NFL Week #3 - Bills at the Dolphins - 2nd half game thread

BuffaloBill

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Why?  Because Josh double clutched a TD pass, or because Quesenberry held when in FG range?  Or when Milano dropped a pick 6? or a bad snap at end of 1st half cost us a FG?

Gimme a break, they overcomed alot this week and came up short because they made too many mistakes in crucial situations.  

Common theme regardless of why in this particular instance, is McDermott doesn’t win close football games… even before Josh, how many points did the Jags score in that playoff game and couldn’t pull off the upset W? He’s still very above average to elite in other facets of coaching, but the fact remains the guy loses close games until he starts proving otherwise.  
I don’t think he’s on any kind of hot seat as nobody wants to go back to what was before, but you do have to think, what coach wouldn’t want a chance to hitch their ride to 17?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's one thing to not blitz but entirely something else to only rush 3 on 3rd and 22. 

ESPECIALLY when you are fielding basically an entirely green secondary against Gesicki, Waddle, Hill, etc..

That was just a dumb call and reminded me of the passive/soft zone fear that allowed our team to crap the bed with 13 seconds left against the Chiefs.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

How does any of that matter? The fact remains, the W was there for the taking, on more than one occasion. Great teams overcome adversity and find a way to win close games. 

Fine, great teams shouldn’t lose any games… so that’s why great teams are always undefeated.

im always optimistic, but I’m a realist too.  The Bills were down plenty of players, playing on a short week in a volcano.  They should have won in a vacuum, but this is football, super bowl champions do in fact lost games.

we lost because we missed opportunities.  Would you rather we are blown out when we lose?

Bills are still the best team in the league, this was the patriots game from last year part two

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

You GTFO.  They didnt lose because McDermott didnt prepare them for the heat.  There is no preparing for that other than what they have done.  

They've played there every year since forever. This was the worst I've seen a Bills team prepared for the heat. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Common theme regardless of why in this particular instance, is McDermott doesn’t win close football games… even before Josh, how many points did the Jags score in that playoff game and couldn’t pull off the upset W? He’s still very above average to elite in other facets of coaching, but the fact remains the guy loses close games until he starts proving otherwise.  
I don’t think he’s on any kind of hot seat as nobody wants to go back to what was before, but you do have to think, what coach wouldn’t want a chance to hitch their ride to 17?

That's fair, if you also look at how many "critical" errors we made in execution, and not coaching.

We botched a FG, Josh missed an easy TD pass, we botched at least 1 (likely 2) end of half FG opportunities and Milano dropped a pick 6 that might have sealed the game.  That's poor execution, not coaching.  We had a backup secondary, minus Taron, and still held Tua to 13 completions....bottom line is we choked on too many critical plays.  That won't happen all the time, but we need to learn to make those plays in close games.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

If we did get the spike off that's exactly what we're trying for. We're talking about not even getting the chance. I know he probably would have missed & that's not why we lost (looking @ you Gabe Davis dropped TD catch, Bass missed FG). But just imagine if Bass had hit from 66 yds. 🤔🙄😆

no when McKenzie landed with 8 seconds, he drops at the 42 yard line making it a 60 yarder to win. Still unlikely but way more realistic 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Lol I think I am going to stay off the board this week.  I can already see the trolls coming out of the woodwork with their pitchforks all week long.

Its one game on a bad week.  The team will be fine.

Around long enough it is a pattern.

The other pattern I have noticed is how Allen plays after a loss like this.... focused, fired-up, and like a machine.

😈

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

They've played there every year since forever. This was the worst I've seen a Bills team prepared for the heat. 

They also had usually an extra day to prep and get fluids in. Game finishes at 4:30 Sunday and the Bills-Titans game ended at 10:30 on Monday that’s 30 less hours than usual to get the team prepped and hydrated and ready to go. 

Just now, Cray51 said:

Fine, great teams shouldn’t lose any games… so that’s why great teams are always undefeated.

im always optimistic, but I’m a realist too.  The Bills were down plenty of players, playing on a short week in a volcano.  They should have won in a vacuum, but this is football, super bowl champions do in fact lost games.

we lost because we missed opportunities.  Would you rather we are blown out when we lose?

Bills are still the best team in the league, this was the patriots game from last year part two

No, I’d rather they be able to win one score games from time to time, it’s either blow out or nothing and that’s not going to cut it.  If they can’t learn to win in these close games, they’re never going to go the distance.  I’m not expecting an undefeated season or anything like that, but after losing the way they did to close out last season, I think a W in this particular spot would’ve gone along way in showing this team has in fact taken another step forward.  

Bringing a little positive to this thread.

It took half our team being down and 100 degree heat for the Dolphins to win by 2 at home. This team was banged up and tired from two big prime time games to start the season. On a short week. Lost Micah for the year. No Poyer. etc., etc. And still had so many chances to pull this one out. Just didn't have enough in the tank to do it.

I'm proud of our guys. They left it all out on the field today, even though they came up short. They literally played their guts out.

And I'm not worried about Miami in the long run. It's only week three. Heal up, rest up, and continue the march next week.

Go Bills!

(And you guys are ridiculous to be calling out McDermott...he's THE main reason we are where we are)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

They also had usually an extra day to prep and get fluids in. Game finishes at 4:30 Sunday and the Bills-Titans game ended at 10:30 on Monday that’s 30 less hours than usual to get the team prepped and hydrated and ready to go. 

It takes less than 24 hours to get hydrated. The problem is keeping that continuous. Apparently the Bills didn't do that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.