Poyer Negotiations post-Hyde injury

KingBoots8

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

True but had Lamar seen him earlier it was an easy TD.  That INT was huge.

Lamar didn't get a chance to see the receiver earlier. He was running for his life from the pass rush. Had he been able to set up and go through his progressions, it would have been an easy TD. The pass rush gave Poyer the time to get over and make that interception.

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Lamar didn't get a chance to see the receiver earlier. He was running for his life from the pass rush. Had he been able to set up and go through his progressions, it would have been an easy TD. The pass rush gave Poyer the time to get over and make that interception.

he was running for his life even with Lawson getting obviously held on that play. All things considered though I’ll take the int over the holding penalty. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t imagine that he doesn’t but not officially announced. I’ll eat my hat if they go back to Mitch now. 

I think they are probably making the Bills wait so they have to prepare for both, although with Trubisky being here all last year, they have a very good idea of what he can and can't do well.

Just now, uninja said:

he was running for his life even with Lawson getting obviously held on that play. All things considered though I’ll take the int over the holding penalty. 

I was shocked to see no hold on that play...Lawson is getting mugged Jerry Hughes style on the play...and speaking of Jerry Hughes...he has 4 sacks already this year.

48 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Question:  If we extend Poyer does it free up cap space this season?   Ideally we add a legit RB along with OBJ 

We are likely 4-0 if he played in Miami....would have had an impact play / not allowed that deep pass to Waddle 

Yes, that deep ball to Waddle was pure safety inexperience. 

I know it's not popular, but I think Poyer's stand out play just makes it more likely that he won't be back next season.  

The reason he didn't get his extension was NOT because there was a disagreement about how much Poyer is worth as a player.  The Bills already know who he is and how he contributes.   He was extended because the Bills know how much they want to spend to keep him.  They have a plan for the position, and they have a plan for overall cap spending and where they want to go with big dollars.  Poyer playing well only widens the gap between what the Bills are willing to pay and what he can get elsewhere.  

The question always has been how much money from some other team is Poyer willing to turn down in order to stay in Buffalo and play for Super Bowls with Hyde and White.   As Poyer plays great, the amount he'd have to walk away from is going to get bigger, which means he's less likely to stay. 

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, that deep ball to Waddle was pure safety inexperience. 

I know it's not popular, but I think Poyer's stand out play just makes it more likely that he won't be back next season.  

The reason he didn't get his extension was NOT because there was a disagreement about how much Poyer is worth as a player.  The Bills already know who he is and how he contributes.   He was extended because the Bills know how much they want to spend to keep him.  They have a plan for the position, and they have a plan for overall cap spending and where they want to go with big dollars.  Poyer playing well only widens the gap between what the Bills are willing to pay and what he can get elsewhere.  

The question always has been how much money from some other team is Poyer willing to turn down in order to stay in Buffalo and play for Super Bowls with Hyde and White.   As Poyer plays great, the amount he'd have to walk away from is going to get bigger, which means he's less likely to stay. 

I hope they find a way to make it work.  He's a foundational piece of this team build. 

Oliver being hurt this year may make him slightly more affordable. 

We can get creative/ restructures and the cap should be going up 

I wouldn't be surprised if Allen reworks his deal to hopefully keep everyone

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yes, Lamar even made mention in his postgame presser that he was forced to back peddle because he had 2 very large D linemen (shaq and Groot) coming at him. Complimentary football at its best.

I love love Poyer but I still think he won't be a Bill in 2023. I just don't see the cap space. We are already couple of millions short in 2023 with just 36 players singed and no obvious cap saving cuts.

We will have to extend/restructure a ton even without Poyer extension and I am pretty sure Beane will be careful with a hole he is willing to dig.

That being said, if he decides to somehow make it work on reasonable terms, I don't blame him. But he needs to start making very hard decisions imo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.