Poyer Negotiations post-Hyde injury

KingBoots8

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This shows you that all players are susceptible to a big injury… especially older

Maybe it’s not wise to throw the bank at a player who will be 32 next season.. at safety 

If he wants cash I’d go two years 

Both of our young backup safeties should be hungry and ready to prove something

Is it the cash? The Bills just gave him a bonus, didn't they? Or is he looking for stability and comfort? 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This shows you that all players are susceptible to a big injury… especially older

Maybe it’s not wise to throw the bank at a player who will be 32 next season.. at safety 

If he wants cash I’d go two years 

Both of our young backup safeties should be hungry and ready to prove something

I would still try to get Poyer a bump, even short term, based on what he's meant to this team. 

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

People keep forgetting who Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer were before they started balling out in McDermott’s system.  

We love them as people, and they’ve been very good players.. but we didn’t sign them as premier FA’s.   They became who they are here. 

No reason we can’t find the next iteration of them in-house, in the draft or via mid-level FA.  

We have a particular type of player we target for the Safety positions, but we don’t need Derwin James back there.  

As people have posted before on Hyde he was a very good player for Green Bay who played multiple roles (both safeties, CB and MCB) for Packers before he became a free agent.  He was first off bench when a player was injured / unavailable despite depth chart.  He appeared to not get a contract because he was not able to play a single role for Packers since they had veterans in those positions.  Many fans / commentators thought he would get a new contract but Packers let him go to free agency and he was one of the first players Bills signed that year.

Figured one of our safeties wouldn’t be here next year. Now we could lose both. Have to imagine this helps Poyer’s side when it comes to negotiations in the offseason especially if Hyde is forced to retire. I thought Poyer was a goner for sure but now think there is at least a chance he stays if willing to take a short extension like 2 yrs max.

7 hours ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Let him walk and draft a safety in the top 3 rounds.  Safeties are replaceable.  I think we are about to see that their success is as much about McDermott and Frazier's scheme than those two being elite.  Don't get me wrong, they are very good.  But I don't think they are irreplaceable.  

Did anyone ever think they're irreplaceable? Everyone is replaceable.

I have no doubt in my mind that we beat Miami last week if Poyer was healthy and played.

Not only the 3rd and 22 deep pass, but also the Tua TD pass would have likely been a Poyer break up.

Poyer traveled 20+ yards to intercept that ball in the endzone today. Excellent play and it won the game.

They gave him his incentive for making extra $$$ this year. He is well toward earning that bonus. Good for him.

Contract extension talks can wait until after we win the SB. He is a great player, no doubt. He is also on the backend of hai career. Beane should be in no rush to give a ton of guaranteed money to him until we see what happens with this team this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.