Poyer Negotiations post-Hyde injury

KingBoots8

We obviously are still learning about the impact and severity of Micah’s injury, but with him being done for 2022 do you think this at all changes Beane’s approach to his contract? Could the possibility of a (now more likely) restructure for Hyde’s contract keep Poyer here for another year or two? 

With Poyer likely not playing tomorrow either it will be nice to see how good our depth can hang, but the depth at Safety is looking thinner than it did a month ago suddenly. I know deep down as much as I want to keep the band together they will be some business decisions made very soon involving fan favorites…

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

This shows you that all players are susceptible to a big injury… especially older

Maybe it’s not wise to throw the bank at a player who will be 32 next season.. at safety 

If he wants cash I’d go two years 

Both of our young backup safeties should be hungry and ready to prove something

• Like (+1) 3

People keep forgetting who Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer were before they started balling out in McDermott’s system.  

We love them as people, and they’ve been very good players.. but we didn’t sign them as premier FA’s.   They became who they are here. 

No reason we can’t find the next iteration of them in-house, in the draft or via mid-level FA.  

We have a particular type of player we target for the Safety positions, but we don’t need Derwin James back there.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Johnson gunna get paid if he can play. Unfortunately, this is a business and you pay for future production, not past. My gut is that both Poyer and Hyde and on their last season as Bills. I for one am very encouraged about Bills management understanding that and Poyer not getting a reworked/extended contract. That’s smart. Why bid against yourself? If you want either back next year, both will be there. 

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

We obviously are still learning about the impact and severity of Micah’s injury, but with him being done for 2022 do you think this at all changes Beane’s approach to his contract? Could the possibility of a (now more likely) restructure for Hyde’s contract keep Poyer here for another year or two? 

With Poyer likely not playing tomorrow either it will be nice to see how good our depth can hang, but the depth at Safety is looking thinner than it did a month ago suddenly. I know deep down as much as I want to keep the band together they will be some business decisions made very soon involving fan favorites…

I would love to see the Bills sign Poyer to reasonable 2-3 year extension that gives him another 16-18 million guaranteed new money.  I would not venture into some larger 25-30 million guaranteed deal that he may be looking for. I think when he saw what Von Miller received at his age ,  Poyer figured he could get a nice guaranteed deal himself.  The problem is Beanne just paid Knox and will need to pay Edmunds & Oliver plus Allen's contract will kick in.

The reality is our safeties Poyer and Hyde are both good players but they are also getting older.  Then you need to ask yourself what they did before coming to Buffalo and playing in Sean's very conservative defensive system?  I also would not be shocked to see Hyde retire given his neck injury,  Eric Wood retired at 31 because of a neck injury. Poyer will be 32 next season and not many players are playing at at high level at that age, so you need to be mindful of how much you're going to pay him.

Not surprised if Beane makes a deadline trade for safety under the age of 30 signed into next season for both this year to help win a Super Bowl and for insurance next season if he needs to start next season without having both Poyer & Hyde.  They can then draft a safety with 1st or 2nd round picks.  

Edited by Niagara Dude

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Johnson gunna get paid if he can play. Unfortunately, this is a business and you pay for future production, not past. My gut is that both Poyer and Hyde and on their last season as Bills. I for one am very encouraged about Bills management understanding that and Poyer not getting a reworked/extended contract. That’s smart. Why bid against yourself? If you want either back next year, both will be there. 

Exactly,  those two were both late round picks who had some very good years with the Bills.  The reality is neither guy is elite or stands out in a big playoff game.  We lost the past 3 seasons in the playoffs because our defence could not make a play and get off the field.  Both great character/smart players,  but you don't reward players for previous years.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think we need more information on both Poyer and Hyde before trying to guess what the Bills will do with Poyer and others after this season.  Is Poyer's foot injury a short or long term injury?  Will Hyde be recovered for next season at full strength? How do Johnson and Hamlin play today and during the season in place of Poyer and Hyde, respectively?

I think there are a lot of questions to be answered before we see how the Bills will proceed with extending or not extending Poyer after this season.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

People keep forgetting who Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer were before they started balling out in McDermott’s system.  

We love them as people, and they’ve been very good players.. but we didn’t sign them as premier FA’s.   They became who they are here. 

No reason we can’t find the next iteration of them in-house, in the draft or via mid-level FA.  

We have a particular type of player we target for the Safety positions, but we don’t need Derwin James back there.  

They were good players when we got them.  The expectations were they would be solid starters. 

They both thrived in McDermotts system. 

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

They were good players when we got them.  The expectations were they would be solid starters. 

They both thrived in McDermotts system. 

Hyde certainly was good. Packer fans hated seeing him walk.

Poyer? Nah. He was JAG.

Regardless, they have both been good players here.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

As much money as Poyer and Hyde probably want, if I were Beane, I would move on from both safeties. They both are on the wrong side of 30. If they keep playing, with age, more and more injuries will become the norm. I appreciate what they’ve both done here, but we want nothing short of a Super Bowl win and having two aging injury riddled safeties isn’t going to cut it.

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Body's not even cold yet, for cryin' out loud....

That’s life in the business world. Nothing personal. The players know this. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hyde has already had a extension & he will be under contract next year when he is expected to return completely healthy so we have at least 1 more season with Hyde but seeing as Poyer has his new agent Rossenhouse which is known for getting people a lot of money i could see him gone unless Poe agree's to a lessor amount to stay due to his loyalty to the team .

Which if he does that will be a huge surprise because most all of the players now are all about their loyalty to the money rather than to the team .

Edited by T master

4 hours ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Let him walk and draft a safety in the top 3 rounds.  Safeties are replaceable.  I think we are about to see that their success is as much about McDermott and Frazier's scheme than those two being elite.  Don't get me wrong, they are very good.  But I don't think they are irreplaceable.  

Players are replaceable, leadership isn't, at least not so easily.

Is one reason why they bring Miller (tried last year with Watt) and they try to keep Milano, Poyer and Hyde.  Until they find a  way  to replace that, some of those players are safe

Edited by poblano
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.