Johnson, Hamlin, a Vet trade?

Wizard

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Honest question, for those posting Johnson and Hamlin will be fine. What are you basing that on? Hyde and Poyer have barely left the field in the last four years. There is very little game tape for any of the back up safeties. For a few years, Neal was the 3rd safety. 

I'm not saying they can't play well, I just don't understand all the posts that say the defense will be fine or that the backups will play well. 

I'm just basing it on confidence.  McD's teams rarely have mental breakdowns, Johnson has been here 3 plus years, and they've had 5 days to prepare as a team.  The Ravens secondary guys got hurt during the game and the rookies were forced into the game.  It might be a little ugly tomorrow but the Bills also have Allen.  The best player in the NFL.

• Agree 2

I think J. Johnson will impress.  He's well-versed in the defense.  

J. Johnson and Hamlin are football players first, athletes second, and they are smart players, well-versed in the defense.  

I'm excited to see what the Bills have here in these guys. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

I just hope we don't overreact and pass final judgment on Johnson and the rookie DBs after this game.

Gonna take them a few games to get used to each other and playing full time.

Lol first pass completed someone will post we need an upgrade in the GDT.. 

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

This is why the Bills built depth on the team. They are better off from within than some outsider. I trust this coaching staff with the secondary more than anything else.

I just want to note the irony that the only person who disagreed with your point is a poster named "nextmanup" :doh:

2 hours ago, Rew said:

They will definitely want to bring in a DB for depth.  As everyone else said, we have safetys and cbs that can play safety ready to play in this system.  Expect some 2-4 year talent that never impressed his former team, but was well rated in draft to join our practice squad or active roster as a backup sometime in the next few weeks.  If they can't find the right guy, then they probably feel comfortable with who they have, baring another injury.

HAMSAH NASIRILDEEN?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I understand what you are saying but that logic doesn't really work. That would be akin to saying Barkley has been in the same QB room for three years and can function well in relief of Allen. 

The only real reason people are optimistic is because they are unknowns. We don't know how they are going to play so people are assuming just because Hyde and Poyer developed in McD's system so will these other guys. They very well may and then even more kudos to McD and Frazier for coaching them up. 

Tomorrow will be a great test. Beane failed to get Von Miller last year to put us over the top. We need to see if these kids are good enough or if Beane needs to make a move. All in this year no matter the cost.

To be fair to the discussion comparing Allen with Barkley and Hyde to Johnson is not relevant. Athletically a massive gap vs similar athleticism vs instincts and experience. No suggestion that Hyde won’t be a loss but the drop off comparison is apples/oranges. I’m optimistic because LF is. Hope that makes sense. I feel your concern for sure. 

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

To be fair to the discussion comparing Allen with Barkley and Hyde to Johnson is not relevant. Athletically a massive gap vs similar athleticism vs instincts and experience. No suggestion that Hyde won’t be a loss but the drop off comparison is apples/oranges. I’m optimistic because LF is. Hope that makes sense. I feel your concern for sure. 

Umm... sorry but there is a MASSIVE gap between Johnson and Hyde athletically, pull their profiles on Playerprofiler.com ... Johnson is near bottom percentile in every athletic measurement, plus he's undersized.  Not a good combo. Hyde is bigger eh 4.56 speed, Johnson is small with 4.69 speed.  Eesh.

47 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Backup saftey is the biggest hole on this roster, has been for years, we have competely ignored it and now that is about to rear its ugly head. 

We are going to need a trade. I will be floored if Johnson or Hamlin is anything less than exploited.

We have not completely ignored it you cannot be all pro at every position you have to take young guys and bring them along and back up positions which is exactly what we did

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We have not completely ignored it you cannot be all pro at every position you have to take young guys and bring them along and back up positions which is exactly what we did

Oh stop with the strawman.  All pro every position? Be serious. We have made zero investment at all in backup safety and we have 2 guys in their 30s. Johnson lacks athleticism and size and was drafted in the 6th round 4 years ago. Hamlin is a rookie drafted in the 6th, also bad bottom 25th percentile athleticism.

Throwing grinder special teamer type 6th round pick against the wall isn't a serious investment. 

Maybe the kids surprise but this is a weak link of the roster. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Oh stop with the strawman.  All pro every position? Be serious. We have made zero investment at all in backup safety and we have 2 guys in their 30s. Johnson lacks athleticism and size and was drafted in the 6th round 4 years ago. Hamlin is a rookie drafted in the 6th, also bad bottom 25th percentile athleticism.

Throwing grinder special teamer type 6th round pick against the wall isn't a serious investment. 

Maybe the kids surprise but this is a weak link of the roster. 

There is no strawman every team in the league does this you cannot have a highly paid player at every position there’s this thing called the salary cap therefore you have to draft them and then groom them  The bills decided to invest their draft picks on the dl

every team Hast to pick and choose where those investments are going to go pass rush was the right route

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think with Poyer banged up too that a trade becomes a real

possibility. The issue is there probably really aren’t that many guys around the league that are upgrades, at a reasonable price. Or maybe we can get Hayden to come in and play S

I think a lot is going to depend on how they knew tomorrow we are putting a lot of trust into Johnson and Hamlin I am a fan of both players

Poyer and Hyde were free agents before they came here and took control. Poyer was a rescue from the Browns who hadn’t done much, and Hyde was originally in GB where he was flashing but not the player he is now. I trust our coaching to have either developed our guys to be ready to take over when the time comes, or at least have their eyes open for the next wave of under appreciated safeties.

Miami is the first test to see if our heir apparents in the secondary are ready to take over. Rookie CB’s, backup Safeties, etc.

Our best case scenario is these guys light it up and make victory all the sweeter. We can only hope that it may be hard for some of the vets to take their jobs back full time should these guys show up. worst case they just need to stay healthy and lean on Josh to outgun Tua.

11 hours ago, Wizard said:

Damn. Losing Hyde really hurts from his talent, professionalism, and as a true culture creator of the Bills' identity and defense.

I think Johnson is a serviceable starter and Hamlin gives alright depth.

Any safety vets on non-playoff teams that may reasonably be looked at in a trade?

The Bills have not made a significant in-season move to their roster since signing Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 - McDermott & Beane’s first year.  

The only way I see a trade happening would be if Johnson and/or Hamlin struggles badly

8 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Your flying on a commuter jet. You'll be lucky to have a bathroom. Plus the Bills game is not televised locally in Philly. Better find a bar with an NFL package. 

I know brother.  I checked the 506 maps.  I was going to see if I could stay in the airport and watch there, but liklihood a bar in the airport has the ticket is low.  Im going to tell Uber to find me a sports bar on the way to my hotel.  I appreciate the advice.  I mentioned this as I thought a couple of you would have ideas.

Go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.