Safety depth

Success

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

That could well be his future as it might better fit his skillset. I'm super excited about his future. I know his measureables aren't that impressive, but the same was true of Don Maynard and he's in the HOF. I know that's a remote possibility, but I'd wager he'll be a better player than Levi Wallace before long.

Did you watch the Cleveland-Pittsburgh game? He’s already better than Wallace.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Jaquiski Tartt is out there and he’s an interesting player - also a top-3 name.

He's a box safety

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There's a couple of vacant apartments in my mom's retirement community in West Seneca.

It's fairly close to the stadium.

When you are looking for 1 year stop gaps it matters less how old they are. If his foot is healthy and he wants to play he's a better ballhawking/coverage safety option at 35 than most of the people we are discussing.

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When you are looking for 1 year stop gaps it matters less how old they are. If his foot is healthy and he wants to play he's a better ballhawking/coverage safety option at 35 than most of the people we are discussing.

You sure you don't have your McCourty brothers mixed up?

Here are the top 4 safety FA's listed in the current Madden roster file along with their age and overall rating for what it's worth. Keep in mind that players that don't see the field often get lower ratings than they deserve until they get to display their ability more often. All 4 of these guys are listed at SS and might not be the best fit. All other FA safeties are rated 73 or lower. Our highest rated S after 21 and 23 is Johnson who is overall 68. Damar is 66 -- very weak ratings and probably not accurate. Also, I wonder if they would use a typical SS and adjust schemes if that were an option and let Poyer play FS.  Or they could just bring in a reliable backup and go with that.

Anthony Harris, 30, 80

Landon Collins, 28, 78

Tony Jefferson, 30, 76

Bradley McDougald, 31, 75

• Thank you (+1) 1

I said this another thread, but dropping it here as well:

• Micah Hyde was a 5th round pick who never earned a full starting role in Green Bay. In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he shined. 
  • Jordan Poyer was drafted in the 200s and was primarily a backup journeyman to start his career. In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he shined. 
  • Levi Wallace was a 7th round draft pick. Maybe he didn't shine, but In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he played well above his projection. 
  • Christian Benford was a 6th round draft pick. It's still early, but In McDermott's and Frazier's defense, he looks like he will shine. 

If there is any positional group on this team where I believe a significant injury can be weathered, it is the secondary. Jaquan Johnson has been in the system for 3 full years and learning behind two of the absolute best. He'll give up some plays and make some mistakes, but I have a feeling he is going to ball out in this defense. And if there's a drop off from Micah to Jaquan, I anticipate it only being a small drop-off. 

I don't see them moving Benford or Jackson to safety... they like them too much at corner. This is Johnson's time to shine. If Johnson struggles, maybe they look to make a trade... but with the cap where it's at, I don't think they swing for any big name players.

But again, I've got a growing feeling that #4 is going to hit the ground running. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Here are the top 4 safety FA's listed in the current Madden roster file along with their age and overall rating for what it's worth. Keep in mind that players that don't see the field often get lower ratings than they deserve until they get to display their ability more often. All 4 of these guys are listed at SS and might not be the best fit. All other FA safeties are rated 73 or lower. Our highest rated S after 21 and 23 is Johnson who is overall 68. Damar is 66 -- very weak ratings and probably not accurate. Also, I wonder if they would use a typical SS and adjust schemes if that were an option and let Poyer play FS.  Or they could just bring in a reliable backup and go with that.

Anthony Harris, 30, 80

Landon Collins, 28, 78

Tony Jefferson, 30, 76

Bradley McDougald, 31, 75

Anthony Harris was elite in his prime. So I'd be willing to kick the tires there. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He's a box safety

SF had him playing deeper and he did well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MPL said:

If there is any positional group on this team where I believe a significant injury can be weathered, it is the secondary. Jaquan Johnson has been in the system for 3 full years and learning behind two of the absolute best. He'll give up some plays and make some mistakes, but I have a feeling he is going to ball out in this defense. And if there's a drop off from Micah to Jaquan, I anticipate it only being a small drop-off. 

Well said. Anyone they pickup likely never reaches the knowledge and comfort level Johnson already has in this defense. 

13 minutes ago, MPL said:

I said this another thread, but dropping it here as well:

• Micah Hyde was a 5th round pick who never earned a full starting role in Green Bay. In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he shined. 
  • Jordan Poyer was drafted in the 200s and was primarily a backup journeyman to start his career. In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he shined. 
  • Levi Wallace was a 7th round draft pick. Maybe he didn't shine, but In McDermott's and Frazier's defense he played well above his projection. 
  • Christian Benford was a 6th round draft pick. It's still early, but In McDermott's and Frazier's defense, he looks like he will shine. 

I don't see them moving Benford or Jackson to safety... they like them too much at corner. This is Johnson's time to shine. If Johnson struggles, maybe they look to make a trade... but with the cap where it's at, I don't think they swing for any big name players.

But again, I've got a growing feeling that #4 is going to hit the ground running. 

This also might just be me trying to make myself feel better lol. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Benford can add safety depth too imo when Tre returns assuming Dane is healthy. It feels like a great role for him.

siran Neal?

yeah I think that would be a great move. 

CB - Tredavious

S - Poyer

S - Benford

CB Dane Jackson

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

I was wondering about Neal also.  I'm all fuzzy today, but I thought he was our backup safety previously (though he's on the CB depth chart this year).

Neal is primarily backup at nickel CB. He's struggled on the boundary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.