Safety depth

Success

Apologies if this isn't worth a 2nd thread, but w/ the Hyde news, I was curious what everyone's thoughts were on this.

When Tre gets back, we'll be very deep at corner.  I don't know enough about the game to guess on this, but is there a chance they try to convert one of the CB's to safety for the remainder of the season?  Or do you think they'll look at either picking up a vet (not sure whose out there), either pulling someone out of retirement or making a trade?

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

It’s Poyer, Johnson, Hamlin, and Cam Lewis.

Johnson, Hamlin, and Lewis have been in this system awhile so I see them giving their guys a shot first before considering a different move 

Thanks - completely forgot about Lewis....

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Benford can add safety depth too imo when Tre returns assuming Dane is healthy. It feels like a great role for him.

siran Neal?

I was wondering about Neal also.  I'm all fuzzy today, but I thought he was our backup safety previously (though he's on the CB depth chart this year).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Cam Lewis has been playing safety with us for a while. Practices and preseason, primarily. He played some games last year in relief at safety.

Also, poyer and Hyde we're both cbs in college and converted.

If anyone can coach a DB it's this crew 

Great point, and people forget that Hyde  & Poyer didn’t become elite Safeties until they came to Buffalo.   

That’s not to downplay how good they are, but McDermott and co. seem to be elite at identifying, scheming and coaching up the secondary. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think Jaquan Johnson is gonna be alright. Even in garbage time when he's played he's shown a knack for the ball. Everything I read on him coming out of college said he's everything you want in a safety, instincts, reads, etc. he's just not the biggest dude. 

I saw some mentions of Siran Neal, he seems to kinda be a jack of all trades DB for them but it would seem they like him best at corner when needed and then he's the gunner on special teams. I suspect they'll be doing some shuffling around to figure out what's gonna work best.

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Success said:

I was wondering about Neal also.  I'm all fuzzy today, but I thought he was our backup safety previously (though he's on the CB depth chart this year).

He was drafted as a safety out of college and I think listed as a safety his first year. But he has played as a nickel corner, a dime or a "big nickel" when he has got in games for us on D.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.