Micah to IR (out for the year per his agent)

FireChans

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stenbar said:

Call me crazy, i would move Tre to Hyde's spot at safety, when he comes back. Less stress on the knee and he would thrive as well in that spot, as long  as the corners playing now do not falter. Would definitely add a few different looks to the defense.

you're crazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I think safety was our safety blanket for managing significant time with a rookie statue CB. Losing Hyde hurts that and creates a little more urgency around Tre coming back IMO. 

I agree to a point, but Johnson has shown to be solid. Tre coming back means exactly that S will have less to worry about. Plus we still have our D line creating pressure with 4 in the meantime even if DT is a little thin at the moment. 

Anyone remember the '72 Dolphins (the "greatest team ever")? Their starting QB, Bob Griese, went down in game 5 and their backup (Earl Morall) played the rest of the way, except the superbowl.  As I recall, they went 17-0.

Anyone around here ever hear of Frank Reich?  Do you remember that Thurman was also out for the comeback game against Houston?

As a famous person once said, R-E-L-A-X

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Im pretty sure this is legit.  It’s terrible news - he must have a herniated disc in his neck that will require surgery

While disc herniation is possibly  involved , by way of chronic degeneration , the history and this incident doesn’t  fit with that as the main issue.  Usually an acute herniated disc is very painful and would have probably been causing issues even before the last game.  There are no reports of this type of symptoms.  Plus with an acute herniation , there are things you can do to help alleviate symptoms such as time , steroids , blocks , that could have perhaps not ended his whole season. 

The most likely situation ( and I am speaking about this both as a doc having seen patients with this and unfortunately  experienced it myself which failed to improve after surgery and subsequently forced my retirement as I am left with no feeling in either arm or hands) is SPINAL STENOSIS in his neck ( cervical cord impingement).  This is why an otherwise common or minor hit caused unusual NEURO symptoms for him prompting his hospital visit after the game.  The cord sits in a Canal , surrounded by vertebral bodies with discs in between those vertebrae.   With time ( and also things like chronic trauma such as football impacts , and genetic predisposition) the discs deteriorate and this triggers the body to lay down bone spurs around the area.  Eventually the canal the cord sits in gets so narrow that the cord is impinged on and certain positions or movements ( Like hyperextending the neck on a tackle ) press on the cord and it places you in danger of permanent cord damage or even severing the cord.   Depending on the level or how high the entrapment is , you become at increasing risk of motor loss , sensory loss, and of course , even paralysis like para or quadriplegia.  The big key is YOU GET NO WARNING MOST OF THE TIME , AND THE NARROWING FINALLY REACHES A CRITICAL LEVEL  , you start getting ongoing symptoms and you can experience neuro deficits with even mild movements  that further pinch the cervical cord.  Any hit could put  him at risk of permanent paralysis or worse. It is diagnosed on MRI , and I would bet he was told the stenosis was severe enough that they told him he was at risk  of paralysis if he was hit and his cord could be permanently damaged. So , it suddenly becomes a life and death , life quality issue , without much if any history of prior warning symptoms.  Eric Wood retired because of this risk. 

The only solution is surgery , most commonly called an ACDF ( anterior cervical decompression and fixation), as the stenosis only worsens with time ( as opposed to a herniated disc which improves over time as swelling goes down ).  The surgery involves going in from the front of the neck , removing bone spurs and deteriorated discs , placing cages to replace the discs which are usually filled with cadaver bone that  grows and fuses in place over months to stabilize the space around the cord and limit neck movement , and they also place some stabilizing plates with screws as well.    ( I had 4 levels done with 5 herniated discs , had no warning except two weeks before being diagnosed my arms went numb and I was in denial thinking I might be having carpal tunnel  , no trauma , just chronic disc deterioration).  It is a fairly uncomfortable surgery , requires quite a bit of time to heal as the bone grafts have to fuse, and there is no way you could play any contact sports until the neurosurgeon approves and they are certain there is adequate space around the cervical spinal cord.  Even with surgery , there is no promise you could return to sports ( depends on how severe the condition, narrowing is and surgery result ) as it’s mostly about being sure you don’t become a quad or paraplegic in the future as you continue to age. If he’s lucky and it’s just 1 or 2 levels , he might have a chance to play next year, but that’s if things go perfectly.  Time will tell of course. 

This is just for educational purposes about this condition as I have not seen his mri or heard results posted yet.  But his sudden symptoms, what I saw during the game, his need  for the hospital visit , desire  to get second opinions, all probably stems from being told he has stenosis on mri placing his cord at risk,  and he shouldn’t play without surgery and indeed, it could be life or career threatening if he doesn’t undergo corrective procedures.  I suspected this would happen when he was a dnp at practice and he was seeking second opinions.  It just fits with all we have seen , and the history and prognosis involving spinal stenosis.   I really feel for him , as he was playing at a high level , but if the canal is so narrowed that a light hit caused symptoms, he was at risk of paralysis with a bad hit or even just worsening over time.  It is a mechanical problem.  It’s like pinching a garden hose cutting the flow of water, except here if the cord is pinched it can’t send signals below the level of stenosis and results in weakness, numbness or paralysis.  

I wish him nothing but the best as he is one of my favorite Bills on this team.   I suspect he will undergo surgery sometime soon and we will probably hear about that.  It’s not emergent surgery unless he suddenly deteriorated, but it’s the only mechanical fix ( there are a few procedures to chose from however).  Please don’t attack me for just posting my OPINION  based on observing his situation and also in knowing the history of this condition.  It’s an educated guess without the mri , but it fits , and it explains why he needs to be on IR ( as opposed to a simple acute herniated disc).  It’s a big blow for the team but his future is at risk.  I hope he returns, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up retiring ( hard to accept that being thrown at you out of nowhere ).  He is a class act and will be missed this year.   You can’t replace his experience! 😊

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Trade deadline is November 1. The way I see it, Jaquan Johnson gets a 4 game audition to prove he's ready to be the future at safety. If he fails his audition we make a move.

4 games is enough time to end a season, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Guess that means there’s no reason for you to post the rest of the season

Do you only post when the Bills are doing well? Fair-weather?

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

While disc herniation is possibly  involved , by way of chronic degeneration , the history and this incident doesn’t  fit with that as the main issue.  Usually an acute herniated disc is very painful and would have probably been causing issues even before the last game.  There are no reports of this type of symptoms.  Plus with an acute herniation , there are things you can do to help alleviate symptoms such as time , steroids , blocks , that could have perhaps not ended his whole season. 

The most likely situation ( and I am speaking about this both as a doc having seen patients with this and unfortunately  experienced it myself which failed to improve after surgery and subsequently forced my retirement as I am left with no feeling in either arm or hands) is SPINAL STENOSIS in his neck ( cervical cord impingement).  This is why an otherwise common or minor hit caused unusual NEURO symptoms for him prompting his hospital visit after the game.  The cord sits in a Canal , surrounded by vertebral bodies with discs in between those vertebrae.   With time ( and also things like chronic trauma such as football impacts , and genetic predisposition) the discs deteriorate and this triggers the body to lay down bone spurs around the area.  Eventually the canal the cord sits in gets so narrow that the cord is impinged on and certain positions or movements ( Like hyperextending the neck on a tackle ) press on the cord and it places you in danger of permanent cord damage or even severing the cord.   Depending on the level or how high the entrapment is , you become at increasing risk of motor loss , sensory loss, and of course , even paralysis like para or quadriplegia.  The big key is YOU GET NO WARNING MOST OF THE TIME , AND THE NARROWING FINALLY REACHES A CRITICAL LEVEL  , you start getting ongoing symptoms and you can experience neuro deficits with even mild movements  that further pinch the cervical cord.  Any hit could put  him at risk of permanent paralysis or worse. It is diagnosed on MRI , and I would bet he was told the stenosis was severe enough that they told him he was at risk  of paralysis if he was hit and his cord could be permanently damaged. So , it suddenly becomes a life and death , life quality issue , without much if any history of prior warning symptoms.  Eric Wood retired because of this risk. 

The only solution is surgery , most commonly called an ACDF ( anterior cervical decompression and fixation), as the stenosis only worsens with time ( as opposed to a herniated disc which improves over time as swelling goes down ).  The surgery involves going in from the front of the neck , removing bone spurs and deteriorated discs , placing cages to replace the discs which are usually filled with cadaver bone that  grows and fuses in place over months to stabilize the space around the cord and limit neck movement , and they also place some stabilizing plates with screws as well.    ( I had 4 levels done with 5 herniated discs , had no warning except two weeks before being diagnosed my arms went numb and I was in denial thinking I might be having carpal tunnel  , no trauma , just chronic disc deterioration).  It is a fairly uncomfortable surgery , requires quite a bit of time to heal as the bone grafts have to fuse, and there is no way you could play any contact sports until the neurosurgeon approves and they are certain there is adequate space around the cervical spinal cord.  Even with surgery , there is no promise you could return to sports ( depends on how severe the condition, narrowing is and surgery result ) as it’s mostly about being sure you don’t become a quad or paraplegic in the future as you continue to age. If he’s lucky and it’s just 1 or 2 levels , he might have a chance to play next year, but that’s if things go perfectly.  Time will tell of course. 

This is just for educational purposes about this condition as I have not seen his mri or heard results posted yet.  But his sudden symptoms, what I saw during the game, his need  for the hospital visit , desire  to get second opinions, all probably stems from being told he has stenosis on mri placing his cord at risk,  and he shouldn’t play without surgery and indeed, it could be life or career threatening if he doesn’t undergo corrective procedures.  I suspected this would happen when he was a dnp at practice and he was seeking second opinions.  It just fits with all we have seen , and the history and prognosis involving spinal stenosis.   I really feel for him , as he was playing at a high level , but if the canal is so narrowed that a light hit caused symptoms, he was at risk of paralysis with a bad hit or even just worsening over time.  It is a mechanical problem.  It’s like pinching a garden hose cutting the flow of water, except here if the cord is pinched it can’t send signals below the level of stenosis and results in weakness, numbness or paralysis.  

I wish him nothing but the best as he is one of my favorite Bills on this team.   I suspect he will undergo surgery sometime soon and we will probably hear about that.  It’s not emergent surgery unless he suddenly deteriorated, but it’s the only mechanical fix ( there are a few procedures to chose from however).  Please don’t attack me for just posting my OPINION  based on observing his situation and also in knowing the history of this condition.  It’s an educated guess without the mri , but it fits , and it explains why he needs to be on IR ( as opposed to a simple acute herniated disc).  It’s a big blow for the team but his future is at risk.  I hope he returns, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up retiring ( hard to accept that being thrown at you out of nowhere ).  He is a class act and will be missed this year.   You can’t replace his experience! 😊

Maybe the cliff notes version next time and not the treatise for a football thread doc. 😃.   Just kidding. Thanks for thoughts. I think we miss his leadership more than anything. I’m betting he is retired after this but who knows. His INT against the Pats is one of all time great Bills plays.  Go Bills. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Summary for those who read a long post: Its probably Spinal Stenosis, and DrPJax posts on the forum without the use of his arms or hands.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m usually super excited at this time Saturday before a Sunday morning game.  This injury has put a gloom on my day.  Such a special kid that deserves to be a key component in a special championship season. I’m sad that he won’t be able to experience that this season.  Let’s hope this is the last big injury.   

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.