Mafia descending on Miami, Phins fans not happy about it...

Inigo Montoya

53 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Depends how far inland, western Broward County is a lot of affluent golf communities, but the I95 corridor is sketchy. Coral Gables is inland in Dade, it pretty nice. Palm Beach County, where I live, is largest county in Florida. There are some nice communities inland, (I don’t want to live in any of them, I live a block from the beach). Way out west near the lake those communities are poor, a lot of NFL players come from there.

I live about an hour from Miami, Miami Beach is great, Biscayne Bay is beautiful. Out where the stadium is isn’t great. As far as fans go, I’ve been to a bunch of Bills games there, only had two bad experiences, one with a Bills fan. Having spent years in the bar, restaurant business I can say with some authority that most drunk people are stupid and stupidity supersedes geography.

I don’t believe we’ve ever met, and yet you have classified me.

When we lived in Sarasota for almost 20 years (strangely I don’t consider myself a horrible person despite that) we drove down to see the Orange Bowl once. Notre Dame vs FSU, I think.  We got off at the wrong exit. I thought we had landed in a third world country and we feared for our lives. I’ve never seen anything quite like it, but I found myself in the wrong part of downtown Philly one time which is a clear “scary #2”. 

Every city has those areas, some much worse than others. You just have to be careful to avoid them. Miami also has some fabulously beautiful areas. Take the bad with the good. 

I would move back to Sarasota in a heartbeat. Gazillions of other people agree, based upon property prices. I doubt they are all horrible people. MANY of them have been bright and successful people who can afford to live wherever they want. That is their choice. I don’t judge them or begrudge them. Just like anyone who has wishes different than my own.

No offense to many, MANY of the people here, but while I love Buffalo most of the year, I could never live there full time again. I’ve even sniffed around for a summer/fall home there once the wife retires. But not for 12 months. That does not make anyone else “wrong” or “horrible”. You have your reasons, and I have mine. 

• Like (+1) 6

25 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Since I’m guessing you don’t actually live on a Death Star , in what utopian paradise do you reside?

Some of FL is very nice.  If I was loaded I might buy a place on stilts on Captiva Island and stay there the day after Christmas until Easter.  Then I'd go back up to WNY. 

But the dude talking smack about Buffalo might have lived in Hialeah, and born in NJ, in which case, glass houses MAY apply...

That said -  cheers to a good game on Sunday!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

Depends how far inland, western Broward County is a lot of affluent golf communities, but the I95 corridor is sketchy. Coral Gables is inland in Dade, it pretty nice. Palm Beach County, where I live, is largest county in Florida. There are some nice communities inland, (I don’t want to live in any of them, I live a block from the beach). Way out west near the lake those communities are poor, a lot of NFL players come from there.

I live about an hour from Miami, Miami Beach is great, Biscayne Bay is beautiful. Out where the stadium is isn’t great. As far as fans go, I’ve been to a bunch of Bills games there, only had two bad experiences, one with a Bills fan. Having spent years in the bar, restaurant business I can say with some authority that most drunk people are stupid and stupidity supersedes geography.

I just accepted a promotion and am moving from Vegas to Fort Lauderdale in the next month or so! Very disappointed this game is so early in the season. 

I'd love to pick your brain sometime. I've got some big decisions to make soon on where to live. 

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

medical research

B.S. 3-5M people, a couple universities hospitals research is expected. I call bull crap. Miami makes nothing, invents nothing, schools suck. Never heard anyone say it’s a great place raise a family. I have heard it’s a great place to go and die. 

P.S. probably a surge in remote workers! But, still, schools are horrific. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, chris heff said:

I lived in Delray and Boca during 4 separate internships I did in college in the mid 80's with IBM (remember when they were there?).  In Delray there was a cool bar right on the beach we used to go to all the time can't remember the name - years later I took a trip to the area with my wife to check out all my old haunts - most of them gone.   The neighborhood of the house I lived in Delray (couldn't tell you where now) had gone downhill - there were bars on all the windows.  Had a good time in my time there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.