Josh vs Tua

Billzgobowlin

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ve watched just about every second of the dolphins two games this season and I think people are overestimating the system being kinder to tua actually.  Not saying he isn’t better but he’s certainly not much better.  Tuas performed about the same against decent coverage as last season…that ravens 4th quarter is going to be a crazy statistical outlier because of how bad that secondary was communicating down the stretch.    He’s a mostly one read qb who just won’t throw the ball in tight windows and it showed for 7/8 quarters of the season.

he’s laser accurate when his receiver has a step but he seems pretty hesitant to try to throw guys open.

They have had plenty of drives stall out dumping the ball out in the flats and losing 4-5 yards when he has receivers open downfield.

he looks like he’s still holding the team back to me so I hope people keep talking him up honestly.  Lamar would be pretty scary with that supporting cast and I’ve heard that rumored. 

I'm really looking forward to this game.  Hope to see the Bills use Groot more at DT and get in some throwing lanes.  I haven't seen enough of Tua, but I do think McDaniel is going to be a decent coach for them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That game isn’t even from this year. Remember how butt hurt fans got when media/other fan groups would use Josh’s first 2 seasons to discredit how good he was when he broke into the scene? 

Not saying Tua is Josh, I’m just saying he may not be trash. He could be a solid starting NFL QB.

K go watch both games this year.  He was trash in 6-7 quarters of football and threw some TD passes to blown coverage where the receiver was open by like 5-10 yards in the 8th.  Not a QB in the NFL that couldnt make those throws.  Has he made some nice passes?  Sure but Nate Peterman has even made some nice passes.  All QBs that made it to the NFL has made some nice passes.  Tua has not faced any pressure this season.  When he does is when you will get the throws like you seen in the video you are complaining about.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

K go watch both games this year.  He was trash in 6-7 quarters of football and threw some TD passes to blown coverage where the receiver was open by like 5-10 yards in the 8th.  Not a QB in the NFL that couldnt make those throws.  Has he made some nice passes?  Sure but Nate Peterman has even made some nice passes.  All QBs that made it to the NFL has made some nice passes.  Tua has not faced any pressure this season.  When he does is when you will get the throws like you seen in the video you are complaining about.

I was in the dolphins ravens game day thread on Reddit last week and most of the dolphins fans wanted him benched at halftime. 

He’s accurate when his receiver is wide open like his receivers at Alabama often were but he seems so gun-shy about throws in tight windows.  He either throws the ball into the turf or doesn’t attempt the pass at all

he doesn’t have the arm strength for out routes and he isn’t great at keeping his eyes downfield when he scrambles.  That dolphins offense is stacked and tua is going to hold them back by being not much more than a game manager.  I still think the dolphins would be good but they could be much better if they upgrade the qb position.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I was in the dolphins ravens game day thread on Reddit last week and most of the dolphins fans wanted him benched at halftime. 

He’s accurate when his receiver is wide open like his receivers at Alabama often were but he seems so gun-shy about throws in tight windows.  He either throws the ball into the turf or doesn’t attempt the pass at all

he doesn’t have the arm strength for out routes and he isn’t great at keeping his eyes downfield when he scrambles.  That dolphins offense is stacked and tua is going to hold them back by being not much more than a game manager.  I still think the dolphins would be good but they could be much better if they upgrade the qb position.

Agree.  They have monster players on offense.  Id hate to see that team with someone like Herbert.  I dont think Tua is terrible but people say a QB makes the WR.  In this case, I think the WR is making Tua and even then it was only like 1-2 quarters of football.

Edited by Scott7975

Tua is going to be a decent middle of the pack NFL starter. He can make *most* NFL throws. 

In terms of peak, he feels like a Tyrod Taylor-level QB with less arm and minus the running ability obviously, but maybe more accurate. 

But Tyrod never had Tyreek Hill and Waddle and Gisecki to throw to. That's some wide catch radiuses right there. 

I watched the Ravens game. He made decent throws. The Dolphins receivers had an obscene amount of YAC. And Hill's touchdowns were underthrown, underchalleneged by DBs, or wide open. The game winning TD I can't take anything away from. Clutch and nice throw. 

He can't take then further than 10-7. Probably ever. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, boater said:

That's not a shabby record.

True. 

I guess I was saying that they'll never be more than a wildcard type team with Tua. 

If I was Dolphins GM and I was serious about building a SB contender for the long term, I would be quietly looking at other QB options. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So national media is pumping up how good Tua has been.  I'm curious is this just hyperbole or is there something to it?  I see Josh Allen being a much better passer as far as accuracy, decision making and arm strength.  I also see him being the more mobile QB.  Help me take off these rose colored glasses if you are seeing something that I am not.  I think the rest of our team even with injures is better maybe except for the speed and ability of their top two wideouts (even then Diggs and Davis can't be much behind).  

he had a very good quarter to half of football

most media watched highlights and like flashy proclamations

he had a not particularly productive 6 or so quarters prior. 

Who knows what shows up Sunday but he’s not shown he’s that guy for long stretches yet 

Obviously, Tua has physical shortcomings relative to Josh that are never going way.  Deep passes are going to float.  That's the only way he can throw deep.  Tua will never be the running threat that Josh is.   Still, he can be an effective QB.  The problem for the Bills is every player in the secondary for the Bills will essentially be a depth player except for Taron Johnson.  Elam and Benford are starting because Dane Jackson is injured and Tre White is still on IR for a couple more weeks at least.  Then, of course, Poyer looks to be out and Hyde is gone for the rest of the season, leaving Johnson and Hamlin to play.  All four guy have played well for the Bills when they've been on the field, but with Waddle and Hill lining up across from Benford and elam, the pressure is going to be sky high.  I think the Bills win, but this is not going to be easy.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Nate Peterman...nice passes...

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

There is no Tua vs. Josh, the comparison is just silly. 32 out of 32 teams pick Josh 100% of the time.

You can debate if Tua is a serviceable NFL starter but that's about it. I honestly think he will have flashes but never be consistent enough to be a franchise QB.

This times one million. There is nothing Tua does better than Josh on any kind of consistent basis.  If you’re starting a new franchise you take Josh or Mahomes first… and it’s not even a question. 

Josh makes everyone better. 
Tua needs to be elevated by the players around him. 

Im sure some Dolphins fan would find a way to disagree on all of above. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.