Hurricane Season 2022 - Florida Now in the Bullseye

T&C

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Huh? They're not that different in size based on those pictures. The Charley picture is zoomed out more.

Say what you want about the picture, but the information is true....Our local meteorologist said this on the news.

Speaking as someone who lived through both storms, I can tell you that the core of Charley took about 30 minutes to pass over my area, whereas the core of Ian took over 30 hours to pass over my area.

55 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Syracuse actually gets more total snowfall per year than Buffalo on average. It's just we have those pesky Lake Effect snowbands that can dump 7ft of snow in a day and a half.  I was stranded at work for 3 days, 2 inches of snow, while my wife at home in Cheektowaga had the 7 feet. 

Yup.  But they don't consider snow a natural disaster.  It can be shoveled and it melts.

• Like (+1) 1

I guess snowstorms within reason... But in the grand scheme of things other natural disasters grossly outweigh a snowstorm.  And of course they are using a weighted scale when making these lists. Unless a tree falls through you're living room while your watching TV or your roof collapses... Given technology like modern vehicles with front wheel drive, banking apps, Direct Deposit, etc... Snowstorms have been mitigated much better in modern times.

Snow just spreads the pain and inconvenience out over a consistent time period: Winter.  A tornado,  wild fire, earthquake, hurricane will wipe you out in moments. 

The snowiest place on earth is on a North Island in Japan.  Somehow they live with it, thrive. Don't lose everything they have worked for. 

Just my $0.02.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

The way I took it. the entirety of Hurricane Charley would fit inside Ian's eye.

After reading again it's the hurricane force winds of Charley can fit inside the eye of Ian. Charlie's hurricane force winds only extended 15 miles and the eye of Ian was 40 miles, Ian's hurricane force winds extended out 100 miles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Why keep rebuilding?  Leave it and move to a safer location. People shouldn't live in flood plains and neither should they live in paths of storms.  The population growth is unsustainable. Florida needs to stop taking charity and passing their problems on to other more responsible areas. People walked out of the Dust Bowls in the 1930s, they can walk off the coasts in the 2020s. 

Maybe institute an income tax to fund their own clean ups... The north doesn't ask for snow removal money.

I am not trying to be mean, but the danger zones need to be more responsible.  The population growth is unsustainable and reckless in these places. Sure, some people can live there, but return the areas to how they handle these storms... As barriers. The incentives to move to these areas is reckless.  A premium needs to be charged for living in the path of destruction. Enough is enough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why keep rebuilding?  Leave it and move to a safer location. People shouldn't live in flood plains and neither should they live in paths of storms.  The population growth is unsustainable. Florida needs to stop taking charity and passing their problems on to other more responsible areas. People walked out of the Dust Bowls in the 1930s, they can walk off the coasts in the 2020s. 

Maybe institute an income tax to fund their own clean ups... The north doesn't ask for snow removal money.

I am not trying to be mean, but the danger zones need to be more responsible.  The population growth is unsustainable and reckless in these places. Sure, some people can live there, but return the areas to how they handle these storms... As barriers. The incentives to move to these areas is reckless.  A premium needs to be charged for living in the path of destruction. Enough is enough.

Why would insurance companies even insure people living there? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

See not everything is bad.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:33 AM, Tiberius said:

Insurance companies know what they are doing, don't you worry. They make money even in disasters.

The editor nailed it here... About the living in climate danger zones...

"Florida towns have a particularly strong incentive to rebuild, because the demand for beachside living is so potent. As the writer Michael Grunwald points out in The Atlantic, “Florida has always been about now, mine, more.” Longtime observers like him have little faith that Hurricane Ian will represent any kind of turning point for what he calls the “ecological Ponzi scheme” state.

If state and local government won’t check a rebuilding spree, then it’s probably up to the federal government to find ways to pump the brakes on certain types of coastal development. At some point, we’ll all grow tired of this sad, expensive movie. ... "

Not sure what the source is... You'd think my wife being an Admin Librarian would know better... But I don't want to take credit for this awesome hot take!

Whoever you are... I can't agree more!

"Ecological Ponzi Scheme"

So true!

On 10/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, Tiberius said:

Because they can raise my homeowner's policy in Illinois, tell me some BS that my property is worth more.

Just like we're paying $50/month bucks in Summer for natural gas when all I got is one pilot light and the wife doesn't cook, or dry clothes... lol...  She uses the micro (attempting to cook, not dry clothes)... 😆  ...Thanx Texas for the reach-around. 😆 

Oh, I got Tampa's pride and joy: Progressive.  /WallBash... 

• Like (+1) 1

All you are going to see is a better rebuild of what was destroyed. The circle of life. More delta version homes and structures that withstand higher winds along with raised elevation of said structures.

Disasters cost money but they also make way more money.

Edited by TBBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.