Greg Rousseau Terrorized The Titans and he is just getting started(article with video clips)

Big Turk

4 hours ago, Simon said:

He's been so good the first couple weeks that it's like the Bills have signed another new FA in addition to Von Miller.

The DE position regarding pass rushing is so misunderstood. It's like Tight Ends. College greats don't just become great in college. For a large portion the intangibles are there and become building blocks for the development. Very few of these young guys come out and immediately make a difference. There are the Watts and the Bosa's sure - and in those cases you don't see long careers. I have a few theories on that (steroids, lack of worth ethic to enhance career since they've always been prodigies, etc).

It's the guys like Rosseau, Basham and even Epensea that earn their career. They may become elite edge rushers like Shanahan, Dumervil. They may become mainstays of a team that only the fans know like Schoebel, or Phil Hansen. They may become drifters and career players like Dwan Edwards, Chris Canty.

Some of the elite never pan out because they never truly worked for it: Albert Haynesworth, Marcel Dareus.

The ones who work for it are ones you want, they are the process. They are our DL. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, nosejob said:

Maybe the staff is looking ahead to Balt. with keeping a couple of these guys out. Hopefully Phillips makes it back soon.

Miami has a hard row to hoe. Minnesota, Cleveland, Green Bay, San Diego, San Fran, us twice.

Baltimore has no excuse not to make the playoffs but they'll be unchallenged by true teams. Bengals, Bucs, and Saints are their only tough games.

Beat Miami this weekend and that's a statement. Beating the Ravens isn't as important unless you think we will be competing for 1st with them.

44 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Top 15 Edge Defenders per PFF (FWIW):

2:  Von Miller

7:  Boogie Basham

12: Greg Rousseau

(24: A.J. Epenesa)

308059001_EdgeDefender.thumb.jpg.136f3e1f5ca71871121d65a636eefe11.jpg

Those are pretty amazing rankings for our 4...and I see our friend Jerry is still at the top of the rankings as well

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The DE position regarding pass rushing is so misunderstood. It's like Tight Ends. College greats don't just become great in college. For a large portion the intangibles are there and become building blocks for the development. Very few of these young guys come out and immediately make a difference. There are the Watts and the Bosa's sure - and in those cases you don't see long careers. I have a few theories on that (steroids, lack of worth ethic to enhance career since they've always been prodigies, etc).

It's the guys like Rosseau, Basham and even Epensea that earn their career. They may become elite edge rushers like Shanahan, Dumervil. They may become mainstays of a team that only the fans know like Schoebel, or Phil Hansen. They may become drifters and career players like Dwan Edwards, Chris Canty.

Some of the elite never pan out because they never truly worked for it: Albert Haynesworth, Marcel Dareus.

The ones who work for it are ones you want, they are the process. They are our DL. 

JJ Watt wasn’t a prodigy tho 

He was an under the radar recruit who went to central Michigan as a TE… then switched to End and walked on at Wisconsin 

al he did was work his ass off for that…. With maybe steroids 

• Haha (+1) 1

Groot domination, he was popping early during Week 1 and clearly isn't relaxing.

The Groot-Boogie-AJ trifecta under Von's tutelage is really an incredible thing. Potentially up there with Josh Allen being Josh Allen in terms of a franchise changing dynamic. If this dline and secondary ever gets healthy at the same time, good luck everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gobills404 said:

I hope we see him lined up over guards more often in obvious passing situations. That’s where the majority of his sacks came from in college.

His long arms certainly help keep the oline from grabbing as much, Orr reduces the effectiveness of what they do grab.

44 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

His long arms certainly help keep the oline from grabbing as much, Orr reduces the effectiveness of what they do grab.

That play in particular was awesome hand work by Groot, controlling the hands and arms of the OL and keeping him off balance while pushing forward. Made it look easy.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Von Miller said in his press conference that within a year or two Greg Rousseau is going to be the best pass rusher in the NFL and then broke down all the reasons why.  Well, we got a look at some of them on Monday night against the Titans although they weren't always readily seen during the game.

He is beating people with speed, he is bull rushing and beating people with power, he is becoming a beast on the D-Line, especially when he kicks inside on 3rd down.

Great article with video clips showing Rousseau making Tennessee pas blockers look bad.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/9/23/23367098/bills-vs-titans-de-greg-rousseau-was-a-terror

BT, excellent find and those three plays were impressive, but he also kicked inside on some plays and was disrupting the center of the field.  I noticed it’s hard for a QB, especially a guy like Tua who is 6’1”.  GROOT is posted as 6’6”, but some have him closer to 6’7”.  You think about that range on top of the range of Edmunds at 6’5” (Baldinger stated this is a hidden wrinkle in the middle of the field - listen to the replay on Audacy as he was on yesterday morning) means Tua will have really have a difficult Tim throwing over the middle.  Hill for example has beaten us on short crossing routes.  With more athletic options with Elam and Benford from Wallace who was more of a technician, Tua will be forced to throw more deep and to the outside.  Harder lower % accuracy throws.  Tua has Been hitting some deep, but that was because the rookie CB’s for Baltimore who doesn’t play our style defense were getting torched.  We’re one of if not the best on the league against long air yard passes.

Turk, always love you’re references so thanks brother.  I’ll need you’re eyes bud as I’ll miss at least half of the game being I; flight to Philly for work.  I’m praying we get a plane with TVs and can watch or buy air time to see us squish the fish.

41-30, Bills and we never lose the lead.  They will not run because they are always playing from behind.  My belief is we will have a 6-7 play scoring drive for a TD within 2-3 minutes, and we never give up that lead.  Tua cannot go toe to toe with this even depleted defense nor is he even in the same league as Allen.  JA17 will put 5is team on his back with his arm, and expect some big runs for Allen.  He’s going to pop off a couple of big runs early and scare the hell out if the DC for the Fish.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

JJ Watt wasn’t a prodigy tho 

He was an under the radar recruit who went to central Michigan as a TE… then switched to End and walked on at Wisconsin 

al he did was work his ass off for that…. With maybe steroids 

I can't remember that far back 😐

I do remember that now that you say it. Watt came in and replaced that one dude who was roided up and tons of hype. 

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

What is really underrated in his game is his ability to set the edge...he was near the tops of the NFL for TFLs last year for edge defenders because he uses his arms to really fight off blockers in the run game.

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I hope not…a division game is much more important. Especially with Miami looking pretty good so far 

I don't agree they looked pretty good...mostly meh, had an amazing quarter and their D gives up the most yards per play in the NFL.  Maybe if you watched the highlights they have but if you watched both games in full I don't think you could really get there 

Basically not a sustainable way to win over the course of a year 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What is really underrated in his game is his ability to set the edge...he was near the tops of the NFL for TFLs last year for edge defenders because he uses his arms to really fight off blockers in the run game.

I don't agree they looked pretty good...mostly meh, had an amazing quarter and their D gives up the most yards per play in the NFL.  Maybe if you watched the highlights they have but if you watched both games in full I don't think you could really get there 

Basically not a sustainable way to win over the course of a year 

I watched both games in full which is why i used the word ‘pretty’ before good lol if they can scheme guys open tua will find them but he still seems pretty gun-shy and doesn’t even attempt tight window throws. His two really nice throws from the ravens game were the classic throw the ball super high in the end zone so the defender has no chance and maybe your guy makes a great play and comes down with it.  

they should not have had any offensive tds against NE but the patriots blew two tackles on that play to close out the half

I’d want to seal up a win against them early though before they get Byron jones and Xavien Howard healthy 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Amazing pick. Just looking at his physical size is a sight to see. His mental are there, this kid is going to terrorize the league for years. DPOY canidate.

We got our DE1 for the next decade! 

AJ and Boogie are looking good too but physically Groot is on another level. 

And we didn't even have our best DT . This line is scary good with amazing depth. 

Beane is so good as a GM. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Nelius said:

Groot domination, he was popping early during Week 1 and clearly isn't relaxing.

The Groot-Boogie-AJ trifecta under Von's tutelage is really an incredible thing. Potentially up there with Josh Allen being Josh Allen in terms of a franchise changing dynamic. If this dline and secondary ever gets healthy at the same time, good luck everyone.

If we have to wait until the Super Bowl to see that, I can live with it!  😋

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.