Grilled Cheese Bread Base

CountDorkula

When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?

• Mayo
    • Butter
    • Other

1 hour ago, SDS said:

But there’s no correlation between the people posting in this thread and who attends the tailgate.

That's their problem, if they want to be known as the Two Bills Drive Grilled Cheese Champion, you have to attend the competition. You can't claim to be a Super Bowl Champion without playing the game. 

47 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That's their problem, if they want to be known as the Two Bills Drive Grilled Cheese Champion, you have to attend the competition. You can't claim to be a Super Bowl Champion without playing the game. 

Fair. We are talking making grilled cheese at the tailgate? I'm Out lol.  I won't be flying into town with my panini maker. The rest is just basic cheese bread and butter. I could be a judge though 

🙂

While they currently don’t have a better idea for this, I don’t believe a tailgate party is an adequate solution.

maybe I should just make five recipes per specific instructions and then I will declare the winner. Being the ultimate arbiter of what good food is.

• Like (+1) 1

What really bugs me about some grilled cheese sandwiches I've had lately is, they aren't pressed...or are barely pressed.  I've been to a couple "grilled cheese specialty' restaurants, and the sandwich was served on Texas Toast (which is a terrible choice for grilled cheese, IMO) and was grilled, but not pressed. That completely undermines the appeal of the grilled cheese sandwich, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

What really bugs me about some grilled cheese sandwiches I've had lately is, they aren't pressed...or are barely pressed.  I've been to a couple "grilled cheese specialty' restaurants, and the sandwich was served on Texas Toast (which is a terrible choice for grilled cheese, IMO) and was grilled, but not pressed. That completely undermines the appeal of the grilled cheese sandwich, IMO. 

I prefer non-pressed. But it’s something you can easily request. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Had my wife make me 3 GCS the other night: butter, mayo and ghee.  I couldn't really tell a difference.  For her, the butter was a pain since it's solid.

Yea, Mayo wins for ease and consistency of toasting

some folks prefer butter flavor but if using a good Mayo you are all set on that front

On 10/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, The Dean said:

I dislike using a thick bread for grilled cheese.  To me, it's all about the cheese and how much you get in there.  When it's easily double or triple the bread/cheese ratio, you're just eating toast that someone added cheese to. 

Edited by Just Jack

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.