Grilled Cheese Bread Base

CountDorkula

When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?

• Mayo
    • Butter
    • Other

18 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Dijon, sriracha, japanese mayo

There may be some good combo in there, used in some other way,  but I don’t know what it would be doing near a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich union would strike. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

There may be some good combo in there, used in some other way,  but I don’t know what it would be doing near a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich union would strike. 

HAHA, good, so I would become capo regime of grilled cheese.

The key with what I mentioned is light on that combo and heavy on the cheese, because it's a grill cheese after all.  You get the punch when you bite the sandwich, and a punch after the cheesy goodness that the sandwich provides.  It's not like I'm recommending pineapple on a pizza.  HAHA!

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not 5 years old so I don't eat grilled cheese but my cat prefers both sides buttered

Are you expecting me to believe that you made a delicious grilled cheese and didn't taste a single bite before you gave it to that disgusting creature?

Ain't nobody buying that preposterous story... :flirt:

3 hours ago, SDS said:

if your bread comes in a bag it’s not fit for human consumption.

Check this guy out; he buys his bread in a can.

image.png.b74a9e48b54d10267917757ab09cdffb.png

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/23/2022 at 6:44 PM, Simon said:

I've never even considered the possibility of making a grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter.

It sounds gross; yet I am still oddly intrigued.

Good mayo can have that effect on a man......

thats exactly where Im at.  I have another one for you.  Peanut butter on a burger.  Its a New Orleans thing, and strangely delicious.  I love oddball food combinations that work!  Peanut butter is a great secret ingredient in a lot of dishes- chili for example.  And mayo is a mother sauce.  Supremely versatile

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not 5 years old so I don't eat grilled cheese but my cat prefers both sides buttered

ycqb4fl48hv71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

croque madame is one of the greatest sandwiches in the world!

• Like (+1) 1

dang there are a bunch of gourmet recipes here for old fashioned grilled cheese! I use my cuisinart panini press with sliced sourdough from Sprouts, swiss and cheddar cheese slices, buttered bread ....it crisps and tastes really good with some old fashioned Campbells tomato soup. Milk NOT Water.

m

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SDS said:

Well if everyone’s getting special bread for this, what do you do with the rest of the loaf? Carbs kill.

I usually make doughnut and french fry sandwiches and then wash it down with a couple cream sodas.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Peanut butter is a great secret ingredient in a lot of dishes- chili for example.

Do you just put a couple spoonfuls in while it's simmering?

I usually add some cinnamon and chocolate ala' the Cincinnati school, but could be convinced to try some Skippy w/ honey instead.

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

then use a good cheese (whatever you like) and for God's sake, not some f-ing pre-fabricated slice that comes in plastic.

There is one exception to this rule:

image.png.4a8597a4392eaf5573f0eb5371eeab54.png

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

I usually make doughnut and french fry sandwiches and then wash it down with a couple cream sodas.

Do you just put a couple spoonfuls in while it's simmering?

I usually add some cinnamon and chocolate ala' the Cincinnati school, but could be convinced to try some Skippy w/ honey instead.

I’ve won chili competitions.  Pro tip- roast dried anchos, torn into pieces, careful not to burn, then use coffee grinder to make your own chili powder.

I sometimes add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter to chili while it’s simmering.  It’s sublime, you can’t tast peanut butter at all.  The chili takes on an earthy flavor.  Next time you make chili, put some aside and try blending in some PB, and see what it brings to chili.

PB is a great thickener to sauces, soups and stews. It’s an alternative to cornstarch or arrowroot, in many dishes 

I like cocoa to chili to sometimes.  I’m a big cinnamon fan, but not in my chili.  I prefer Texas style(my interpretation of Texas, not a true Texas chili), with big chunks of steak, along with ground beef and beans(usually kidney or black beans)

and I always use dried beans, and I use that stock for chili(stock doctored up with chicken or beef stock, Demi glacé is I have any, and/oe an umami bomb)

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I feel like we need to have some sort of grilled cheese contest. But I’m not sure how we would do it. Suggestions?

Just mail me the prize and save yourself some trouble SDS. Panini press and high quality butter , cheese and sourdough FTW

9 hours ago, SDS said:

I feel like we need to have some sort of grilled cheese contest. But I’m not sure how we would do it. Suggestions?

TBDAHOT 24* next year.  Four judges, so each submission can be cut into quarters.  Judged on color, firmness, and taste.  

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

TBDAHOT 24* next year.  Four judges, so each submission can be cut into quarters.  Judged on color, firmness, and taste.  

But there’s no correlation between the people posting in this thread and who attends the tailgate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.