Grilled Cheese Bread Base

CountDorkula

When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?

• Mayo
    • Butter
    • Other

I haven't made a grilled cheese sandwich in decades, but, as a food snob, if I did, I would use really high quality, hand cut, thick slices of a good French bread or something similar to that, and throw some butter on them.

Then drizzle a bit of EVOO into the pan and get the bread browning...then use a good cheese (whatever you like) and for God's sake, not some f-ing pre-fabricated slice that comes in plastic.  If the label says "American" you picked the wrong cheese.

Gouda or asiago can work well here, but so can lots of cheeses.

Any mayonnaise you buy in a jar is generally not fit to be eaten by humans.

You have to make it yourself if you are going to go that route.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Butter for sure. 

I like to bake mine in the oven.  Superior crispness and a good melt.  Only issue, they aren’t squished.

I can't stand them being squished.  My wife used to make them like that and I told her to stop doing it, and she likes it better now.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’d be curious how many butter folks have tried the Mayo method.

Never have.  Will tell the wife to try it.

Edit:  my wife just informed me that she does that for my older son.  I never knew that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I haven't made a grilled cheese sandwich in decades, but, as a food snob, if I did, I would use really high quality, hand cut, thick slices of a good French bread or something similar to that, and throw some butter on them.

Then drizzle a bit of EVOO into the pan and get the bread browning...then use a good cheese (whatever you like) and for God's sake, not some f-ing pre-fabricated slice that comes in plastic.  If the label says "American" you picked the wrong cheese.

If I’m making a f#%$&ing grilled cheese, I’m not spending $$ on exotic cheeses and breads. I suppose you make peanut butter and jelly with hand picked raspberries and fair trade, organic sandwich spread? 😄

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Mayo is the best part of a BLT. Should it be a MBLT? 

I would use butter, my wife would spray some PAM on it and call it a day. I’m not sure if it’s a enough to keep the kids from eating it, but it will not quite make the gourmet joint’s menu. 

Sorry but bacon is the best part of a BLT.  Tomato sandwiches are a real thing in some parts of the south.  They’re OK but nowhere near as good as a BLT.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Sorry but bacon is the best part of a BLT.  Tomato sandwiches are a real thing in some parts of the south.  They’re OK but nowhere near as good as a BLT.

I went to one place where they thought they were doing me a favor by making the BLT all about the BACON. It was just too much. Hard to fit all that bacon in a human mouth. Almost like Captain Crunch tearing up the roof of your mouth. And it was dry. It needed more MAYO, and even some more tomato could have helped juice it up. They all need each other. 

I got a “California BLT” last week. I don’t hate avocado, but it makes a sandwich slip and slide so I had the avocado on the side and thought I had solved the problem. Nope. They replaced the mayo with some kind of nasty pesto. A BLT is not a BLT without MAYO! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I went to one place where they thought they were doing me a favor by making the BLT all about the BACON. It was just too much. Hard to fit all that bacon in a human mouth. Almost like Captain Crunch tearing up the roof of your mouth. And it was dry. It needed more MAYO, and even some more tomato could have helped juice it up. They all need each other. 

I got a “California BLT” last week. I don’t hate avocado, but it makes a sandwich slip and slide so I had the avocado on the side and thought I had solved the problem. Nope. They replaced the mayo with some kind of nasty pesto. A BLT is not a BLT without MAYO! 

Well, we have a real debate going here :lol:.  I get your point but ….. bacon is probably one of the best forms of molecules on the planet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Well, we have a real debate going here :lol:.  I get your point but ….. bacon is probably one of the best forms o molecules on the planet, 

Just the smell of bacon in the morning is one of the greatest treats on the planet. It’s a Rosebud type of memory. 

10 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Any recommendations for best bread for grill cheese be a appreciated,

…..and so to pass along to the buyer who thinks most bread grills alike.

I like Pepperidge Farm Original White Bread. When I want to kick it up a notch, I'll use sourdough.

6 minutes ago, boater said:

I like Pepperidge Farm Original White Bread. When I want to kick it up a notch, I'll use sourdough.

I meet an old college buddy for lunch about once a month. We go to the OK Cafe and we get a BLT on toasted sourdough bread….and it is delicious! Toasted sourdough is the way to go! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

thick slices of good French bread? I can tell you that your bread/cheese ratios right there are going to be massively off!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

thick slices of good French bread? I can tell you that your bread/cheese ratios right there are going to be massively off!! 

He probably uses his $800 imported press to slim them up some.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

If I’m making a f#%$&ing grilled cheese, I’m not spending $$ on exotic cheeses and breads. I suppose you make peanut butter and jelly with hand picked raspberries and fair trade, organic sandwich spread? 😄

if your bread comes in a bag it’s not fit for human consumption.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

for clarity, this is to toast the bread, not as an internal component 

though pimento cheese is also delicious so I wouldn’t be shocked if it could do well inside 

Mayo doesn't belong in the same room as a grilled cheese, IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.