Grilled Cheese Bread Base

CountDorkula

When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When making a grilled cheese, what is your base for the bread?

• Mayo
    • Butter
    • Other

Butter all the way. Cheddar cheese should be your only choice. Here's the magic though, shred some of the cheddar and press it to the butter on the outside of the bread before cooking. Makes a caramelized, crunchy cheese on the outside of the sandwich not unlike what you get on the ends of a Bocce Club pizza.

You'll thank me later.

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Butter all the way. Cheddar cheese should be your only choice. Here's the magic though, shred some of the cheddar and press it to the butter on the outside of the bread before cooking. Makes a caramelized, crunchy cheese on the outside of the sandwich not unlike what you get on the ends of a Bocce Club pizza.

You'll thank me later.

I like some good ol' fashioned 'Merican cheese in my grilled cheese.  You can't beat the meltability.  I mix it with other cheeses like cheddar, provolone, jack, even swiss.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I like some good ol' fashioned 'Merican cheese in my grilled cheese.  You can't beat the meltability.  I mix it with other cheeses like cheddar, provolone, jack, even swiss.

Had me some soup and a sandwich for dinner tonight.

Did it with some Gouda and some Jack, and of course some mayo as the base. 

It was damn good.

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've never even considered the possibility of making a grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter.

It sounds gross; yet I am still oddly intrigued.

Good mayo can have that effect on a man......

Mayo is the best part of a BLT. Should it be a MBLT? 

I would use butter, my wife would spray some PAM on it and call it a day. I’m not sure if it’s a enough to keep the kids from eating it, but it will not quite make the gourmet joint’s menu. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Mayo is the best part of a BLT. Should it be a MBLT? 

I would use butter, my wife would spray some PAM on it and call it a day. I’m not sure if it’s a enough to keep the kids from eating it, but it will not quite make the gourmet joint’s menu. 

Is this your final answer?

Always butter, but like @Simon, I am intrigued by the mayo.  I plan ahead and take the butter out of the fridge early in the day so it's spreadable by the time I make the sammiches.

I also like to pan sear pieces of ham and add thinly sliced tomato to my grilled cheese.

American and cheddar (on the same sandwich) are my go to cheeses.

Love me some nice tomato soup, but I have also been known to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in ketchup.  Don't be a hater and don't knock it till you try it.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Always butter, but like @Simon, I am intrigued by the mayo.  I plan ahead and take the butter out of the fridge early in the day so it's spreadable by the time I make the sammiches.

I also like to pan sear pieces of ham and add thinly sliced tomato to my grilled cheese.

American and cheddar (on the same sandwich) are my go to cheeses.

Love me some nice tomato soup, but I have also been known to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in ketchup.  Don't be a hater and don't knock it till you try it.

Kudos on the ketchup. Yes!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.