Hot take: Secondary will be fine this week vs the fish.

ChicagoRic

3 hours ago, folz said:

I mentioned this in another thread. Poyer and Hyde both missed time in training camp and barely played in the preseason games. Jaquan Johnson (4 years in our system) and Damar Hamlin (3 years in our system) both got a ton of work in training camp (with and against the #1s) and in the preseason games this year. They might not be Poyer and Hyde back there, but they should, no doubt, hold their own if called upon.

And the rookie corners have played well so far. If the D-line brings it again, limiting the time Tua has to throw, the secondary should be fine. Waddle and Tyreek will make some plays---I can envision at least one or two slants going for big plays, Tyreek has killed us on those when he was with KC---but overall, I don't think it will be enough to go score for score with our offense.

And if we get Oliver, Settle, and Gabe back, that should help to balance out missing Dane, Micah, and Jordan.

agreed, time to believe in 2 players that have been in the system 3+ years each and would probably be starting safeties if it wasn't 21 and 23 in front of them.  this isn't the old Bills where half our starters wouldn't make the roster on most good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

If the Bills hold Tua under 250 yards, it would be astonishing, and if so, I will consider myself to be the village idiot for all of next week. 

This wouldn’t be at all a problem if QB yards didn’t include YAC.

So you have an out Labatt. Just claim you were using a different definition and presto, no dunce cap needed.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

I think they'll be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hill and/or Waddle slip free for some big plays and TD's. But I think the Bills will hold them under 30 points and that the offense will take care of business to get the win.

30? I don’t think they score over 21 and I’m being generous.

I would definitely feel better about sunday if we could see Poyer on the field.  He has been lights out this year.  Starting LBs and DEs will be there and assuming Settle can play two of our four DT rotation.  In all honesty though the Dolphins will have to keep up with our offense (which is fully intact minus maybe Gabe and Morse which I think both will play) so the defense will be ok even if the allow more than they have the past 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Most of tyreeks YAC comes on deeper stuff actually.  While he occasionally will break a tackle on the short stuff it really isn't his game.  

I actually think the Bill's defense has been waiting for the finger wagging Hill (similar to Allen with Jalen Ramsey)

Beane should be on the phone trading for defensive backs right now.

Both safeties injured, #1 CB injured, #3 CB injured.

More than half of our secondary is injured.

I don't care about the 32nd overall pick. Trade it for some defenders.

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Most of tyreeks YAC comes on deeper stuff actually.  While he occasionally will break a tackle on the short stuff it really isn't his game.  

Complete opposite.

With the Chiefs, they threw almost twice as many passes to Hill at or behind the line of scrimmage as they did 30 yards downfield or deeper. Last year, Mahomes completed only four of the 16 attempts of 30 yards or longer to Hill. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane should be on the phone trading for defensive backs right now.

Both safeties injured, #1 CB injured, #3 CB injured.

More than half of our secondary is injured.

I don't care about the 32nd overall pick. Trade it for some defenders.

Complete opposite.

With the Chiefs, they threw almost twice as many passes to Hill at or behind the line of scrimmage as they did 30 yards downfield or deeper. Last year, Mahomes completed only four of the 16 attempts of 30 yards or longer to Hill. 

Im calling it right now. Our Rookie CB's are going to shine more then you think. have confidence young padawan. The force is in you, believe er BILLieve

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Im calling it right now. Our Rookie CB's are going to shine more then you think. have confidence young padawan. The force is in you, believe er BILLieve

We need our young CB's AND our young safeties AND our depth D-line to all shine.

It's a big ask.

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Based on what exactly and why would you think that is going to work from what you've seen the first 2 games? The Bills have the #1 run D in the NFL and Miami averages 3.7 YPC.

If he throws the ball 50 times it will be disastrous for the Fins

True they haven't shown a great running game yet. Although they ran the ball much better in week 2 vs. week1 against the Patriots so the stats are kind of skewed. We don't know which Miami team is the one to expect and which is an aberration. 

My thinking is the Bills pass rush is dominant. Dropping Tua back more than 35 times isn't going to be good for Miami. Also, McDermott has always coached good secondary play with the Bills since he arrived here in 2017. So I think the injuries in the secondary are a little over blown. 

McDaniel came from the 49ers system where they used Deebo Samuel in the ground game a lot. Thus far, in just two games we haven't really seen Hill in that role but I think McDaniel could have some new wrinkles in his game plan this week for the Bills. Also, just going off of memory, it feels like in a lot of the Bills losses over the years under McDermott, they have come because the defense gives up over 200 yards rushing as opposed to over 300 passing and 4 TD's threw the air. 

I would also say the weather could dictate more ground game in this one but I'm not sure it is going to be all that wet on Sunday. Looks like Sunday evening and Monday are much wetter if the forecast holds. 

Forgive me if it's already been stated, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rookie corners play well. I'm hoping that we try some press man and clean Tua's clock. Also, when J.Johnson was drafted, Earl Reed said he'd be a Pro bowler....for years.

This is the week to really throw down on defense be it adding some blitzing on occasion....maybe even give Bernard some snaps to make them think they can pull us out of nickel or run the ball. Mixing Shaq and Boogie inside now and then should work just fine against this Oline. Feel sorry for Greg Little.

It does bother me that  the line is 5.5, but maybe Vegas is going to try and make up ground for everybody putting their money on the Bills the last 2 weeks. How did the hoodie hold the Fish down? The Ravens just played a bad D in the secondary with a single safety (rookie) high. I'm not impressed.

21 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Honestly, this game is about the weather. I live here and the heat and humidity is oppressive and drains so much energy out of you, especially  if you are performing physical activity outside. The Bills training staff better be ready to keep everyone hydrated and free of cramps.  Our rotations and depth will be the key to this game.  

Just doing yard work or light labor outside makes you sweat so much that your shirt needs to be wrung out. I can't imagine going full speed with 20 lbs of equipment on me for three hours in the middle of the afternoon. And 3-4 pm is like the witching hour where the heat will hit 95-100 degrees with killer humidity. 

If this was a night game, I'd say the Bills win by 17+ but I think it will be close and in the 4th quarter we are going to need fresh players who have energy. This is where Hill and Waddle can take advantage of our DB's and DL slowing down. especially since we are missing players in these positions.  It's going to take all 53 to win this game. 

Its not like the Bills have never played there before lol.

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

It was hotter at the Rams game.

Not sure how the humidity compares. That’s the killer. Unfortunately we won’t have the quality depth to keep rolling out players at a number of defensive positions. Gotta grind through it, stay as cool as they can on the sidelines, and hopefully watch Josh and O put up huge numbers!

Just now, Playoffs? said:

Not sure how the humidity compares. That’s the killer. Unfortunately we won’t have the quality depth to keep rolling out players at a number of defensive positions. Gotta grind through it, stay as cool as they can on the sidelines, and hopefully watch Josh and O put up huge numbers!

It was unusually humid that night in California, and that with with LOWS of 92... I live down here it sucks but it won't be as bad as most think. Also don't forget it would affect both team equally.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, Billzgobowlin said:

I would definitely feel better about sunday if we could see Poyer on the field.  He has been lights out this year.  Starting LBs and DEs will be there and assuming Settle can play two of our four DT rotation.  In all honesty though the Dolphins will have to keep up with our offense (which is fully intact minus maybe Gabe and Morse which I think both will play) so the defense will be ok even if the allow more than they have the past 2 weeks.

I actually think the Bill's defense has been waiting for the finger wagging Hill (similar to Allen with Jalen Ramsey)

Just got a flash from espn on my iPad that Poyer is also def out for tomorrow.   What a bad time to be missing both starting safeties.  Fins will be testing the inexperience def backfield for sure.   I think the fins will have lots of confidence now and imo this will prob be a closer, higher  scoring situation.   Josh needs a mistake free game So pressure will be amped up.

I think it’s a big ask to have your entire def backfield , plus our two best DT rushers gone for the game.  Phillips may be gone a lot longer than they are admitting as it looked like his hammy could  have torn watching him collapse.  Will see , but worse case scenario playing  a team in division, just gaining confidence , and playing down there with proven speed who has torched even our starters before.  Injuries are piling up and to think you won’t notice half your starting d out is unrealistic.  Still think we can win because of Josh , but if we have turnovers, it’s certainly possible to drop one here.  Big emotional test for Mcd and team as well missing so many guys.  This is a very unusual amount of injuries if you also consider Gabe not being 100%; I don’t recall a similar situation for us recently or maybe ever.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, Einstein said:

We need our young CB's AND our young safeties AND our depth D-line to all shine.

It's a big ask.

No, we need them to slow the Dolphins down just enough so Josh Allen and the Bills offense can outscore them.  Not shine, just don't vomit all over yourselves like the Ravens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.