Hot take: Secondary will be fine this week vs the fish.

ChicagoRic

10 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I expect Miami to score more points than the Rams or Titans did, but IMO people are over-reacting to our injuries.  If you told me that Miami was going to score, say, 24 points on Sunday, I'd feel really good about getting the W if that's the only piece of information I had to go on.  They still can't keep up with us in a track meet.  

I think it's safe to assume our offense is going to hang somewhere between 31-45 points on these guys.  Can the Dolphins score in the 30-40 point range against our defense - even with our depleted secondary?  That's the story of the game right there.

And someone else mentioned above that the Phins will try to run it down our throats and I tend to agree.  McDaniel is going to pull out all the stops in the run game early on to slow down our D line and give Tua a chance to work in playaction and the short passing game.  If they can actually pull it off, then I can see this being a close game and a possible loss.

• Like (+1) 1

If anyone watched the Ravens/Dolphins game, Tua's success was largely due to Hill and Waddle being WIDE open.   Like, blown coverage open.  I didn't see one long pass where he hit the WR in stride - they always had to slow up or adjust.

Tua is still a lot of hype to me, and he's going to face much more pressure this week than last.  I'm going to bet we get a few turnovers & win this going away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think it's safe to assume our offense is going to hang somewhere between 31-45 points on these guys.  Can the Dolphins score in the 30-40 point range against our defense - even with our depleted secondary?  That's the story of the game right there.

And someone else mentioned above that the Phins will try to run it down our throats and I tend to agree.  McDaniel is going to pull out all the stops in the run game early on to slow down our D line and give Tua a chance to work in playaction and the short passing game.  If they can actually pull it off, then I can see this being a close game and a possible loss.

No, they will not score anywhere close to that.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I tend to agree, which is why I'm no more worried about this game than the Rams or Titans games.  If we protect the ball and play a disciplined ball game, we should win by 10 points.

Remember how everyone was worried when Tre went out and how it would affect us?  In the 7 games Tre has been out, our pass D numbers have gotten better. Not saying we are better without Tre, I am just saying the Bills take less chances and play an even more team oriented style of defense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

I like the positivity, I'm just not that confident. 

Starting to think a lot of my "realism" is rolled over PTSD from the drought, but when I see obvious holes, I think the worst.

We're starting 2 rookies to matchup against one of the best WR duos in the league. Hill has proven he can give us a lot of trouble. Our 7th round rookie beat out our 1st round rookie to start the first 2 weeks. The off-season reports of Elam's struggles were obviously real. 

Throw in Hyde likely being hurt, and you don't just play the same down an All-Pro safety + your 2 best CBs. 

I think we can still win, I just think this will be the first game the Bills are challenged defensively. Our offense is still our biggest strength, so I think we can win a shootout if it comes to that. 

But hey, I also thought the Titans game would be more competitive (still thought we'd win), so I'm not clairvoyant either 😅

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve got to be realistic. If Hyde and Jackson are out that is a lot to overcome communication wise. J.Johnson is ready but communication is key in our defense.

DL must eat.

He got time calling defense in camp when poyer went out. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Remember how everyone was worried when Tre went out and how it would affect us?  In the 7 games Tre has been out, our pass D numbers have gotten better. Not saying we are better without Tre, I am just saying the Bills take less chances and play an even more team oriented style of defense.

That’s a bit misleading.  When he went out Buffalo played some pretty weak WR cores and got shredded by Chiefs.  This year the DL is dominant so that alone will keep the passing numbers against down.  

7 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

That’s a bit misleading.  When he went out Buffalo played some pretty weak WR cores and got shredded by Chiefs.  This year the DL is dominant so that alone will keep the passing numbers against down.  

Mahomes shredded us the year before with White playing in the playoffs too.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Honestly, this game is about the weather. I live here and the heat and humidity is oppressive and drains so much energy out of you, especially  if you are performing physical activity outside. The Bills training staff better be ready to keep everyone hydrated and free of cramps.  Our rotations and depth will be the key to this game.  

Just doing yard work or light labor outside makes you sweat so much that your shirt needs to be wrung out. I can't imagine going full speed with 20 lbs of equipment on me for three hours in the middle of the afternoon. And 3-4 pm is like the witching hour where the heat will hit 95-100 degrees with killer humidity. 

If this was a night game, I'd say the Bills win by 17+ but I think it will be close and in the 4th quarter we are going to need fresh players who have energy. This is where Hill and Waddle can take advantage of our DB's and DL slowing down. especially since we are missing players in these positions.  It's going to take all 53 to win this game. 

There is nothing about the weather in Miami that this team hasn’t already experienced. This will be the third year in a row that we have played a September game in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Success said:

If anyone watched the Ravens/Dolphins game, Tua's success was largely due to Hill and Waddle being WIDE open.   Like, blown coverage open.  I didn't see one long pass where he hit the WR in stride - they always had to slow up or adjust.

Tua is still a lot of hype to me, and he's going to face much more pressure this week than last.  I'm going to bet we get a few turnovers & win this going away.

Baltimore had some rookies and second stringers out there in the defensive backfield.  They were lost....can't believe how wide open those guys werer.

We are going to have some rookies and second stringers out there too.  The difference is, our guys have great coaching and won't make those kinds of mistakes.  Tua floats passes against us, they'll be picked off.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

He got time calling defense in camp when poyer went out. 

I mentioned this in another thread. Poyer and Hyde both missed time in training camp and barely played in the preseason games. Jaquan Johnson (4 years in our system) and Damar Hamlin (3 years in our system) both got a ton of work in training camp (with and against the #1s) and in the preseason games this year. They might not be Poyer and Hyde back there, but they should, no doubt, hold their own if called upon.

And the rookie corners have played well so far. If the D-line brings it again, limiting the time Tua has to throw, the secondary should be fine. Waddle and Tyreek will make some plays---I can envision at least one or two slants going for big plays, Tyreek has killed us on those when he was with KC---but overall, I don't think it will be enough to go score for score with our offense.

And if we get Oliver, Settle, and Gabe back, that should help to balance out missing Dane, Micah, and Jordan.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is nothing about the weather in Miami that this team hasn’t already experienced. This will be the third year in a row that we have played a September game in Miami. 

plus, the majority of our players are used to that kind of weather anyways.

Poyer and Hyde's injures in camp may be a blessing in disguise.  The backup safeties got a ton of run in camp and preseason, even against other teams' starters.  That experience will really benefit the Bills on Sunday.  The hot weather in LA in Week 1 may also be another blessing in disguise.  I think this game will present some challenges, but the Bills will be ready to face them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.