Hot take: Secondary will be fine this week vs the fish.

ChicagoRic

Jaquan Johnson looked last year in spot duty and again in preseason. Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, and Cam Lewis know the system and the rookies have held up so far.  Poyer is off to a great start this season.  More importantly, our base deep shell pass defense is designed to take the top off of a passing game.  Tua looked good last week, but I don't expect a repeat performance. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ChicagoRic said:

Jaquan Johnson looked last year in spot duty and again in preseason. Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, and Cam Lewis know the system and the rookies have held up so far.  Poyer is off to a great start this season.  More importantly, our base deep shell pass defense is designed to take the top off of a passing game.  Tua looked good last week, but I don't expect a repeat performance. 

The Fins are much closer to an offense that scored 27 points in 7 quarters than the one that scored 28 points in 1 quarter.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 19

I think they'll be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hill and/or Waddle slip free for some big plays and TD's. But I think the Bills will hold them under 30 points and that the offense will take care of business to get the win.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

It’s going to be all about the Defensive Line.

If the backend of the defense ends up being Elam-Benford-Johnson-Johnson-Poyer, there’s only so much you can do to protect an outside rookie corner on each side. 

Furthermore, there’s only so much you can do against Hill, Waddle and Gesicki.

While Jaquan Johnson isn’t Micah Hyde, he’s a very cerebral, smart player who’s been in the system for years now.  Everyone who knows anything about him has said he’s ready.. and not just “ready”, but “been ready”. 

I expect the secondary to impress.  Some of that will be due to the fact that, while young/inexperienced, these guys are talented.. but a lot of that will be due to the fact that this Defensive Line is an absolute game wrecker.  

Let’s just hope we get a 2 for 1 swap of Oliver/Settle for Phillips, because interior pressure is what takes this group to another level when opposing lines have to be focused on Von and the trio of young pass rushers off the edge.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

He put up ridiculous numbers, but I personally thought he looked terrible doing it. It was freaky in that regard. The ball just takes a long time getting there. He was like Lucky Fitzy for a quarter there, taking chances with his weak throws, but somehow just kept getting away with it! Fitz used to make me laugh with some of those tosses. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If we get good play from our safety's....does this hurt Poyer's extension?

I don’t know that it matters either way.  That restructure of his contract this year seems like a “we appreciate you, let’s win this thing and then go get paid elsewhere” type of gesture.  

Id put the odds pretty high that we re-sign Jaquan Johnson in the off-season and - fingers crossed Hyde is ok - our Safety tandem next year is Johnson and Hyde. 

If Johnson falls on his face, unlikely but could happen, replace him with a Day 1 / Day 2 draft pick. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

He put up ridiculous numbers, but I personally thought he looked terrible doing it. It was freaky in that regard. The ball just takes a long time getting there. He was like Lucky Fitzy for a quarter there, taking chances with his weak throws, but somehow just kept getting away with it! Fitz used to make me laugh with some of those tosses. 

Tua duplicating what he did last week is very unlikely.  We play our safety's deep and let Tua try to sustain long 10 play drives...he won't be able to do that like 4-5 times because that's what it will take to  beat us.  Their defense can't pressure, linebackers can't move and secondary allowed Lamar to throw all over them.  

We will score at least 30.

Gotta believe McBeane is/are thinking long-term here with respect to the secondary. No quick fixes with veteran FA signings, let the young guys show their stuff against an offense with a lot of weapons. Throw them all in the fire and see what we’ve got going forward.

Seems like a reasonable strategy given the investments they’ve made, but it could get a little ugly at times as they learn to play individually and together.

But just imagine if, somehow, we come out of this one with a solid showing by the secondary. When Dane, Tre, Jordan, and Micah are all healthy and back, that would just be an embarrassment of riches.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If we get good play from our safety's....does this hurt Poyer's extension?

I think it is sooner than later we start to move on from our safety tandem. Not to throw and shade or be unappreciative of how lucky we are to have them.

Beane is going to have to continue to move on from good players with years left of effective playing if we are going to have continuing success as a team. 
    Poyer and Hyde are not spring chickens and we have decent backups. Also, this FO seems to have an ability to pick DBs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that it matters either way.  That restructure of his contract this year seems like a “we appreciate you, let’s win this thing and then go get paid elsewhere” type of gesture.  

Id put the odds pretty high that we re-sign Jaquan Johnson in the off-season and - fingers crossed Hyde is ok - our Safety tandem next year is Johnson and Hyde. 

If Johnson falls on his face, unlikely but could happen, replace him with a Day 1 / Day 2 draft pick. 

My thoughts for 2023 (which who cares a lot will change by then) 

White Elam Johnson at CB with dane/neal as depth - and Benford moves to safety.  

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve got to be realistic. If Hyde and Jackson are out that is a lot to overcome communication wise. J.Johnson is ready but communication is key in our defense.

DL must eat.

Communication is important in all defenses. The Bills aren’t reinventing the wheel in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.