Do you have a problem with fans standing the entire game?

HOUSE

12 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

..That is, if you have no consideration for other fans...

Good sir,

I am very sorry to hear of your physical limitations impacting your ability to see the game.  Having to deal with the pain must be very frustrating and I can understand how much easier it would be for you if everyone sat.

Being a long time season ticket holder, you have to realize that long periods if not entire games of fans standing is just the reality of the stadium.  It happens at many pro and college stadiums.

Myself, I go with the flow and would like to point a few things out to you about my truths which differ from yours.

Myself and family are composed of men over 6 feet in height, with decent shoulder width.  In sold out games, surrounded by other good sized people, it is impossible to sit in our seats with shoulders square unless leaning forward at various angles which becomes uncomfortable and compromises the view.  Standing  usually  requires angling shoulders, but becomes more comfortable than sitting as it strains my back less.

Also, jumping up to only cheer for a big play involves having to wiggle and negotiate to sit down properly again without infringing on others.  And in a big or good game, there is lots to cheer for so it naturally becomes easier just to stay standing and sit at breaks.  I'm 52 and if standing an entire game (if needed) becomes too much, I either won't go or will pay for bigger/more comfortable seats.

As a STH, why not talk to the Bills about your problem and consider switching seats (clubs) or asking them make a section(s) sit-only?  Or do like others in a similar situation and watch from the comfort of home?

You are the one with the impediment yet you demand all others conform to your needs?  Stop calling other fans uncaring, selfish, rude, etc. 

It starts with you.

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

OH, YES.

Everyone stands for big plays, but it is idiotic to stand otherwise, when you can see perfectly fine, from your seat. The team is not going to play better, and all that THESE PEOPLE accomplish, is that they obstruct the view, of the fans behind them.

There used to be such a thing, as 'Being Considerate Of Others'.

When I’m at home or at a game, I can barely sit. I’m just too excited and too pumped each time we make a big play (happens alot now). Usually when the game is well out of hand, that’s when I’m able to sit. 

When I was in Buffalo I tried to be as respectable as I could, I was lucky to be around other standers, so I followed the crowd. But man, when it’s a high pressure situation, it would take everything I have to sit for it. 

6 minutes ago, 716er said:

Always get tix in the 1st row in the 300 level and don't worry about it.

An edible and a few brews and the weather doesn't matter 

just don't throw them on to the field :  https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/10/30/tuesday-hot-clicks-patriots-bills-fans-*****-throw-video 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The number of suggestions of “sit only sections” is mind boggling.  It would be a nightmare to oversee, and complaints would be non-stop.  When would it be okay to stand?  Turnover? TD? 4th quarter?

This will never happen. 

I've been to SF Giants baseball games & you can't even return to your seat and obstruct the other fans views going back to your seat when a player is at bat.  They have no problem enforcing it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't like it. Stand when it's a big play, seems to make the play that's happening "bigger" for the guys on the field. I go to mostly college games, because I'm in Oklahoma and only students stand the whole game. You're 18-21 years old, go for it. When you're 45 years old, it not as much fun to stand for 3 hours. Nothing annoys me more than my entire section sitting and two or three jerks standing causing everything behind them to have to stand. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've been to SF Giants baseball games & you can't even return to your seat and obstruct the other fans views going back to your seat when a player is at bat.  They have no problem enforcing it.  

I've seen this enforced at Bills games as well, they make you wait until after the play to walk down. Definitely Sabres games, you have to stay at the tunnel until a whistle.

No standing in a section is easy to enforce as well since it's a pretty clear-cut, binary rule. Most people know what they are signing up for when they buy tickets in that section. And you will absolutely get kicked out for it.

30 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

When I’m at home or at a game, I can barely sit. I’m just too excited and too pumped each time we make a big play (happens alot now). Usually when the game is well out of hand, that’s when I’m able to sit. 

When I was in Buffalo I tried to be as respectable as I could, I was lucky to be around other standers, so I followed the crowd. But man, when it’s a high pressure situation, it would take everything I have to sit for it. 

Are you my toddler?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Back in the early '90's, during the 'glory years', I was able to sit in the old Section C-2, in the 40th row. Midfield.

People stood for BIG PLAYS, ONLY. Since it sounds like that you are 'too big' for your seats, perhaps YOU, should invest in Luxury seats.

It IS a problem, of people being inconsiderate.

(Sorry)

I agree.  Everyone standing vs everyone sitting has the same impact on visibility.  I had season tickets for over 15 years until we decided to not get them anymore, but I remember the same thing. You were able to sit during the games, and stand for big plays.  Standing the entire game, not for me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Simple question, go for it !

Since I cannot stand entire game due to physical limitations yes.  

Having someone stand in front of you is basically same thing as obstructed seating which I dealt with Bills @ Cardinals game.

View was so bad seat was useless I would wander around looking for seats empty (lots of them) until person sitting in them returned.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Back in the early '90's, during the 'glory years', I was able to sit in the old Section C-2, in the 40th row. Midfield.

People stood for BIG PLAYS, ONLY. Since it sounds like that you are 'too big' for your seats, perhaps YOU, should invest in Luxury seats.

It IS a problem, of people being inconsiderate.

(Sorry)

I was in E 8 Row 34....Same

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

OH, YES.

Everyone stands for big plays, but it is idiotic to stand otherwise, when you can see perfectly fine, from your seat. The team is not going to play better, and all that THESE PEOPLE accomplish, is that they obstruct the view, of the fans behind them.

There used to be such a thing, as 'Being Considerate Of Others'.

I'm really surprised the stadium/Bills/ushers have allowed this situation to flourish as they have over a period of years.

At Nats MLB games in DC, I can tell you first hand that you will be tackled to the ground (I'm exaggerating) before an usher will let you leave the tunnel to return to your seat with a new beer, DURING PLAY, or in the middle of an at-bat.

There are rules, and people are considerate of "the fans" at large.

It is the same at NHL hockey games.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I haven't read through the entirety of this thread, only a few comments here and there, but...

I'm with Hunter S Thompson on this one. He was a rabid 49ers fan. When people used to ask him to sit down and calm down, he'd shout back at them "THIS ISN'T THE ***** OPERA! IT'S A FOOTBALL GAME!".

Now I'm not as crazy as Hunter S Thompson (nor as medicated), but I agree with his basic point: you've come to an inherently loud, inherently rowdy sporting event. The gladiator games of the modern day. Furthermore, the team for which you are rooting feeds off of the frenzy of the crowd. So I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with people who want to stand during the entire game. If I was that concerned with having an unobstructed view and no inconveniences to my sight lines, I would have stayed home and watched the game on an HDTV.

I really try my best when attending games to only stand for 3rd downs, big plays, kickoffs, and red zone plays. The problem right now is that the Bills are so damned good that they're constantly in the red zone or forcing the opposition into 3rd downs! At the Monday night game, I did my best to only stand when it was "appropriate", but it was "appropriate" to stand for quite a lot of that game!

The two things that DO bother me at games:

1. People who insist that everyone sit the whole time. "Down in front! Yeah, you! SIT DOWN!". Like...no, man. It's an exciting game. I flew 3,000 miles and paid $200+ to be here. I'm not sitting all game. Especially when the Bills are on the two yard line or the opponent is in 3rd and long. Get real.
2. People who make a ton of noise when the Bills are on offense, particularly on 3rd or 4th down. There really should be a "when to make noise and when not to make noise" educational video for football fans.

11 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

At the Rockpile nobody would stand unless the Bills scored. The cigar smoke would smoke anybody standing....cough cough ft b

You're talking about an era when there was still a little bit of decorum left in the world.

As a motorsports fan, I get a kick out old photographs of grand prix races in the '50 and even '60s, where the FANS were dressed up with ties and so forth, looking like they were going to church.  Just to sweat out under the sun at the side of a racetrack watching cars fly by.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was at a Joan Jett concert earlier this year.  As you can imagine, the average age of the crowd was around 50.  Late in the show, the band did an acoustic set.  Just about everyone in the crowd sat down ... except this one dude two rows in front of me.  He was right in my line of sight.  He was younger ...20s.  I finally went up to him and politely asked if he wouldn't mind sitting down, as everyone behind him was sitting.  He looked at me and said, "I'll think about it."  I just returned to my seat without saying anything else to him.  After a few minutes, he sat down.

We had seats for a concert at the Predators arena.  The group with seats on either side of us came in during the concert talking loudly and then asked my wife and I to take different, non adjoining seats so that they could sit together - 20 somethings.  I said no and then tried to ignore them.  just a symptom of general incivility and bad manners in our culture.  btw, seats in that arena are tiny.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.