Micah Hyde seeking 2nd opinion on neck injury

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Derrick Burroughs has cervical stenosis, a condition he was born with. Where has it been reported that Micah Hyde has the same thing? 

Spinal stenosis can absolutely develop over time in collision sports and not necessarily have obvious symptoms until discovered.  It is absolutely likely that a doctor would recommend not playing contact sports if this was discovered.  I'm not saying that this what is happening with Hyde but getting a 2nd opinion usually means that big decision needs to be made.  Off the top of my head, I can think of several players that retired because of this condition.  And due to Hyde's age and previous neck issues, they could be just saying that the next hit could paralyze you.

It's all speculation but it's not completely misinformed.  By the way, the Pegula Jet (which I still follow sometimes when news pops up) flew someone to Morristown, NJ today and they are flying back tomorrow.  Just so happens one of the more well known Orthopedic Spine Surgeons and Centers is located there.

Let's assume its not a career-ending situation because I actually think that in this type of injury situation there is probably less of a gray area in terms of what could be career ending. I would guess that the initial diagnosis was to have surgery, maybe the ACDF that we should all be experts on now after the Eichel situation, which would put him out for 9 months minimum.  If Hyde is seeing an Orthopedic spine surgeon, then he is likely trying to see if there is a conservative path of rehab and/or non-surgical approaches that wouldn't put him out for the whole season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Johnson is very instinctual and plays fast, but dude runs a 4.7 40. He has good quickness and can hit, so I too hope he plays closer to the LoS. Poyer isn’t a burner either, but if Tyreek or Waddle get behind a corner and Johnson isn’t already sprinting ahead of him towards the endzone, it’s a wrap.

Too bad the GMen snatched up Nick McCloud. Word is he was doing very well at S and he’s also a burner (4.4).

Hyde ran a 4.56

Poyer ran a 4.58

Pretty incredible how similar they are. Both were mainly CBs in college but I think Hyde might have played all DB positions. I think Hyde had better overall athletic numbers.

Johnson ran a slower 40 but his 10 and 20 yard splits were actually a bit faster than Hyde.  I think they are all similar athletically.

35 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

He's currently on the Cardinal P/S.  

"IF" Hydes injury is serious, they are likely looking around the league at options on other P/S.  Teams can protect 4 players each week, so it's a possibility they have their sights on someone who is "protected". 

Unfortunately, might need to wait until Tuesday.  At that point, if Hyde isnt moved to IR then I'd consider him a potential return within a few weeks (hoping this is the case).

Teams actually can’t protect PS players anymore. It went away with the covid protocols 

29 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Spinal stenosis can absolutely develop over time in collision sports and not necessarily have obvious symptoms until discovered.  It is absolutely likely that a doctor would recommend not playing contact sports if this was discovered.  I'm not saying that this what is happening with Hyde but getting a 2nd opinion usually means that big decision needs to be made.  Off the top of my head, I can think of several players that retired because of this condition.  And due to Hyde's age and previous neck issues, they could be just saying that the next hit could paralyze you.

It's all speculation but it's not completely misinformed.  By the way, the Pegula Jet (which I still follow sometimes when news pops up) flew someone to Morristown, NJ today and they are flying back tomorrow.  Just so happens one of the more well known Orthopedic Spine Surgeons and Centers is located there.

Let's assume its not a career-ending situation because I actually think that in this type of injury situation there is probably less of a gray area in terms of what could be career ending. I would guess that the initial diagnosis was to have surgery, maybe the ACDF that we should all be experts on now after the Eichel situation, which would put him out for 9 months minimum.  If Hyde is seeing an Orthopedic spine surgeon, then he is likely trying to see if there is a conservative path of rehab and/or non-surgical approaches that wouldn't put him out for the whole season.

30 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I appreciate the insight. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

"IF" Hydes injury is serious, they are likely looking around the league at options on other P/S.  Teams can protect 4 players each week, so it's a possibility they have their sights on someone who is "protected". 

Unfortunately, might need to wait until Tuesday.  At that point, if Hyde isnt moved to IR then I'd consider him a potential return within a few weeks (hoping this is the case).

"EDIT": my comment above is incorrect, re: 4 PS being protected each week.  Thanks to @yoloinohio for clarification.

Cam Lewis is capable of playing safety. In the preseason it was presumed he did this because his job was not safe. Turns out it was cross training. 

Johnson is a ball hawk. Hamlin only ran a 4.6 40. That's not fast.  At all. 

Of all the concerns I have is that Hill will be his douchebag self and taunt others to draw flags and other punk ass behavior because that's all Hill is... A punk. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Why don’t we all just see how Johnson preforms before we all freak the **** out. 

I think the Bills will be fine. We’ve been fine without Tre and they’ve played and won with Hyde out before. 

Fair enough, but we also can't pretend losing someone of Hyde's caliber isn't scary.

Our secondary was massively improved the moment Hyde & Poyer got here. They've been crucial to the defense's success. I'm not thinking "sky is falling" yet or anything, only that Hyde's impact on this team can't be understated.

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Fair enough, but we also can't pretend losing someone of Hyde's caliber isn't scary.

Our secondary was massively improved the moment Hyde & Poyer got here. They've been crucial to the defense's success. I'm not thinking "sky is falling" yet or anything, only that Hyde's impact on this team can't be understated.

While I of course agree that they are both very good, and important to this defense, the secondary improved when they got here mainly because McDermott’s defense arrived and that is his specialty. He brought them here in his first year and they fit like a glove. Many thought poyer was going to be a backup.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Here’s the slimmest of hopes I’m holding on to.  If the Bills are aware Micah’s injury is serious, why didn’t they put him on IR?  If it’s long term, why not open a roster spot immediately?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

Here’s the slimmest of hopes I’m holding on to.  If the Bills are aware Micah’s injury is serious, why didn’t they put him on IR?  If it’s long term, why not open a roster spot immediately?

I may be wrong, however, usually it seems these roster moves generally correspond with one another. For every subtraction, there is an addition, and so on and so forth.

Lets say that it was long term, I imagine that it would mean they aren’t prepared to sign a player to the active roster quite yet. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Doom fantasies :lol:

We do have a few gimps on here, no doubt about it. 

Especially when some doctor used a video to make a statement about what he thinks *could* be the injury and it being serious...

Really, for all we know the Bills doctors said he needs to retire and take up knitting then Micah decided that he wants to go play so he is trying to find a second opinion because he's tough as nails and strong as a mule.

The online doctors really annoy me when they prescribe these injuries. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Especially when some doctor used a video to make a statement about what he thinks *could* be the injury and it being serious...

Really, for all we know the Bills doctors said he needs to retire and take up knitting then Micah decided that he wants to go play so he is trying to find a second opinion because he's tough as nails and strong as a mule.

The online doctors really annoy me when they prescribe these injuries. 

Get 'em Boyst!

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

"EDIT": my comment above is incorrect, re: 4 PS being protected each week.  Thanks to @yoloinohio for clarification.

Oh cool ty, wasn't aware he got signed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.