Micah Hyde seeking 2nd opinion on neck injury

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Good analysis Alphadawg of our respective schedules.  That is a very manly schedule the Bills have over the next month.  Road games at Miami Baltimore and KC are nothing to sneeze at.  Pittsburgh has a pretty marginal roster, especially without TJ Watt playing.  Watching Trubisky play last nite against the Browns was almost painful.  (especially since I bet them taking the 4 1/2 points.  But Tomlin still should have went for the TD instead of the FG on 4th and 1 on their last drive.  Its not 1975 Mike!!)  How he was drafted # 2 in 2017 is absolutely beyond me.  Kenny Pickett needs to start for the Steelers.  Trubisky is just not an NFL starting QB.

Cincinnati will get well against the Jets and give the Dolphins all they can handle on Thursday nite.  But I do agree that Sunday in Miami is a big game.   

Ill be honest, I was cautiously optimistic about Mitch there.  Our staff and players seem to really talk him up and seeing improved play while he was here and getting better coaching.  And considering how inept the staff was in Chicago under Nagy, I thought maybe he could be well suited for the Steelers given they had talent at WR, TE, and RB and his mobility could help mitigate the poor OL.  Especially since he has been here with Josh this past year.  And overall, I just wanted to see him do well, seemed like a real good dude.

However, in week 2, I was already throwing in the towel on him and saying they should bench him at halftime, especially since I had the Steelers in one of my Parlay cards haha.  But, a game and a half in and I was like he is still the same dude he was in Chicago and I already thought they should have let Pickett play the 2nd half.  When that game ended, I actually thought for sure Pickett would start game 3 and was kind of surprised they didn't.  

Now normally, I wouldn't be so quick to pull the vet and put the rookie in, but the reality is that Trubisky did not beat out Pickett in the preseason, he did not prove to be the better QB.  They had a pretty equal preseason, and he got the starting job by default for experience.  If Mitch had decisively played better than Pickett, then I would be more patient and assume that the rookie is too far behind to be ready.  But given they played pretty equal, might as well make the switch now because the offense can't get much more anemic than it is under Mitch and Pickett probably even right now gives them the best chance to win.

Sorry Mitch, I was rooting for you...but I think it's pretty obvious it is time to make a switch and start the rookies on-field development now.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I saw this on Finheaven.  Its just pure speculation and don’t know who this guy is.

I was very worried until I saw this - this loser is a coach and is tweeting this?  

Zero integrity by this guy.  None.  Even if it is true, why would you post that?  

This loser can f*** off.  Look at him retweeting giddily about Micah being out with the "welp" tweet.  I'd think you'd know that considering within 3 hours you were tweeting about a career threatening injury.

Freaking loser.  

Oh I just saw the hash tags in his bio.  

Yep makes sense now.  

Edited by Big Blitz

At this point, like most people, I hope Poyer can play Sunday to bring some veteran leadership to the secondary with our young bucks.  Hyde is a very good player and will always be missed, but I have confidence in the guys behind him to step in and play too.  

But on a more serious note...not gonna lie, this Hyde situation is giving me Aaron Williams vibes.  It's usually pretty serious news when players start searching for 2nd opinions.  AW had to retire not because he couldn't play at a high level, his neck injury poised higher risk for severe risks in the event of another neck injury that included paralysis or even death.  So I am praying that is not the case for Hyde.

I just really really hope for Hyde's sake that whatever it is, that it's both not career threatening or even season ending.  It would be a shame if he wasn't on the field when we won the SB, he has given so much to this team since being here.  Dude deserves that moment, so I want him out there more because he deserves it than I do because of need.  

As far as the team impact on him being out this week and the possibility it could be longer or even the season...This is where more kudos goes to Beane.  He has built this team with the kind of depth we need to withstand inevitable injuries throughout the season, and that starts with his history of strong drafts.  So I have confidence on the next man up guys on this roster at most positions to come in and get the job done.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

I wish Bills fans used the Prime Directive from star trek when it comes to posting on other teams boards. Once we get in the mix it's a lot less interesting to read. I want to see them in their natural habitat, undisturbed, and allow them to understand the Bills greatness on their own, without our interference.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I saw all the injuries listed on the Dolphins message board and the fans are all  giddy.  Then some buffalo fan wrote Well with that many injuries the Dolphis would such if they lose.

Lol

Would they? Because even with the injuries, I still don't think they are going to score more than 24 and offensively the Bills should be putting up well into the mid 30s or higher.

52 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I was very worried until I saw this - this loser is a coach and is tweeting this?  

Zero integrity by this guy.  None.  Even if it is true, why would you post that?  

This loser can f*** off.  Look at him retweeting giddily about Micah being out with the "welp" tweet.  I'd think you'd know that considering within 3 hours you were tweeting about a career threatening injury.

Freaking loser.  

Oh I just saw the hash tags in his bio.  

Yep makes sense now.  

Triggered much?

He’s probably just some engineer, or mailman, or salesperson who also coaches his kids team. Basically no different than anybody here. 

• Agree 1

On 9/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, sven233 said:

That said, with him out, Tre already out, and now Jackson and Poyer not practicing today, what was once the strongest group on our team is now 100% backups and rookies heading into a game against maybe the best WR group we will play all season.  Not ideal to say the least.

it could be worse. They could have a better QB.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At this point, like most people, I hope Poyer can play Sunday to bring some veteran leadership to the secondary with our young bucks.  Hyde is a very good player and will always be missed, but I have confidence in the guys behind him to step in and play too.  

But on a more serious note...not gonna lie, this Hyde situation is giving me Aaron Williams vibes.  It's usually pretty serious news when players start searching for 2nd opinions.  AW had to retire not because he couldn't play at a high level, his neck injury poised higher risk for severe risks in the event of another neck injury that included paralysis or even death.  So I am praying that is not the case for Hyde.

I just really really hope for Hyde's sake that whatever it is, that it's both not career threatening or even season ending.  It would be a shame if he wasn't on the field when we won the SB, he has given so much to this team since being here.  Dude deserves that moment, so I want him out there more because he deserves it than I do because of need.  

As far as the team impact on him being out this week and the possibility it could be longer or even the season...This is where more kudos goes to Beane.  He has built this team with the kind of depth we need to withstand inevitable injuries throughout the season, and that starts with his history of strong drafts.  So I have confidence on the next man up guys on this roster at most positions to come in and get the job done.  

This is exactly what I'm feeling as well.  Same as Eric Wood.  Seemingly innocuous injury that with certain eyes looking on it find a high risk for a future life changing injury.  Hyde has been a Day 1 guy so it would be really disappointing for him to not be a part of the team's journey this year.

On the Xs and Os side, part of the scheme is how Poyer and Hyde can be very interchangeable but I do think Poyer would shift a bit more to that FS role with Johnson being more of a SS type player.

Long term, I was kind of under the impression that we were due for a bit of a changing of the guard at S overall. Hyde restructured his deal recently and it includes void years starting in 2024 so I was under the impression they would eventually be forced to move on after next season.  Obviously, Poyer is a FA coming up but a Hyde retirement could force the Bills hand a bit.

• Agree 1

Lots of speculation on this thread, which is kind of what boards are for.   I'll add to it.  Losing Hyde would be pretty parallel to losing Tre last year - and we should have really won the SB, even without him.

This team is all kinds of deep, and well coached. Hopefully it isn't even close to the worst of the speculation. Hopefully, he's back next week.  But this isn't the old days, where losing one great player would end the season.  The Bills are well constructed.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Success said:

Lots of speculation on this thread, which is kind of what boards are for.   I'll add to it.  Losing Hyde would be pretty parallel to losing Tre last year - and we should have really won the SB, even without him.

This team is all kinds of deep, and well coached. Hopefully it isn't even close to the worst of the speculation. Hopefully, he's back next week.  But this isn't the old days, where losing one great player would end the season.  The Bills are well constructed.

A lot of it is sentimental.  We all love the guy, and would just feel for him on a personal level.  

He’s a great player, and losing him would hurt, but we have a guy behind him in Jaquan Johnson, who has been ready to start for a while now.  

What this may do is drive up the FA cost of Johnson this off-season if the plan was to re-sign him on a team friendly deal and give him his shot.

That being said, like Hyde and Poyer, I think Johnson balls out in our system… somewhat due to the system. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

On the Xs and Os side, part of the scheme is how Poyer and Hyde can be very interchangeable but I do think Poyer would shift a bit more to that FS role with Johnson being more of a SS type player.

Johnson is very instinctual and plays fast, but dude runs a 4.7 40. He has good quickness and can hit, so I too hope he plays closer to the LoS. Poyer isn’t a burner either, but if Tyreek or Waddle get behind a corner and Johnson isn’t already sprinting ahead of him towards the endzone, it’s a wrap.

Too bad the GMen snatched up Nick McCloud. Word is he was doing very well at S and he’s also a burner (4.4).

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's a lot of rumors circulating online and easy to speculate he's done for the season based on the whole '2nd opinion' story.

But no matter what's happening it's a safe bet that Hyde probably won't be in the lineup any time soon even if the injury isn't season/career ending.

You're hoping anyway.

56 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

If I see Josh Thomas signed to the ps soon I’ll know somethings up that goes beyond day to day

He's currently on the Cardinal P/S.  

"IF" Hydes injury is serious, they are likely looking around the league at options on other P/S.  Teams can protect 4 players each week, so it's a possibility they have their sights on someone who is "protected". 

Unfortunately, might need to wait until Tuesday.  At that point, if Hyde isnt moved to IR then I'd consider him a potential return within a few weeks (hoping this is the case).

"EDIT": my comment above is incorrect, re: 4 PS being protected each week.  Thanks to @yoloinohio for clarification.

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mango said:

Triggered much?

He’s probably just some engineer, or mailman, or salesperson who also coaches his kids team. Basically no different than anybody here. 

It's not like the guy was celebrating hyde potentially being done from football..he even goes on to say he hopes hyde is ok and recovers

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Did I say that? No, I did not. 

Burroughs was not aware of the issue until he head a head/neck injury. Hyde seeking an outside opinion opens up the possibility the team DR's found something.

Well, when you wrote that Burroughs went thru the same thing, I took it mean the “same” thing. How silly of me to take what you yourself wrote literally and wonder if it had been reported somewhere. 

Hyde seeking another opinion opens several possibilities. I would hope that after he sustained his first serious neck injury in 2016 while with Green Bay, that the doctors would have discovered any congenital issues with his cervical spine. Him simply seeking a second opinion from those that treated him previously is as much a possibility as anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.