OBJ or Christian McCaffrey

TFBillsfan

2 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

A lot of talk about the Bills potentially adding OBJ later this year. With Carolina signing Blackshear, it got be pondering CMc future in Carolina. What if Carolina continues to tank and a trade could be worked out? Would you trade DS and a future draft pick to make that happen?  One could argue we are good at WR. McCaffrey would look great in the Bills backfield. 

Reality is most likely neither occur. 

Thoughts?

They signed a guy off our practice squad so immediately their best player becomes available for trade?

36 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This right here ^^^

not that OBJ and his knees are far behind on the injury front, but at least he’s a cheap buy in for half a season…, 

CMC is way to expensive contract wise, and basically he’s broken, and has been for a while now. 

CMC is actually quite - not expensive.  His base salary for the year is $1,035,000.  Only 1 million of his 2023 salary is guaranteed for injury.  So its basically 1yr 1M + 1M in injury guarantees and 3 option years at about 12M a piece.  

It would boost his cap hit for carolina from 8M to 27M though so I'm not sure they would trade him.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffery-21749/

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They signed a guy off our practice squad so immediately their best player becomes available for trade?

CMC is actually quite - not expensive.  His base salary for the year is $1,035,000.  Only 1 million of his 2023 salary is guaranteed for injury.  So its basically 1yr 1M + 1M in injury guarantees and 3 option years at about 12M a piece.  

It would boost his cap hit for carolina from 8M to 27M though so I'm not sure they would trade him.  

Nope, it was more about if Carolina continues to lose would they look to move him at some in the season as they look to the future.

37 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Even if you went with just his base salary, he's at $12M/yr the next 3 years. That is quite expensive for a RB. Would rather give that money to Davis.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Isn't McCaffrey due to be injured in a week or two anyways?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/22/christian-mccaffrey-limited-with-ankle-stiffness-in-thursday-practice/

Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey has been added to his team’s injury report.

Per Darin Gantt of the Panthers’ website, McCaffrey’s snaps were limited on Thursday due to some lingering ankle stiffness.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Okay, but he is broken and not dependable…, 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No chance on any RB not in the final year of their deal, and even then, we still wouldn't likely give up a trade asset for a RB when we barely run the ball, and when we do, Devin does quite well. 

OBJ is a possibility, although not a certainty.  

And unless Singletary puts a stranglehold on the RB1 job like he did last season, they're likely to let him walk in FA. Not that they don't like the dude, I'm sure they do, but they don't value RB very highly and will likely always look to have at least one back on a rookie deal. They have Moss and now Cook behind him. They've been waiting two seasons now for Moss to breakout and show he can be the guy they want him to be but so far he's been a bit of a bust. I mean, you can argue that the backs don't get as much of a chance to carry the ball given how often they throw it but you'd think the guy would make a bit more out of the touches he has gotten. 

But if it's me, and Moss just doesn't seem to take that next step while Singletary continues being very reliable then I'm probably cutting Moss and re-signing Singletary. 

5 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

A lot of talk about the Bills potentially adding OBJ later this year. With Carolina signing Blackshear, it got be pondering CMc future in Carolina. What if Carolina continues to tank and a trade could be worked out? Would you trade DS and a future draft pick to make that happen?  One could argue we are good at WR. McCaffrey would look great in the Bills backfield. 

Reality is most likely neither occur. 

Thoughts?

I like Blackshear as much as the next guy, but I don't think that picking up a UDFA from from another team's practice squad has much to do with the future of an all-Pro player (even one that gets injured a lot). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.