OBJ or Christian McCaffrey

TFBillsfan

A lot of talk about the Bills potentially adding OBJ later this year. With Carolina signing Blackshear, it got be pondering CMc future in Carolina. What if Carolina continues to tank and a trade could be worked out? Would you trade DS and a future draft pick to make that happen?  One could argue we are good at WR. McCaffrey would look great in the Bills backfield. 

Reality is most likely neither occur. 

Thoughts?

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

A lot of talk about the Bills potentially adding OBJ later this year. With Carolina signing Blackshear, it got be pondering CMc future in Carolina. What if Carolina continues to tank and a trade could be worked out? Would you trade DS and a future draft pick to make that happen?  One could argue we are good at WR. McCaffrey would look great in the Bills backfield. 

Thoughts?

No chance on any RB not in the final year of their deal, and even then, we still wouldn't likely give up a trade asset for a RB when we barely run the ball, and when we do, Devin does quite well. 

OBJ is a possibility, although not a certainty.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Also, re: running game... Once the Playoffs start, is anyone under the illusion that Josh Allen won't be running the ball?  

I love a regular season gameplan like the one we deployed vs the Titans.  Zero reason to run Allen right now.  That said.. in the Playoffs, he will be unleashed.  If anyone is worried about a running game, don't be... We will have one come playoff time.  

What we don't have is outside WR depth.  Shakir did not look ready in his limited snaps.   Kumerow and co., can fill in nicely in the regular season against Tennessee.. not trying to depend on him, if necessary, come Playoff time. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Thoughts?

Wait I’m confused-you think them signing Blackshear means they want to get rid of CMC?? I get the preseason love the guy got, but wow 

• Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Neither. 

Legitimately asking.. why?

He won’t be signed to take away snaps from Diggs or Davis.  We have a timeshare at slot with McKenzie and Crowder.   He’s definitely an upgrade over those two and provides outside WR insurance that we currently don’t possess. 

This is assuming he will sign for a moderate contract that we can fit easily under the cap for a half a season.  

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprise to see either happen, although I feel like CMC would be significantly less likely.  We can actually fairly easily fit him in here cap wise this season, but he is a one year rental, they are not going to pay him next year as Free Agent no matter how good he plays.  This is a passing offense, 0% chance they invest in a RB contract wise.  With that being known, I can't see Beane giving up a valuable draft asset we will need (and they keep succeeding with) to keep young talent coming into this roster with all the player contracts we have given out to keep or add important players.  

Plus Devin has shown to be very good for us when given rush attempts, we just haven't rushed the ball.  Not saying he is on CMC level, but its not like we have a problem rushing the ball, its that we just don't do it very often.  But the reason I said I still won't be surprised if we traded for CMC (even though I think its very unlikely) is because I do feel like Beane is all in on a Super Bowl this year...so he may say F it and just pull the trigger if he felt that got us over the top.  

So...coming back to all this, I think the most plausible scenario is OBJ obviously, but even that is not a certainty.  

Actually he is not expensive this year, and we can easily fit him in.  That being said, I think there almost no chance we trade for him for reasons I already posted.  But just saying the cost part of it isn't really relevant because we can fit him in and this is the last year of his deal. 

This is not the last year of his deal, he’s signed through 2026, it’s probably not even the last year he will see on this deal, it would be 18M in dead cap to cut/trade him next season too. 

There’s no way the Bills would take on his deal, I’m not sure anybody would honestly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.