Battle for Turf versus Grass seems to be getting more heated between NFL and NFLPA

Big Turk

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

In Green Bay they use “sunlights” at night on the field during mostly sunless winter days. 

That's because all the employees responsible for taking care of the field keep saying they don't want to work and they just want to bang on the drum all day.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I remember growing up when we had enough snow it was tackle along the street curbs...a few times we barely avoided being tackled directly into a big tree... 

We were playing tackle football on street with piles of snow on side.  One player ran for a catch right into a snowbank and ends up there was very little snow but an out of town truck buried there.  Ouch!

12 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Cardinals stadium in Glendale (where the super bowl is this year) has a removable grass field. They can literally roll it out of the stadium and take care of it and manicure it and then bring it back in as needed. Best of both worlds

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-crew-roll-super-bowl-field-into-stadium-390953539702

Same in vegas

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

turf is much different now than 2002-2008. 

depends on the turf.  Turf can be extra padded. 

Grass can be like Solider Field.  

I don't think it's a padding issue. Grass fields, for example can be REALLY effing hard in the winter (especially without sophisticated heating systems). 

It's an issue of traction/grip, rather than cushioning. Synthetic field surfaces, interacting with synthetic footwear substances under dynamic loads and lateral forces = unpredictable/problematic friction thresholds. Even an invisible, fractional blip of unnatural grip can apply enough force to tear the structural knee straps that otherwise make this bipedal miracle possible.

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't think it's a padding issue. Grass fields, for example can be REALLY effing hard in the winter (especially without sophisticated heating systems). 

It's an issue of traction/grip, rather than cushioning. Synthetic field surfaces, interacting with synthetic footwear substances under dynamic loads and lateral forces = unpredictable/problematic friction thresholds. Even an invisible, fractional blip of unnatural grip can apply enough force to tear the structural knee straps that otherwise make this bipedal miracle possible.

Sounds scientific to me....

Synthetic substance cant have grip on other synthetic substance, which physics maxim is this? 

Also, what you are saying implies that (non contact) ACL tears wouldnt happen at all on grass since its not a synthetic substance? 

Much confuse.

*edit*

So i looked into it, it has more to do with the artificial turf holding onto the cleat and never letting go -- here is the excerpt from NFLPA

Screenshot_20220923_020826.jpg

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like they would just find what is the safest and go with that. 

You pay these guys millions and cheap out on field care so they have a better chance to get hurt? Seems dumb.

That's like buying cheap oil for a race car.

I know no field is "cheap" but relatively speaking...

I'm surprised this is even a thing.

10 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Sounds scientific to me....

Synthetic substance cant have grip on other synthetic substance, which physics maxim is this? 

Also, what you are saying implies that (non contact) ACL tears wouldnt happen at all on grass since its not a synthetic substance? 

Much confuse.

*edit*

So i looked into it, it has more to do with the artificial turf holding onto the cleat and never letting go -- here is the excerpt from NFLPA

Screenshot_20220923_020826.jpg

That sounds a LOT like what I was saying, so thanks for finding a source to verify.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.