Battle for Turf versus Grass seems to be getting more heated between NFL and NFLPA

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I thought the new synthetic grass like turfs were designed to reduce injuries but apparently this is still an issue and it seems the battle over this is getting more and more heated between the NFL and NFLPA. I had no idea this was a hot button issue.

Players claiming it reduces their playing careers and causes injuries they wouldn't have gotten otherwise...many are pointing to the OBJ injury as one that wouldn't have happened on grass...they have a point...an NFL study done by it's injury and safety panel looking at data between 2002-2008 showed there was an 88% greater chance for an ACL injury and a 32% greater chance for an ankle injury on FieldTurf versus natural grass.

Owners like the synthetic fields because they are easier and cheaper to maintain and allow them to host more events that make money outside of football...

NFL is trying to take the middle path and work to develop new materials that have the best of both worlds but time seems to be running out with the NFLPA...would not be surprised to see this as a hot topic in the next CBA if something doesn't change...

https://sports.yahoo.com/from-astro-turf-to-frankenturf-inside-the-nf-ls-behind-the-scenes-battle-to-fix-its-turf-problem-140637769.html

Great post! Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

touch on the street, tackle on the grass

I remember growing up when we had enough snow it was tackle along the street curbs...a few times we barely avoided being tackled directly into a big tree... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Yup, and it's going to be crap from Mid November forward. 

The shade will be a bigger problem than the cold.

With Grow lights much better and cheaper, companies are popping up offering stadium grass growing solutions. Basically robot trucks with lights that move about a field. 

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Cardinals stadium in Glendale (where the super bowl is this year) has a removable grass field. They can literally roll it out of the stadium and take care of it and manicure it and then bring it back in as needed. Best of both worlds

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-crew-roll-super-bowl-field-into-stadium-390953539702

Out of all the new super-stadiums that have opened up in the recent years, University at Phoenix Stadium is still an architectural gem. Think it may have been the first or one of the first NFL stadiums with the retractable roof and the ability to roll out the entire field and set down a different surface allows versatility. Seems like most new stadiums would follow something similar, they just seem to really have nailed it with that one. They've hosted the Super Bowl what, three times now since it opened in the mid 2000s? (I'm certain my numbers are off here but I'm a lazy dillhole who doesn't wanna google right now).  

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

They've hosted the Super Bowl what, three times now since it opened in the mid 2000s? (I'm certain my numbers are off here but I'm a lazy dillhole who doesn't wanna google right now).  

2008, 2015, and this one coming up in 2023

23 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

2008, 2015, and this one coming up in 2023

This guy with the google, thanks. For some reason I thought the 2008 SB was the Cards vs. Steelers but that would mean the Cards would've played the SB at home and that didn't happen until Tampa Bay a couple years ago. That was a good one, tho. I checked out the stadium on Wikipedia, it's now named State Farm Stadium, and it's nickname is "The Big Toaster" which is quite fitting.

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This guy with the google, thanks. For some reason I thought the 2008 SB was the Cards vs. Steelers but that would mean the Cards would've played the SB at home and that didn't happen until Tampa Bay a couple years ago. That was a good one, tho. I checked out the stadium on Wikipedia, it's now named State Farm Stadium, and it's nickname is "The Big Toaster" which is quite fitting.

2008 would have been the 2007 season. The one you're thinking of was played in 2009, after the 2008 season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I thought the new synthetic grass like turfs were designed to reduce injuries but apparently this is still an issue and it seems the battle over this is getting more and more heated between the NFL and NFLPA. I had no idea this was a hot button issue.

Players claiming it reduces their playing careers and causes injuries they wouldn't have gotten otherwise...many are pointing to the OBJ injury as one that wouldn't have happened on grass...they have a point...an NFL study done by it's injury and safety panel looking at data between 2002-2008 showed there was an 88% greater chance for an ACL injury and a 32% greater chance for an ankle injury on FieldTurf versus natural grass.

Owners like the synthetic fields because they are easier and cheaper to maintain and allow them to host more events that make money outside of football...

NFL is trying to take the middle path and work to develop new materials that have the best of both worlds but time seems to be running out with the NFLPA...would not be surprised to see this as a hot topic in the next CBA if something doesn't change...

https://sports.yahoo.com/from-astro-turf-to-frankenturf-inside-the-nf-ls-behind-the-scenes-battle-to-fix-its-turf-problem-140637769.html

turf is much different now than 2002-2008. 

depends on the turf.  Turf can be extra padded. 

Grass can be like Solider Field.  

5 hours ago, eball said:

Bills new stadium will reportedly have real grass, correct?

I’m told we will know……..”soon”. Apparently that word is loosely defined. 

But how would they grow grass under the dome? 

EDIT:   :)

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m told we will know……..”soon”. Apparently that word is loosely defined. 

But how would they grow grass under the dome? 

It's not in a dome...they could simulate sunlight pretty easily. The same way people grow plants indoors in the winter(my Dad used to be a master Gardener)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not in a dome...they could simulate sunlight pretty easily. The same way people grow plants indoors in the winter(my Dad used to be a master Gardener)

Did you live in a grow house? 

Yes, I’m aware that it will not be a dome. That’s come up a few times ‘round these parts. I was kidding. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did you live in a grow house? 

Yes, I’m aware that it will not be a dome. That’s come up a few times ‘round these parts. I was kidding. 

No, he used them for aloe vera and starting tomatoes and peppers earlier than normal so they weren't growing from seeds when he planted them outdoors.

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In Green Bay they use “sunlights” at night on the field during mostly sunless winter days. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.