Battle for Turf versus Grass seems to be getting more heated between NFL and NFLPA

Big Turk

I thought the new synthetic grass like turfs were designed to reduce injuries but apparently this is still an issue and it seems the battle over this is getting more and more heated between the NFL and NFLPA. I had no idea this was a hot button issue.

Players claiming it reduces their playing careers and causes injuries they wouldn't have gotten otherwise...many are pointing to the OBJ injury as one that wouldn't have happened on grass...they have a point...an NFL study done by it's injury and safety panel looking at data between 2002-2008 showed there was an 88% greater chance for an ACL injury and a 32% greater chance for an ankle injury on FieldTurf versus natural grass.

Owners like the synthetic fields because they are easier and cheaper to maintain and allow them to host more events that make money outside of football...

NFL is trying to take the middle path and work to develop new materials that have the best of both worlds but time seems to be running out with the NFLPA...would not be surprised to see this as a hot topic in the next CBA if something doesn't change...

https://sports.yahoo.com/from-astro-turf-to-frankenturf-inside-the-nf-ls-behind-the-scenes-battle-to-fix-its-turf-problem-140637769.html

Edited by Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Battle for Turf versus Grass seems to be getting more heated between NFL and NFLPA
Just now, KDIGGZ said:

The Cardinals stadium in Glendale (where the super bowl is this year) has a removable grass field. They can literally roll it out of the stadium and take care of it and manicure it and then bring it back in as needed. Best of both worlds

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-crew-roll-super-bowl-field-into-stadium-390953539702

That is pretty amazing!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Cardinals stadium in Glendale (where the super bowl is this year) has a removable grass field. They can literally roll it out of the stadium and take care of it and manicure it and then bring it back in as needed. Best of both worlds

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-crew-roll-super-bowl-field-into-stadium-390953539702

Allegiant Stadium in Vegas has a synthetic turf for UNLV. They also have a roll in grass field for when the Raiders play. They simply roll the grass field over the synthetic turf.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Allegiant Stadium in Vegas has a synthetic turf for UNLV. They also have a roll in grass field for when the Raiders play. They simply roll the grass field over the synthetic turf.

Funny that Phoenix and LV, two of the driest, if not the two driest, environments in the league will use the water to maintain a natural grass field.  

• Like (+1) 2

This is a really good video about Allegiant Stadium. The part about the turf starts at the 3:15 mark but many other things about this stadium make this video worth the watch. Like the torch to honor Al Davis was 3D printed, making it the largest 3D printed structure in the world. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I've heard about complaints from teams that Arizona's grass actually sucks and causes injuries.  Doesn't seem to be as simple as grass = good by default.

• Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, eball said:

Bills new stadium will reportedly have real grass, correct?

Yup, and it's going to be crap from Mid November forward. 

Just now, Charles Romes said:

Turf at the Browns stadium looks strong.  Should hire that crew. I expect the partially closed roof will present challenges. 

The shade will be a bigger problem than the cold.

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I've heard about complaints from teams that Arizona's grass actually sucks and causes injuries.  Doesn't seem to be as simple as grass = good by default.

It's BS. It's been considered one of the best fields to play on until Andy Reid complained last week.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, boater said:

Grass doesn't do well in winter climates. For example: the Steelers have grass, by the time December comes around, it's a mud bowl.

The article I recall reading suggested the Bills stadium will have a heating element under the field that will counteract the negative implications of cold weather.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

The article I recall reading suggested the Bills stadium will have a heating element under the field that will counteract the negative implications of cold weather.

Yeah, that is one way to ensure constant temperature...

8 minutes ago, eball said:

In undergrad my school put a heating element under real soil+grass for the soccer team to help melt snow. Worked really well and I think it's pretty common these days. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.