Miami weather thread

Royale with Cheese

16 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It's called land sea breeze effect.

During the day, the land gets hotter and starts radiating heat upward. To fill the vacuum, the cooler, moist ocean air comes ashore.

It takes a few miles for it to heat up and get started up, which leads to the towering cumulus and eventual thunderstorms.

Reverse happens at night, when the air over land cools.

Now the ocean air is warmer, subsequently rises, and you get cumulus about ten miles offshore.

Very predictable. 

Also why a place like Webster park in Rochester right by the lake would be sunny right?

On Sunday mornings after a nice snow we'd go out there and walk the trails in the fresh snow stillness. Then go home in time for kickoff and drink hot chocolate. One of my favorite childhood memories, and it was always so sunny!

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Also why a place like Webster park in Rochester right by the lake would be sunny right?

On Sunday mornings after a nice snow we'd go out there and walk the trails in the fresh snow stillness. Then go home in time for kickoff and drink hot chocolate. One of my favorite childhood memories, and it was always so sunny!

I lived on the Lake in Webster for 12 years----sometimes it was sunny in winter...lol

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

I fixed it but a hurricane is heading for Florida late Monday night

more like Sunday at 1PM..

• Haha (+1) 1

With a possible hurricane coming their way next week, the water mammals might be thinking about other things other than the task at hand. (protecting property, getting their loved ones out etc..)

We'll be the first hurricane, We'll just fly in, kick their *** and get out.

Edited by frostbitmic

On 9/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, wjag said:

Belichick has stated that Miami has the greatest home field advantage of any team due to the heat and humidity.  Those early September games stress teams.  But I think it’s foolish to think the Dolphins also are not impacted by it.  Seems like the Bills get an early game there regularly.  So far, they have managed it. 

Exactly. I've always felt the whole weather home advantage topic is a crock. All NFL players have played and grew up in various areas of the country. To think that Miami or Buffalo players have an advantage because of their cities predominant weather conditions be it heat, humidity, cold, wind or snow to me is kinda funny.

Weather may effect play but it's not going to make Diggs feel any hotter than Hill or Tua any colder than Josh. Although it may be a different story in the trenches these are for the most part highly conditioned athletes who can tolerate inconvenient weather for 3 hours. 

Of course it's JMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Exactly. I've always felt the whole weather home advantage topic is a crock. All NFL players have played and grew up in various areas of the country. To think that Miami or Buffalo players have an advantage because of their cities predominant weather conditions be it heat, humidity, cold, wind or snow to me is kinda funny.

Weather may effect play but it's not going to make Diggs feel any hotter than Hill or Tua any colder than Josh. Although it may be a different story in the trenches these are for the most part highly conditioned athletes who can tolerate inconvenient weather for 3 hours. 

Of course it's JMHO.

Sure players have grown up playing all over the country

But when you’re preparing For Orchard Park in the winter… And you’re the dolphins… You literally can’t prepare for 20° or snow in Miami

The bills have Routinely practiced outside Over the years to prepare for OP weather … especially late in the season … The players live here during the season too

Miami or Dallas Cannot practice in it… the bills can… sometimes that’s the only edge you need at home 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I fixed it but a hurricane is heading for Florida late Monday night

In my experience, living in Florida during the worst decade (2000s) of Florida/North American tropical systems almost ever, the weather was often calmer the day before a system approached. Energy/moisture gets kind of pulled southward by the thirsty, hungover western half of a crawling tropical system. If Miami is steadily to the northeast of the storm's track, which seems like the case, then that DOES open the door to earlier storm activity as outer belts of disruption are spun north off the system's eastern half (where it's getting/gotten drunk off that warm & sweet Caribbean sea and then projectile vomiting to the north in its counter-clockwise spin). It's like this bipolar nightmare with respect to storm surge/flooding and thunderstorm/rain activity.

That being said, what was the question?

Edit: upon conducting 5 minutes of google research, the current spaghetti models for Ian have it trending like Charley in 2004. That was a nasty one. Really impacted SW and C Florida. Shouldn't do too much to Miami, though, other than some additional water and wind.  

Edited by Richard Noggin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.