Miami weather thread

Royale with Cheese

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Weather.com is saying right now 40% chance of rain...scattered thunder storms.

Normally I hate bad weather but I do think this highly favors us.  Miami can only throw (maybe) and rain slows down Hill, plus Tua is small.  He is erratic a lot in good conditions, make that ball wet....he's going to look like Nathan Peterman.  

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Miami+FL?canonicalCityId=c9d07351a6bbc498786bf52814f07b68fe43a40bfd634facef3db6b459321c41

I think our biggest concern are the injuries to our defense, not the weather.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Weather.com is saying right now 40% chance of rain...scattered thunder storms.

Normally I hate bad weather but I do think this highly favors us.  Miami can only throw (maybe) and rain slows down Hill, plus Tua is small.  He is erratic a lot in good conditions, make that ball wet....he's going to look like Nathan Peterman.  

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Miami+FL?canonicalCityId=c9d07351a6bbc498786bf52814f07b68fe43a40bfd634facef3db6b459321c41

There is a chance of rain in South Florida every day.  I live there part time and its hot and humid every day.  But the rain only stays for a short time unless a tropical storm is blowing in.   An interesting tidbit about South Florida weather.  It is almost always sunny at the beach.  The clouds and showers are usually inland about 2+ miles going towards Interstate 95.  Hard Rock Stadium is way inland in Miami Gardens halfway between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  So there will always be a chance of some rain during their games.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, wjag said:

Belichick has stated that Miami has the greatest home field advantage of any team due to the heat and humidity.  Those early September games stress teams.  But I think it’s foolish to think the Dolphins also are not impacted by it.  Seems like the Bills get an early game there regularly.  So far, they have managed it. 

I think Belicheat's statement could not be more wrong.   Playing at Mile High and literally processing oxygen better that your opponent is the biggest advantage in sports.  This is why Denver is always a good run team and the last time I checked, the 2nd best winning percentage at home since 1960 (behind Pitt).

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree.  I’ve been to Bills games in September, in TB, MIA, & JAX.   Sitting in the extreme heat and humidity is no fun.  

I have not been to a game in Miami, but have attended quite a few in Jax and Tampa. I generally like the heat, first of all. I routinely played tennis (singles) in FL around the noon to 2PM window because nobody else was stupid enough to play at that hour and courts were always available.  But sitting and roasting in a stadium can be absolutely BRUTAL early in the season. One game in Jax we were the only people left in our entire row. Everybody had gone inside by the concession stands for the shade and AC. We eventually joined them. The Bills were rotating their OLinemen that day due to the heat. 

Our DIL grew up in Sarasota and had Buc’s season tix. Early in the season the routine was to see the opening kickoff, then go into the club section and watch on TV until after halftime when shade finally found their seats. I often turned down free tickets early in the year. 

I know it might sound wimpy, but that heat can really kick your tail, especially if you opt for beer over water. I hope for everyone’s sake it just moderately oppressive. A cloud can be your best friend on a day like that! 

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

There is a chance of rain in South Florida every day.  I live there part time and its hot and humid every day.  But the rain only stays for a short time unless a tropical storm is blowing in.   An interesting tidbit about South Florida weather.  It is almost always sunny at the beach.  The clouds and showers are usually inland about 2+ miles going towards Interstate 95.  Hard Rock Stadium is way inland in Miami Gardens halfway between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  So there will always be a chance of some rain during their games.  

It’s the same on the west coast, often having clear skies at the beach, only having to look east toward I-75 to see the thunderstorms cooling them off.   In Sarasota the weather report for a solid 6 months is a low of 75 and a high of 90 +/- 2-3 degrees, and a 40% chance of rain. 

Isn't there always a 40% chance of thunderstorms this time of year in Miami?  I did see an expected high in the mid-80s.  I'm sure it will be humid, but mid - 80s and humid is a lot better than mid-90s and humid.  If it rains, it may cool temps down for a few minutes thereafter.  Lightening, of course, will cause a game delay.  

13 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Isn't there always a 40% chance of thunderstorms this time of year in Miami?  I did see an expected high in the mid-80s.  I'm sure it will be humid, but mid - 80s and humid is a lot better than mid-90s and humid.  If it rains, it may cool temps down for a few minutes thereafter.  Lightening, of course, will cause a game delay.  

Yes.  From a south Florida local.  40% is actually decent, usually they say 50% just to hedge their bets.  There must be an additional level of confidence that it won't actually rain - or at least not rain long.

Any chance the hurricane is going to impact the game at all? South Florida is in the cone currently. How does insurance for the game work if they are in a hurricane cone? I know they won’t write new policies, but would they allow fans in stands within a certain amount of time before a potential landfall?

edit: just saw the timing, not looking like it will be in the area until Tuesday or Wednesday. Would think given that timing they aren’t going to be too worried about potentially impacting preparedness by having the game, but having lived down there Sunday could be a mess in terms of people flocking to stores if it starts looking like it could hit the area, and it would be a pretty big evacuation day. It kind of looks like it has a chance to make landfall in Ft Myers and come across the Everglades into South Florida. That could mean a north east quadrant hit by a major hurricane on Ft Lauderdale with back side storm surge while intensifying over the Everglades…eek, gonna start going on the storm forums.

I’m not 100% that this game isn’t going to be postponed. 

Edited by HardyBoy

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Any chance the hurricane is going to impact the game at all? South Florida is in the cone currently. How does insurance for the game work if they are in a hurricane cone? I know they won’t write new policies, but would they allow fans in stands within a certain amount of time before a potential landfall?

Won't affect the game at all. I'm just hoping it goes more east.

21 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

An interesting tidbit about South Florida weather.  It is almost always sunny at the beach.  The clouds and showers are usually inland about 2+ miles going towards Interstate 95.  Hard Rock Stadium is way inland in Miami Gardens halfway between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  So there will always be a chance of some rain during their games.  

It's called land sea breeze effect.

During the day, the land gets hotter and starts radiating heat upward. To fill the vacuum, the cooler, moist ocean air comes ashore.

It takes a few miles for it to heat up and get started up, which leads to the towering cumulus and eventual thunderstorms.

Reverse happens at night, when the air over land cools.

Now the ocean air is warmer, subsequently rises, and you get cumulus about ten miles offshore.

Very predictable. 

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.