To Run or Not To Run

Wizard

We are a pass first team and that is in alignment with what works in modern football. 

We have to run enough to keep the defense from focusing on the pass, because defenses will do that every time.  We cannot expect Allen to make every play.  

We also need to run better on short yardage and when we need to chew up some clock.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

With a top shelf passing game and a solid defense (only going to get better when the CB's and DT's) get healthy, there are no complaints whatsoever about scoring 28-40 points a game with Allen at the helm running a pass heavy offense.

I am curious about the vision the team has for the running game though.

Is there an ideal split for carries? Do the Bills plan on having three or four capable backs and churning over new ones every few years for salary to be used on other positions while Allen is a top 3 QB the next decade? Do we have 4-5 passing options each down and keep doing that until a team learns to slow the offense a bit?

I think it is awesome that the Bills barely utilize a running game. Other than Singletary having  like two big games last year to get over 800 yards, our RB's have averaged like 500-600 yards the past 5 years  when you take away Allen's running skills.

I wonder if the Bills will have a bell cow back again, or if RB is likely the 4th option on most plays.

Thoughts?  Would you like to see anything different or are you indifferent like me as long as we win?

They say “styles makes fights.” I say depending on the opponent 

I wish they would give Motor some ore carries per game I think that with Josh hitting so much down the field that would soften the line play & open some holes for the run game if for nothing else to keep the other team on notice that hey we can run it too .

The passing game was on point last game and they were attacking them in that way but i love to see Motor get his game on too but it seems they shut that part of the game down pretty quickly but it will be one piece that they will for sure need at some point this season .

And most teams that go deep into the play offs always have a running game they can depend on to move the ball if the other avenues seem to not be working quite as well so i hope they get some actual on field experiences with it to show they can when it's needed .

My take is that to win a football game you need to score more points than the other team does in 60 minutes.  (revolutionary, I know...)  It doesn't matter how you score those points, running, passing, special teams, defense, kicking, they all count the same.

With our offense we score points easiest when passing the ball.  We're not as good at running the ball.  As long as our passing game can product 35-40+ points a game passing, I don't care if they run at all.  If at some point the lack of a running game begins to lessen the effectiveness of the passing game, then that needs to be addressed.  So far it doesn't look like our anemic running game is affecting our passing game.  At one point against the Titans the Bills called 20+ pass plays in a row.  It was in the 3rd quarter when the offense scored the most points.

There are no bonus points awarded by the football gods at the end of the game for having a "balanced attack".   Would it be great to have both a fantastic passing and running game?  Of course it would, but right now no one can stop our passing game even when they know we're going to pass it.  I'm not for taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands and putting it in Moss or Singletary's for the sake of "balance" if Moss and Singletary are not as effective running the ball as Josh Allen is throwing it.

Until someone figures out how to stop Josh Allen and our passing game, why would you want to run it more?  The only time we run should be to set up the pass, to slow down the pass rush on occasion to keep the defense honest,  and to salt away the clock in the 4th quarter when we have a big lead.

An offense that goes away from what it does best to satisfy this theoretical notion of "balance" is going to score less points and lose more games.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

With a top shelf passing game and a solid defense (only going to get better when the CB's and DT's) get healthy, there are no complaints whatsoever about scoring 28-40 points a game with Allen at the helm running a pass heavy offense.

Is there an ideal split for carries? Do the Bills plan on having three or four capable backs and churning over new ones every few years for salary to be used on other positions while Allen is a top 3 QB the next decade? Do we have 4-5 passing options each down and keep doing that until a team learns to slow the offense a bit?

I think it is awesome that the Bills barely utilize a running game. Other than Singletary having  like two big games last year to get over 800 yards, our RB's have averaged like 500-600 yards the past 5 years  when you take away Allen's running skills.

I wonder if the Bills will have a bell cow back again, or if RB is likely the 4th option on most plays.

Thoughts?  Would you like to see anything different or are you indifferent like me as long as we win?

This would be a good time to get the running game going. That team is fast. Josh is at a point where he can change plays when he assesses the defense. I didn't like Ken Dorsey having Allen in the shotgun on those 3rd and 4th and ones. Why didn't he call a quarterback sneak? I don't like nitpicking Dorsey, but I hated those calls. Hopefully he learns from that.

The days of the bell cow back are over. You just have to run enough to keep the defense honest. Allen’s threat as a runner also lends a huge hand in our success in the pass game as well so you can’t abandon that either.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Watch the 90's Bills games. They set up in shotgun (k-gun) every play so it looked like every play was a pass. The only running play they had was run left or run right and they were very effective running the ball of course as Thurman was league MVP. I think they are trying to do too much in our current offense. If you are a great passing team then why even line up in certain "strong" running sets/personnel? You are announcing to everyone that you are running. I think more zone runs is the answer. If they think you are passing then that should be a free 5 yards every time you run

We don’t always run when we line up in “strong” personnel. It’s all about keeping the defense guessing-  show one thing, do another.  Gilliams TD catch was a strong formation- we threw the ball and scored a TD. 

Causing confusion = the name of the game regarding calling and O and a D.  Dorsey seems to be doing a very good job of this imo.  We’ve thrown plenty from strong alignments 

• Like (+1) 1

We need to run the ball as little as possible. 

Our run game stinks. Our RBs stink. Our personnel decisions when it comes to RBs stink. 

I struggle to remember a running game that looked so ineffective and hopeless. 3rd/4th and 1, I have zero confidence that our RBs can pick it up. 

Josh Allen, and short/quick passes to WRs at the LOS, needs to be our run game. 

Beane is the GOAT, but to spend THREE highish draft picks on RBs in the last few years and have this to show for it.....OOF. 

As long as the Bills continue what they started last year putting Singletary as the overwhelming starter, only using Moss as breather. 

Maybe James Cook will be good, but right now he's not better than Diggs with the ball in his hands, or Gabe Davis getting open, or Allen making plays, so its a secondary development goal, just like the Bills did the other night, running out the clock in the 4th-Quarter with him in a blowout. 

As long as Singletary/Moss doesn't trend towards a 50/50 split, I'm happy with the amount we run. 

We have the best QB in the league. You don't take the ball out of his hand. Brady never had a decent run game. Green Bay was hit or miss. Peyton had a solid run game in Indianapolis but not in Denver. 

KC has no sig run game. Rams did with Jackson for a while but no longer.

NFL has changed even in bad weather. 

That said when Singletary was doing well at the end of the year the offense was unstoppable. There will be games this year or perhaps more accurately portions of games where we will need the run game to step up. Even MVP QBs have off days. 

I think Dorsey gets it.  He wouldn't have called 20+ pass plays in a row in the Titans game otherwise.  If the passing game is working it looks like he will stick with it until it doesn't.  In the Rams game we had more success running the ball and he ran it more.  Titans game not so much and we ran it less.  I think the offense is in good hands.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Dorsey gets it.  He wouldn't have called 20+ pass plays in a row in the Titans game otherwise.  If the passing game is working it looks like he will stick with it until it doesn't.  In the Rams game we had more success running the ball and he ran it more.  Titans game not so much and we ran it less.  I think the offense is in good hands.

Titans are usually a good run defense team.  They missed some tackles against the giants but they still carry a pretty stout group of linemen and linebackers.  

Their secondary has a lot of young players especially at corner and it looks like dorsey decided - they have no one who can hang with Diggs.  He was right.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Well this has been mentioned before but I believe in the not to distant future we will see a game that the bills just run the ball and sit on the clock. Maybe week 6 but who knows and you are going to see gill as fb and extra ol and tes in the game with delayed handoffs. And dorsey will say to the nfl see if you can stop a 2 headed beast. 🙄 

Than you put our defense out there and get 1 or 2 turnovers the opponent's offense has maybe 4 drives. If we use up 8 plus minutes per drive running the ball.  

Jauron ball eh

4 hours ago, Wizard said:

When we lead the NFL in point differential and are scoring at will throwing the ball, I will never complain that we need to run the ball more.  However, the weather is inevitably going to change.  The playoffs are inevitably going to arrive.  And the one constant is that being able to win in the trenches becomes crucial.  And the reason for that is your team needs to both be able to stop the run and on the other side be able to effectively run the ball.  

Doesn't mean you have to be a run first team, just means history has shown us that being able to run the ball makes things easier come winter and the playoffs.  

Now...why I am not concerned.  We are dominating in the trenches already.  We have been able to run fairly easy when calling in rhythm running plays (not those funky tricky plays like he tried on 4th and 1 that was god awful play call choice).  The new OL run blocking scheme looks much improved.  Devin has shown he can be very good when given sufficient carries already last year, and that was before the better run blocking scheme.

So I think when the time comes and we need to run the ball more (and that could even be this weekend with all the defensive injuries we have to try and hold the ball longer and limit Miami's time of possession), this team is well equipped to be able to get the job done.  In the meantime, if we keep scoring at ease through the air I am just fine with that.  

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion, switching backs (Singletary and Moss) every drive is idiotic. Neither guy ever gets in a rhythm with as little as we run. It started with Daboll and Dorsey seems to be following suit. I like Moss, but Motor is clearly the better back and should be getting most of the touches, with Moss spelling him and Cook in on special packages (not sure he's up for a full 3rd-down role yet...not sure of his pass protection). They seem to want to use Moss as their short yardage back, but he's not an old thunder, bull dozier type of player. He's not elite/special in that role by any means. He should be used to spell Motor and maybe in 4-minute drives at the end of the game to wear the other team out (he does have a bit more pop than Singletary).

No, we don't need a bell cow back, as we are a passing offense. But, we do need to use our backs better and more strategically.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.