Why I Want to Beat the Phins so bad this week

WhitewalkerInPhilly

Obviously, we all want the Bills to throttle the Dolphins. But as I am getting ready for this game I've realized: I don't think there's a team left on the schedule who I so viciously want to dominate, and that puzzled me.

Obviously, I want to knock off the Chiefs but we proved that it can be done in the regular season last year, and if we don't manage it Week 6, there's darn good odds that we get another bite at the apple in January.

I want the Bills to beat the Ravens so I can have bragging rights versus a buddy of mine. I want the Bills to beat the Browns because eff those guys. But there is no one else left on the schedule that I would dread losing to. So why are the Dolphins bothering me so much?

Basically, it comes down to this: I remember back to 2020. The Bills had knocked off the Jets by a safe margin and edged out a division rival in the Dolphins (Fitz has played out of his mind) but now was the moment that the world told them they were in for a reality check. They were headed in to face the Rams, who had been to the Superbowl and had aspirations. And so the world said, "alright nice story but now it's time for a reality check". Sure, Stephon Diggs was a nice addition, and maybe they would scrap in but now they would be facing an elite team. Now, we know what happened as the end result, which is why we shouldn't get too cocky.

But I don't remember many "Man, this would be a statement win for the Bills" takes. I don't remember many "Josh Allen will be on the short list for MVP if this goes well" takes. I don't remember people asking if the Rams had been anointed too soon. And yet, I am hearing this level of hype for the Dolphins and it boggles my mind. I have heard legit questions of Tua being a dark horse MVP candidate after 7/8 quarters of meh play.

It took the Bills taking the 2nd seed and smacking the Ravens in the playoffs to be treated as legit contenders, and we still got "they're a nice underdog story". And, god forbid, if we lose, the Dolphins hold the head to head tiebreak and a 2-0 division record until we face them again...in mid-December.

I want this narrative to die horribly, and now. 

Bury 'em boys.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

But I don't remember many "Man, this would be a statement win for the Bills" takes. I don't remember many "Josh Allen will be on the short list for MVP if this goes well" takes.

I clearly remember all of these takes at the time. Josh was well praised with some expected trepidation, as we are seeing with Tua.

This is what happens when hype and expectations are piled on before a single snap happens.    And now with 2 convincing wins for the Bills and a ludicrous comeback, that most should consider flukey but don’t, by the dolphins and the media is hoping for a tight game that the dolphins win so there is more to talk about and more drama.   Handle business and it all goes away.  

So I agree with you but hopefully the men who have to play are all business like they have been so far!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's the NFL and hope springs eternal for every franchise.  I have no issue with the hype being shared.  If the shoes were reversed, TBD would be sky high with hope and expectations.  The cool thing is, they get to play the game.  It will be settled on the field.  And then just like that, it will be on to the next game.  They don't call it over reaction Monday for nothing.

The thing I was musing about yesterday was the sheer depth of content available these days.  With the advent of YouTube, AWS, message boards, etc., you can spend as much time as you want reading and listening.  We are a long way from the 90s dearth of coverage/opinions where the only real content was the evening SportsCenter segment and the Buffalo News Sunday and Monday papers.  I can remember reading everything on Monday if they won and nothing is they lost.  Now it's all internet content, but the same rules apply.  Watch everything I can if they win and internet hibernate if they lose.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I guess because Miami is a big market or something the Dolphins get a ton of undeserved hype. Like you said, any sign of possible quality play and the media jumps on board. They're like the Cowboys of the AFC. 

Can't stand it.

I thought the Raiders were the Cowboys of the AFC?

7 minutes ago, wjag said:

It's the NFL and hope springs eternal for every franchise.  I have no issue with the hype being shared.  If the shoes were reversed, TBD would be sky high with hope and expectations.  The cool thing is, they get to play the game.  It will be settled on the field.  And then just like that, it will be on to the next game.  They don't call it over reaction Monday for nothing.

The thing I was musing about yesterday was the share depth of content available these days.  With the advent of YouTube, AWS, etc, you can spend as much time as you want reading and listening.  We are a long way from the 90s dearth of coverage/opinions where the only real content was the evening SportsCenter segment and the Buffalo News Sunday and Monday papers.  I can remember reading everything on Monday if they won and nothing is they lost.  Now it's all internet content, but the same rules apply.  Watch everything I can if they win and internet hibernate if they lose.

Don't forget "Shout" - the day that came out (Thursday?) was the most exciting day of the week. I especially loved the training camp notes you could get there. It's crazy how thin those were compared to what our many resident dedicated posters give us, not to mention all the media types observing practices. But it was gold back then. 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I want them to beat Miami, because I'd sooner root for al-Quaeda than Miami

Miami is of the devil, bobby boucher

The Pats with Bill are the true evil. Miami is starting to get good now but for the longest time they have been "meh". You have to go back to the Kelly-Marino days since these teams played a game of real importance.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

The Pats with Bill are the true evil. Miami is starting to get good now but for the longest time they have been "meh". You have to go back to the Kelly-Marino days since these teams played a game of real importance.

False. There is no other team I despise more than Miami. Patriettes are johhny-come-latelies.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.