Baldy's Breakdowns - week 2

JÂy RÛßeÒ

LOVE THESE!

On that 4th and 1 play where the Bills were stopped that he shows, I still think the Bills were trying to run a similar play to Davis against the Rams where he scored---block the end man on the line and then release into a pattern...except he missed his block and Byard crashed into the backfield to disrupt the play.  

If Davis was in there, that wouldn't have happened.  These are the type of details that go awry when backups who don't run these plays very often are forced into action without many prior reps.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Josh trying to do too much on that 4th and 1 - Byard attacking the mesh point just give it and let Moss fall forward for a yard.

Shakir missed the block...that's where we missed Davis. That's a block he makes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

100% he missed the block, but Byard is Allen's read. That read is telling him to give not keep.

That's why I think it was a similar play to the one they ran to Davis....Shakir holds the block for a second to let Allen get depth, then releases, Byard comes at Allen and he flips it over his head to a wide open Shakir.

Allen WANTED Byard to crash---just not with a free run at him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

That's why I think it was a similar play to the one they ran to Davis....Shakir holds the block for a second to let Allen get depth, then releases, Byard comes at Allen and he flips it over his head to a wide open Shakir.

Nah, that play to Gabe was designed to either go to Gabe or have Allen keep it on the Naked Boot. This 4th and 1 was true Zone Read.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Man, that first TD pass play to Gilliam, how did we not get flagged for Spencer Brown being so far downfield? He was as deep as the LBs!

(Good teams are lucky)

It's only a penalty if he's engaged as a blocker downfield. Since he wasn't blocking anyone he's allowed to go wherever he wants as long as he reported as an eligible receiver. We snuck him downfield to block in the second level after setting up the screen.

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Man, that first TD pass play to Gilliam, how did we not get flagged for Spencer Brown being so far downfield? He was as deep as the LBs!

(Good teams are lucky)

Didn't Allen already pass the ball before he got there?

They get 5 yards past the line.

Just now, patzen said:

It's only a penalty if he's engaged as a blocker downfield. Since he wasn't blocking anyone he's allowed to go wherever he wants as long as he reported as an eligible receiver. We snuck him downfield to block in the second level after setting up the screen.

mzfzUQr.png

(I actually believe you)

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Didn't Allen already pass the ball before he got there?

They get 5 yards past the line.

He's downfield before we even finish the play action portion. But looks like it was all good thanks to @patzen's clarification.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, patzen said:

He 100% isn't an eligible receiver on that play - he was covered. Ball started on the 10 - he was close enough within that 1 yard downfield range they allow on screens when not engaged for it to not be a flag.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HoofHearted said:

He 100% isn't an eligible receiver on that play - he was covered. Ball started on the 10 - he was close enough within that 1 yard downfield range they allow on screens when not engaged for it to not be a flag.

Yeah, that's what I figured as well. Definitely wasnt eligible, but still within the range (or close enough) as far as the refs saw, and more importantly not engaged.

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

edit: lol, even Baldy says "I dont know how he got there".

(Good teams are lucky)

I believe there is no ineligible man downfield penalty if the ball never crosses the line of scrimmage. Spencer Brown knew it was a screen to Gilliam, so he could have been wherever. Gilliam catches the ball behind the LOS. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I believe there is no ineligible man downfield penalty if the ball never crosses the line of scrimmage. Spencer Brown knew it was a screen to Gilliam, so he could have been wherever. Gilliam catches the ball behind the LOS. 

That is college-only. In the NFL a forward pass is a forward pass. (Unless the rule changed very recently)

I still think we got away with one, because the NFL rule is 1 yard and he was definitely more than 1 yard away from the LOS. But maybe not being engaged helped the refs miss it.

That, and Josh's beautiful play action fake took all their eyes to the run.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

These are always fantastic!

Thanks for posting!

Glad he showed the one great defensive Titan stop, not just Bill "highlights".

That was a perfect playcall by the bills that goes for good yardage if shakir just slows byard down a little bit…it didn’t even have to be a full on block…I don’t think byard brings josh down one on one if josh has some space to operate 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.