Panthers signing Raheem Blackshear off PS

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

How would you classify the LBs “looking good” based on the fact they haven’t been on the field outside of garbage time?  

CB is easily the thinnest position on the roster, you can’t see how we could use another top talent there? 

How much time does Cook need to learn?  He couldn’t start at Georgia, sitting behind a back that’s barely hanging on to a roster spot in the NFL.  Yeah, he’s got a couple of nice traits, but he’s never done anything with them.  He’s a pass catching back, that offers zero versatility, no blocking and is useless between the tackles, sounds like a hell of a 2nd round pick.  I know you think you got Dalvin Cook, but you got Cooper Manning and don’t recognize it yet.

That would be epic, 99.9% not happening, but damn.

Okay...they looked as good as Blackshear did in preseason.  Or is that argument only valid with Blackshear.   Both CBs drafted in this draft are starting.  It is not a thin position.  We've got better CB depth than any team in the league.  Cook did not sit behind, I think you're talking about White.  They split carries.  Both backs were used by Georgia, rather effectively, I might add.   The speed of the game in the Pros is faster.  RBs need to learn quite a lot when they make the jump.  He's had a handful of carries thus far...and you want to judge his career on that?

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

People laugh but I was very impressed with the agility and awareness Blackshear showed. The guy made some really nice cuts to daylight.

As much as some fans overvalued Blackshear there are just as many who undervalued him.  He made the PS and that's a tough thing

to do with this team.  I miss any PS player poached.  He had a lot of time with the club and may have been useful during the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Well if a player is really one the team does not want to lose they can offer to pay him a bonus to not sign with another team.

The minimum pay for being on the active roster is HUGE in comparison to practice squad, most players will take it.

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

One less RB they can shove into the rotation. Last year a two man rotation didn’t work so they cut it down to me one and had success. This year they come out with a three man rotation and it looks to be our weakness again.

Gotta love it.  McClappy makes me want to McSlappy him for personnel choices at times.  RB is one he sure hasn’t gotten right yet.

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

How much time does Cook need to learn?

Buffalo tends to draft for traits.  You highlighted everything he struggles with and literally said nothing positive about him. 

1. Fast - 4.42 speed, but also it seems like its a fairly sudden speed out of his blocks.  
  2. Patience - doesn't just blaze right into his blocks
  3. Solid hands - mismatch against LBs
  4. Cuts - Has the ability to make cuts with speed to gain additional yards

None of which matters when you can’t get on the field because you can’t block and the fact he doesn’t offer anything from a running perspective means they basically drafted a slot WR who lines up funny. 

Hope I’m wrong, but based on the current track record of RBs in the McBeane era, I’m betting I’m not.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Okay...they looked as good as Blackshear did in preseason.  Or is that argument only valid with Blackshear.   Both CBs drafted in this draft are starting.  It is not a thin position.  We've got better CB depth than any team in the league.  Cook did not sit behind, I think you're talking about White.  They split carries.  Both backs were used by Georgia, rather effectively, I might add.   The speed of the game in the Pros is faster.  RBs need to learn quite a lot when they make the jump.  He's had a handful of carries thus far...and you want to judge his career on that?

I see your Homerism will not be reasoned with, good day, Go Bills!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Accusing others of “homerism (sic)” is really a poor excuse for an argument.  The absolute fact is that Blackshear demonstrated potential largely against opponents who are now flipping burgers.  He does have potential but was clearly the fourth best option at RB for the Bills, hence the practice squad.  Carolina, the 0 and 2 loser team, who nobody will confuse with a contender, is seeking better depth given the performance of their roster behind the starter at this point.  Too bad for the Bills, as I would like to have seen what he is capable of with a year of development with this team and staff.  That still may happen, but in the meantime, this is what having a deep championship caliber roster looks like.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Are you really this irrational, or are you just trying to irritate me?  You have not presented reasonable arguments.   It has nothing to do with homerism.  We simply disagree.

Let's agree on this:

1.  We both liked Blackshear and wanted to keep him.  Whether he amounts to a featured RB in the NFL remains to be seen.

2.  The same remains for Cook.  We'll see.

3.  Neither of us is McD or Beane, and we only see the game as fans.

4.  Go Bills!

25 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Not great news for a team that doesn't have featured back.  Cook isn't the answer.

😒

Your nose for talent evaluation and personnel fit with the offensive scheme is clearly based on expertise whetted and carefully honed by years of keyboard jockeydom.

As it is clearly superior to the poorly informed decisions of professionals whose job it is to make decisions using real data, would you consider teaching a course to pass your talents to those not gifted with such skills?

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The minimum pay for being on the active roster is HUGE in comparison to practice squad, most players will take it.

Yea most would rather be on a roster over a practice squad and then there are those thatcwill prefer another teams location.  However, it still is completely up to the player if they want to sign any offer they get.    And if a team really wants to keep the player they can offer a bigger check not sure if there are any limits and if it is counted against cap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.