A Few Thoughts About the Titans Game, in no particular order

Virgil

7 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Edmunds went high on him and took him down with ease.  That is something which simply doesn't happen often at all.  Big boy tackling right there.

That play, too, wasn't something you were likely to see in Henry's prime.  He just ran through high tackles, or carried the guy with him.  I liked Edmunds play, but I was a bit surprised when Henry couldn't handle it any better than he did.   

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes to this.  I hoped we getting someone really special, and he seems just ordinary.   He's confirming the fears I had watching his college replays, which is that if you give him a really nice hole, he can run through it.  But if you need to him beat a man in the hole, he doesn't have it, at least not yet.   He tried a couple of quick moves in the hole the other night, but they didn't work.  

As for his pass catching ability, we haven't seen it.   In fact, in this offense, if you're a running back, you have to be a running back first.   You have to be a real threat in the run game.  Bills are not going to put him in the game if all he can do is catch passes.   

Maybe he's still learning, but as you say, he plays a position where it's relatively easy to see if he has it, and we haven't seen it.  

Again here, I just think some are jumping the gun here...

He hasn't had very many opportunities at all for it to be seen at this point. I mean other than the last part of Tenn game when running ball for clock, how many opportunities has he had? Not many at all. Certainly not enough to be disappointed, for me anyway

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

What they were doing with Diggs reminded me a lot of what Brady used to do.  Come up to the line and see a DB playing 10 yards off? Doesn't matter what the called play was, just throw it out there and let the WR pick up easy free yards and make it a 2nd and 2 or pick up the first down.

But what were the Titans supposed to do? Press Diggs at the line with THOSE CBs they had??  They were in a no win situation and the Bills took full advantage.

In regards to Edmunds...there is a reason the Bills lead the NFL in pass defense over the past several years and it is in large part due to Edmunds and what he is able to take away and how he can compress passing windows in the middle of the field.

Dan Orlovsky said something tat really resonated with me on the broadcast. He said something like "The Bills make you earn every yard you get in the passing game, there is no such thing as an easy gain versus them. Even on short 4 or 5 yard completions, you have to execute at a very high level to complete the pass and it has to be a good throw, there is little room for error against them."  

And whether we want to admit it or not, Edmunds is a large reason for that. You'll see when he gets a contract in UFA...it will be a LOT higher than what people expect.  His value around the NFL for that ability alone is very vey high, especially from teams that struggle with that. Someone is going to think they are Tremaine Edmunds away from being one of the best pass defenses in he NFL even tho they might only be in the middle of the pack or the bottom third right now.

This is where ppl get lost with Edmunds. His wingspan and size severely chokes the field. His presence alone in the middle disrupts passing games with the aforementioned ability to inhibit passing lanes. He was great all game long, not just the first quarter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean I understand disappointment from the fumble, but he really hasn't had enough chances for any disappointment for me. Other than that what have you seen that makes you feel that way?

I will ad one thing though, to me he doesn't seem quite as fast as he was made out to be . But then again haven't really gotten the chance to see enough so 

I’m not even disappointed in the fumble.  I’m just disappointed in his “eye test”.  He just doesn’t look like a good Rb to my eye.  Very little make you miss ability.  Very little break tackle ability.  So-so lateral ability.  Doesn’t seem very decisive.  In college, it was mostly wide open holes or him beating defenders in the pass game.  

That said- i love his ability as a receiver.  He’s a natural hand catcher and fluid in his routes.  I just don’t know what his role will be here considering he’s such a meh rb (imo) and pretty bad (so far) in pass pro. 

I have the utmost confidence in Dorsey.  I think he’ll get some use out of him, but it’ll probably only be for one year. I think he’ll be a HC next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Again here, I just think some are jumping the gun here...

He hasn't had very many opportunities at all for it to be seen at this point. I mean other than the last part of Tenn game when running ball for clock, how many opportunities has he had? Not many at all. Certainly not enough to be disappointed, for me anyway

It's okay to be disappointed with him.  It isn't a final judgment; it's just that there are some things that we'd expect to see from him from day one, and I'm not seeing it.   He'll get more chances. 

Meanwhile, I got reamed here a few weeks saying they probably should be trying to find a spot on the roster for Blackshear.  Now, he's gone to the Panthers.   That "juice" that we were talking about?  Blackshear has it.   Not saying I would have kept him and released Cook, but I'm fully expecting we'll be seeing some Blackshear highlights soon. 

Just now, NewEra said:

I’m not even disappointed in the fumble.  I’m just disappointed in his “eye test”.  He just doesn’t look like a good Rb to my eye.  Very little make you miss ability.  Very little break tackle ability.  So-so lateral ability.  Doesn’t seem very decisive.  In college, it was mostly wide open holes or him beating defenders in the pass game.  

That said- i love his ability as a receiver.  He’s a natural hand catcher and fluid in his routes.  I just don’t know what his role will be here considering he’s such a meh rb (imo) and pretty bad (so far) in pass pro. 

I have the utmost confidence in Dorsey.  I think he’ll get some use out of him, but it’ll probably only be for one year. I think he’ll be a HC next season.  

I mean, I'm just saying with the very few opportunities isn't enough for myself to say that at this point.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's okay to be disappointed with him.  It isn't a final judgment; it's just that there are some things that we'd expect to see from him from day one, and I'm not seeing it.   He'll get more chances. 

Meanwhile, I got reamed here a few weeks saying they probably should be trying to find a spot on the roster for Blackshear.  Now, he's gone to the Panthers.   That "juice" that we were talking about?  Blackshear has it.   Not saying I would have kept him and released Cook, but I'm fully expecting we'll be seeing some Blackshear highlights soon. 

Well, yes of course it's okay to be disappointed, I wasn't implying it wasn't okay....

My point is that he hasn't touched the ball enough to be disappointed in as of now.  I don't know, that's just me anyways...

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean, I'm just saying with the very few opportunities isn't enough for myself to say that at this point.

Well, yes of course it's okay to be disappointed, I wasn't implying it wasn't okay....

My point is that he hasn't touched the ball enough to be disappointed in as of now.  I don't know, that's just me anyways...

Like Shaw said, it’s not a final judgment.  It’s “so far, he hasn’t impressed me in the least”.  That can change. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

As I said last week, I've refrained from taking notes while watching the games, so please don't break out the pitchforks if something is too terribly wrong.  Also, I was at the game and the cell service was terrible, so I couldn't really check up on much in the moment. 

1 - Henry - Yes, I know, this is a Bills review.  However, the once known King Henry was easily considered to be the most dominant force coming onto the field not wearing number 17.  However, I was absolutely floored to see how much of a non-factor Henry was in this game.  Not because the Bills had a great game-plan for him, but because he seems to finally be wearing down in his age, or due to injury.  I spotted at least 3 tackles on Henry were someone took him down with one arm, or solo, things that were nearly impossible in prior seasons.  Groot arm-barred Henry on one play and that seemed to be all she wrote for the Titans trying to run the ball.  Without any viable receivers and a much weaker Henry, the Titans are in for a long season.

2 - Stadium - @Shaw66wrote a great piece on the atmosphere and that I completely agree with, so why try to re-write what's already been well said.  I only have two things to add.  First, I didn't feel ESPN's presence at all in this game.  I saw some camera's near Pinto Ron, but that's it.  No one was on the sidelines that I could tell, nothing extra on the monitors.  It was just a Bills game that happened to occur at night.  Second, while I know everyone is an adult, fans really need to be saved from themselves on some level.  The extra time to drink before the game was apparent, and not in a funny way.  People were way to drunk to be walking up and down concrete stairs or even to be in public.  It was honestly sad and I was glad I didn't see a lot of kids at the game.

3 - Diggs - Here's how I imagine halftime went in the Bills locker room.  Diggs walked up to Dorsey, threw his playbook in the trash, slapped Motor and told him to fake an injury, then stared down McD until he peed a little.  Because the second half of this game, 3rd quarter for what matters, was literally backyard football between Diggs and Allen.  Everyone else on the Bills might as well have sat down on the field with popcorn.  The deep ball touchdown reminded me a lot of the Smoke TD against the Pats where the DB got all turned around, and the minute Josh saw the hips turn, just launched it deep.  Watching the play unfold from the stands was a thing of beauty. 

4 - Tell me about Ray and his girl
Do I know Ray has gone to meet you?
Love you, I do
Stay here, I won't
The stars fade from your eyes

5 - Preseason - If ever you needed a game to be reminded why the preseason means nothing, watching Shakir and Cooks in this game was is.  Like most people pre-game, I expected Davis being out meant that Shakir was going to line-up on the outside and have a solid game.  I was not expecting the Kumerow show, if I can even call it that.  Granted, Shakir messing up on that 4th and short play most likely earned him a seat in the McD doghouse, but Shakir was a complete non-factor in this game.  As for Cook, he may have broken off one good run in the 4th against back-ups, but he was still a non-factor in the game and looked kind of slow to me.

6 - Pass Rush - I will take all the credit for Groot having a good game, as I decided to wear his jersey to the stadium.  Outside of that, it seemed like the Frazier focused on more of a contained pass rush, as it Groot and Von looked to be trying to run around their blockers and coming in wide.  They rarely hit home, but Tannehill had not choice but to stand still in the pocket.  I'm sure everyone wanted to see another 7 sack game performance, but you can't argue with the results as Tannehill put on an absolutely dreadful performance and got benched after the pick 6. 

7 - Jordan - This man is worth his contract just on being a hype-man alone.  Jordan was all about the fans in this game, waiving his arms to get the crowd louder, running around the endzone, and overall just giving the defense it's personality.  His performance didn't jump off the stat sheet, but neither did anyone on the Titan's offense.  In a game where I was initially worried about the loss of Ed and Settle, I was calmer to know Jordan was still in there.

8 - Edmunds - I can't even think about how long it's been since I had something positive to say about Edmunds, but he really had a monster first quarter.  Not only did he get into the backfield, but he got their fast, decisively, and laid the lumber on a few plays.  He looked like an absolute menace, before completely disappearing for the rest of the game.  While that may seem like a knock on Edmunds, it's really not as the Titans offense just puttered through the rest of the game looking like a high school team during their first practice.

9 - Beane - While not on the field, and while we did play against the broken Titans, Beane deserves the game ball for me here.  To be down our #2 receiver, #1 and #3 DT, #1 and #2 DB, and Morse for most of this game, and still have the depth to win 41-7....wow.  I mean, wow.  The depth on this team is ridiculous and it really showed.  You can argue Elam not being on the field until later in the game, but that's also a testament to how well Benford has panned out.  Now, the injuries are a concern going forward, but you have to admire a team that won so soundly, when other teams would have folded with half of those injuries.

10 - Tua - I had the pleasure of being at the Ravens/Dolphins game on Sunday, which was a perfect scouting opportunity for the Bills next two opponents.  I have to say, if the Bills can just tackle and keep one safety deep, the Dolphins are the not the team their score indicated they are.  I'm not trying to be cocky or predict a win (you know that goes with me), but watching each teams defense was a head scratcher to me.  Both teams played Cover 1, or had both safeties within 10 yards of the LOS.  Both of the Hills TD's at the end were on busted coverage because, why cover the fastest player on the field?  Almost all of Tua's passes were WR screens, quick outs, or slants.  There were so many balls that hung up in the air that the Ravens almost picked off.  The Dolphins seem to rely on Waddle and Hill breaking tackles and busting loose downfield.  While being down Jackson and Tre is scary, our LB's and Safeties being able to cover their zone's are probably the most important gameplan we can implement.  If nothing else, seeing Tua's arm in person really made me appreciate Josh.

Go Bills!

You know when I know it’s the NFL season, it’s “a few thoughts in no particular order”, and the “Rockpile Review”.  Thanks to both of you guys, and Virg, thanks for the intel on Miami/Baltimore.  I couldn’t agree more.  I won’t go beyond this prediction, we will be 5-0 with the way this team is playing going into Arrowhead.  Let’s keep fingers and toes crossed we see a healthy Tre to complete this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, I'm with you.  Dude's only carried the ball 12 times and hasn't had any targets.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Like Shaw said, it’s not a final judgment.  It’s “so far, he hasn’t impressed me in the least”.  That can change. 

No I get it, I know it's not final...I'm just saying, even now at this point, up til last quarter vs Tenn when he got the runs to run down clock...  before that point the 2 games that he had (I'm guessing here) maybe 5 or so touches combined for both games, that is why I don't think a handful of carries is enough for disappointment at the moment.

Anyways, was just curious. It's possible you may have seen something that I might have missed that plays a factor in it. But all good bro

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, I'm with you.  Dude's only carried the ball 12 times and hasn't had any targets.

Lol, I honestly didn't think it was that many. Are you counting the carries at the last qt of Tenn game? Or leading up to that point?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

No I get it, I know it's not final...I'm just saying, even now at this point, up til last quarter vs Tenn when he got the runs to run down clock...  before that point the 2 games that he had (I'm guessing here) maybe 5 or so touches combined for both games, that is why I don't think a handful of carries is enough for disappointment at the moment.

Anyways, was just curious. It's possible you may have seen something that I might have missed that plays a factor in it. But all good bro

Lol, I honestly didn't think it was that many. Are you counting the carries at the last qt of Tenn game? Or leading up to that point?

I'm counting all of them.  Looks like he had 2 carries in Week One and 1 carry in the 1st quarter of Week 2.  The other 9 carries were in the 4th quarter.

51 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

I noticed that they were wrapping Henry up low as well and commented on it specifically on Elam's tackle since he came into the draft with a bit of a reputation for not liking big contact...good run support there by the rook.  However there was one tackle of Henry that stood out for me as a bit of a wow moment, and it was when Edmunds went high on him and took him down with ease.  That is something which simply doesn't happen often at all.  Big boy tackling right there.

Very few can tackle Henry like that.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Great write up as usual!

Pertaining to #10, I'm hoping we are only missing Jordan Phillips for this game.  I think the big guy's hammy is going to take a bit of time to heal.  I think Jackson will be ready to go.  The Phins are going to have to use the quick passing game because I think the Bills defensive line is going to be in the back field early and often.  If the Bills' D can tackle Hill and Waddle soundly this game should go the same way the first two went with the Bills' offense slowly pulling away to a big 2nd half lead.  Frazier and McDermott are not going to allow Hill and Waddle to get behind the defense repeatedly, and inexplicably, like the Ravens did.

This Bills offense is amazing to watch, but it is the defense that I'm excited to see this week.  You know anytime the defense gets a stop on downs or turnover Josh and the offense is going to take the ball down the field and extend the lead.

I don't think Jackson will be ready to go.  I think he will be wanting to go, but wiser heads will prevail on a short week. 

As Banged-up points out, it's essentially akin to a whiplash injury, and it's probably gonna take a week for the swelling to subside to where he can just physically turn his head.  And that's with all the stuff they do, without that 2 weeks or more.

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm counting all of them.  Looks like he had 2 carries in Week One and 1 carry in the 1st quarter of Week 2.  The other 9 carries were in the 4th quarter.

Exactly...That's what I was saying. So 3 carries up til then is where I don't see how that's enough to feel he's disappointing. Poster mentioned "they haven't seen it yet". Not much to see from 3 carries lol.

As for the last part of Titans game I thought he did just fine considering not only the back-up OL blocking, but also Titans clearly knew it was a very slim chance of any passes so they played the run every snap. That said, he still managed to get a good chunk run out of it.

So I just don't understand where the disappointment is coming from.... but anyways, no biggie

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

On Diggs's long TD, I was watching the receiving on the near side of the field (for me), and the guy next to me said, "He's got him!" just as Josh was beginning to throw.  I looked up and saw Diggs beyond his defender.   I remember thinking, "this is a touchdown," because I knew Allen would hit him and I knew Diggs would catch.  Then, with the ball in the air, I thought, "Is it too long?"  Then Diggs had what looked like just two steps that amount to an extra speed burst - it looked like he turned on the afterburners to make up a little ground, then turned them off again and just settled into getting under the ball and finding a comfortable way to catch it.  The two of them together already are masters at what they do, and they have several more seasons to do it.   It's really special.  

Yes, the afterburner speed boost.  I remember being in awe of it on the replay.

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Exactly...That's what I was saying. So 3 carries up til then is where I don't see how that's enough to feel he's disappointing. Poster mentioned "they haven't seen it yet". Not much to see from 3 carries lol.

As for the last part of Titans game I thought he did just fine considering not only the back-up OL blocking, but also Titans clearly knew it was a very slim chance of any passes so they played the run every snap. That said, he still managed to get a good chunk run out of it.

So I just don't understand where the disappointment is coming from.... but anyways, no biggie

I'll try it this way.  I was disappointed when Gilliam tried backpeddaling to catch Allen's bomb.  I was disappointed when Milano dropped the second interception.  And I was disappointed pretty much every time I saw Cook run the ball.  

It's possible to be disappointed in performance on particular plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

RE: the demise of King Henry.

I watched the Giants/Titans game a couple times before Monday Night.  I really think that he got nicked up in the Giants game.  He looked mortal during the 2nd half of that game.  Maybe he’s hit the wall or something but I really think it’s due to an injury at this point.  Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'll try it this way.  I was disappointed when Gilliam tried backpeddaling to catch Allen's bomb.  I was disappointed when Milano dropped the second interception.  And I was disappointed pretty much every time I saw Cook run the ball.  

It's possible to be disappointed in performance on particular plays. 

Ok, I mean when you say it like that it kinda sounds disappointment in general, like when things don't go the way you wanted or a way making you feel good/etc.

I mean I'm "disappointed" that for a few years now I have to always take a Viagra if play time comes, but I feel like you know that's a bit different.

He ran 3 times total until 4qt of Titans game when running down clock and he ran against stacked D expecting the run.  Also back up OL in front of him. Yet he still got a 20 yard run in one of those carries. 

Were you also disappointed in the 20 yard run he got in that situation?

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Ok, I mean when you say it like that it kinda sounds disappointment in general, like when things don't go the way you wanted or a way making you feel good/etc.

Were you also disappointed in the 20 yard run he got in that situation?

Any running back in the league would have gotten those yards.   All he did was catch the ball and run.  He didn't fake once, he didn't have a tackle to break.  Just run.  Every running back has plays like that, and it's nice for your team when you get them, but they don't tell you anything about whether the guy is a quality running back.    

The only way you could be disappointed in a play like that would be if he just fell down, or let go of the ball.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.