A Few Thoughts About the Titans Game, in no particular order

Virgil

What they were doing with Diggs reminded me a lot of what Brady used to do.  Come up to the line and see a DB playing 10 yards off? Doesn't matter what the called play was, just throw it out there and let the WR pick up easy free yards and make it a 2nd and 2 or pick up the first down.

But what were the Titans supposed to do? Press Diggs at the line with THOSE CBs they had??  They were in a no win situation and the Bills took full advantage.

In regards to Edmunds...there is a reason the Bills lead the NFL in pass defense over the past several years and it is in large part due to Edmunds and what he is able to take away and how he can compress passing windows in the middle of the field.

Dan Orlovsky said something tat really resonated with me on the broadcast. He said something like "The Bills make you earn every yard you get in the passing game, there is no such thing as an easy gain versus them. Even on short 4 or 5 yard completions, you have to execute at a very high level to complete the pass and it has to be a good throw, there is little room for error against them."  

And whether we want to admit it or not, Edmunds is a large reason for that. You'll see when he gets a contract in UFA...it will be a LOT higher than what people expect.  His value around the NFL for that ability alone is very vey high, especially from teams that struggle with that. Someone is going to think they are Tremaine Edmunds away from being one of the best pass defenses in he NFL even tho they might only be in the middle of the pack or the bottom third right now.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Great job as always. It was almost another perfect game. Hopefully we get healthy quickly.

The Ravens Fish write up was an added bonus! The Dolphins were gifted quite a few long plays on blown or terrible coverage. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

As for Cook, he may have broken off one good run in the 4th against back-ups, but he was still a non-factor in the game and looked kind of slow to me.

To me Cook always seems like he's playing while...cooked.   He just seems to be moving in slow motion somehow.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Tua - I had the pleasure of being at the Ravens/Dolphins game on Sunday, which was a perfect scouting opportunity for the Bills next two opponents.  I have to say, if the Bills can just tackle and keep one safety deep, the Dolphins are the not the team their score indicated they are.  I'm not trying to be cocky or predict a win (you know that goes with me), but watching each teams defense was a head scratcher to me.  Both teams played Cover 1, or had both safeties within 10 yards of the LOS.  Both of the Hills TD's at the end were on busted coverage because, why cover the fastest player on the field?  Almost all of Tua's passes were WR screens, quick outs, or slants.  There were so many balls that hung up in the air that the Ravens almost picked off.  The Dolphins seem to rely on Waddle and Hill breaking tackles and busting loose downfield.  While being down Jackson and Tre is scary, our LB's and Safeties being able to cover their zone's are probably the most important gameplan we can implement.  If nothing else, seeing Tua's arm in person really made me appreciate Josh.

Great write up as usual!

Pertaining to #10, I'm hoping we are only missing Jordan Phillips for this game.  I think the big guy's hammy is going to take a bit of time to heal.  I think Jackson will be ready to go.  The Phins are going to have to use the quick passing game because I think the Bills defensive line is going to be in the back field early and often.  If the Bills' D can tackle Hill and Waddle soundly this game should go the same way the first two went with the Bills' offense slowly pulling away to a big 2nd half lead.  Frazier and McDermott are not going to allow Hill and Waddle to get behind the defense repeatedly, and inexplicably, like the Ravens did.

This Bills offense is amazing to watch, but it is the defense that I'm excited to see this week.  You know anytime the defense gets a stop on downs or turnover Josh and the offense is going to take the ball down the field and extend the lead.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Tua - I had the pleasure of being at the Ravens/Dolphins game on Sunday, which was a perfect scouting opportunity for the Bills next two opponents.  I have to say, if the Bills can just tackle and keep one safety deep, the Dolphins are the not the team their score indicated they are.  I'm not trying to be cocky or predict a win (you know that goes with me), but watching each teams defense was a head scratcher to me.  Both teams played Cover 1, or had both safeties within 10 yards of the LOS.  Both of the Hills TD's at the end were on busted coverage because, why cover the fastest player on the field?  Almost all of Tua's passes were WR screens, quick outs, or slants.  There were so many balls that hung up in the air that the Ravens almost picked off.  The Dolphins seem to rely on Waddle and Hill breaking tackles and busting loose downfield.  While being down Jackson and Tre is scary, our LB's and Safeties being able to cover their zone's are probably the most important gameplan we can implement.  If nothing else, seeing Tua's arm in person really made me appreciate Josh.

Go Bills!

If I am Frazier, that's the gameplan that I'm cooking up. Trust Milano, Edmunds, Poyer and Hyde to disciplined in their zones. Be prepared to take a few long Hill or Waddle sprints as the price of doing business, don't panic and stay disciplined. Let Tua make the mistakes we know he is capable of.

P.S. Wait, you were in Baltimore Sunday and then hoofed it up to Buffalo for Monday night? Respect/.

• Like (+1) 3

My M.O. against the Fish is to lay the wood to Tua early and often. Get him queasy and rattled....if not take him out.

I never expected the first 2 games to be blowouts, but this one, that's what I am hoping for. Our Dline should be able to wreak havoc against that Oline.

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

While being down Jackson and Tre is scary, our LB's and Safeties being able to cover their zone's are probably the most important gameplan we can implement.

Fins vs. Bills VERY over weighted case where D scheme, D coach decisions, will be the difference. Our #2's in secondary can be supported by scheme to hold them down. Our cover LBs will be key. Every BB fan and player knows what Hill YAC looks like, cough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Virgil -

Thanks for posting these.  They're great.   I haven't finished this one, because I got stuck on #1.  

I didn't think of Henry's lack of success being attributable to his finally hitting the wall - which makes me sad for him, because he has been absolutely magnificent for several years, but I think you may be right.  I'd like to think the Bills had the perfect defense, and they did play the run really well. 

What I notice about Henry was that everyone was taking him down at the knees and below.   Poyer early on, I think the time Miller got him in the backfield, Elam, and one or two other guys.   If they got close to him, they went low and did a good job wrapping up his legs.  Henry went down almost immediately when that happened.  He'd get the yard or two from falling forward, but he didn't break any of those tackles.  I think in years past, he'd stay upright, pull his legs out of the tackle and keep going.  

He definitely didn't look like the guy we've seen previously. 

• Like (+1) 3

On Diggs's long TD, I was watching the receiving on the near side of the field (for me), and the guy next to me said, "He's got him!" just as Josh was beginning to throw.  I looked up and saw Diggs beyond his defender.   I remember thinking, "this is a touchdown," because I knew Allen would hit him and I knew Diggs would catch.  Then, with the ball in the air, I thought, "Is it too long?"  Then Diggs had what looked like just two steps that amount to an extra speed burst - it looked like he turned on the afterburners to make up a little ground, then turned them off again and just settled into getting under the ball and finding a comfortable way to catch it.  The two of them together already are masters at what they do, and they have several more seasons to do it.   It's really special.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with your notes on Shakir and Cook.  I assume that both struggle with the fact that others on the team have played so long with Josh that they know both how to stick with the script when they need to or go off script.  The latter seems to happen frequently with JA and it is one of the best things about him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.