The Bills are (literally) changing how defense is played (VIDEO)

MJS

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is what McDermott and Frazier have wanted: getting pressure with only 4. That's why Beane has been so heavily investing on the line in both the draft and free agency, because it is such a weapon if you can get that organic pressure.

Agreed. Much harder to do than it seems and only a few select teams have been able to do it consistently.  

That's why many of us wanted Von last year. We missed a SB last season. Glad Beane is about as close to all in as he can be this year. Im a broken record at time. The only two moves Beane/McD have made I dont agree with this season are not bringing back Jerry and choosing Sweeney over Howard.  Many of us wanted a veteran CB, but judging how Benford has played they must have figured out early they had a late round gem.

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I keep saying this, but people are going to be shocked at the contract Edmunds gets from another team as a UFA.  He is exactly what most teams are DYING to find right now...a player that can compress windows in the middle of the field and make throws much more difficult than they normally should be with his size, wingspan, and ability to drop deep. Bills fans crying about his ability against the run, but other teams are watching themselves get shredded in the passing game week in and week out and could care less about stopping the run at this point.

Luckily, fans don’t make the decisions, this team would be total crap if the fans got to choose how things are done at OBD. 

8 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Denver did. Seattle did not. We run the same Tampa 2 defense that Seattle was running at that time.

Hmm. Well I am not an expert at this. In the video he explained that Seattle used a lot of 1 high safety looks and started dominating, and the rest of the NFL kind of followed. Now the NFL is going back to two high safeties.

Just now, MJS said:

Hmm. Well I am not an expert at this. In the video he explained that Seattle used a lot of 1 high safety looks and started dominating, and the rest of the NFL kind of followed. Now the NFL is going back to two high safeties.

Right, they were playing a ton of Cover 3 - still only rushing 4 though.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I keep saying this, but people are going to be shocked at the contract Edmunds gets from another team as a UFA.  He is exactly what most teams are DYING to find right now...a player that can compress windows in the middle of the field and make throws much more difficult than they normally should be with his size, wingspan, and ability to drop deep. Bills fans crying about his ability against the run, but other teams are watching themselves get shredded in the passing game week in and week out and could care less about stopping the run at this point.

You just opened my mind regarding Edmunds. I'm fairly football savvy and have been down on him for a few years, but your perspective has me reconsidering. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

I think what the bills are doing is being a great example of how the front four and the back seven complement each other.

You need a front four that can hurry the quarterback's decision making without help from a blitz.

You need a back seven disciplined and talented enough to make a quarterback delay as long as possible.

The Bills have both of those components right now and we're killing offenses because of it.

The only game plan I see to counter it well would be a strong run game with short passes to very explosive receivers.

That's why I'm so curious to see how the Dolphins hold up. I think the whole game may hinge on their O line giving Tua enough time to hit Hill and Waddle over and over again hoping they break something big. He can't make any mistakes either.

Edited by Norwoods Foot
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norwoods Foot said:

You just opened my mind regarding Edmunds. I'm fairly football savvy and have been down on him for a few years, but your perspective has me reconsidering. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

I think what the bills are doing is being a great example of how the front four and the back seven complement each other.

You need a front four that can hurry the quarterback's decision making without help from a blitz.

You need a back seven disciplined and talented enough to make a quarterback delay as long as possible.

The Bills have both of those components right now and we're killing offenses because of it.

The only game plan I see to counter it well would be a strong run game with short passes to very explosive receivers.

That's why I'm so curious to see how the Dolphins hold up. I think the whole game may hinge on their O line giving Tua enough time to hit Hill and Waddle over and over again hoping they break something big. He can't make any mistakes either.

Let's also hope that the injuries to the defense don't become too much to overcome. If the Dolphins beat the Bills, injuries will have played a big factor in that I think.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No doubt they are playing very well with better pass rush. I think even the most ardent fans would agree last years #1 defense was a mirage.  

This year's looks like the real deal. 

Edmunds is doing exaclty what us doubters hoped for. He is playing at a high level in a contract year. Good for him. If he keeps it up then go ahead and extend him. If the price is too steep longvterm then they can still tag him. 

Edmunds has been playing well for a few years now. He's been doing exactly what the coaching staff wants from that position. Doubters be damned. If you watch the game waiting for him to make a mistake, you'll find it. Every player makes mistakes out there, even Josh. Just enjoy this defense as a whole, even if you don't see how valuable he is to what we do out there.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Edmunds has been playing well for a few years now. He's been doing exactly what the coaching staff wants from that position. Doubters be damned. If you watch the game waiting for him to make a mistake, you'll find it. Every player makes mistakes out there, even Josh. Just enjoy this defense as a whole, even if you don't see how valuable he is to what we do out there.

If he was they would have extended him already. 

I'm done arguing about the past and I vowed weeks ago to just evaluate his play this year.  That's what I'm doing. He is playing well. On to Miami

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No doubt they are playing very well with better pass rush. I think even the most ardent fans would agree last years #1 defense was a mirage.  

This year's looks like the real deal. 

Edmunds is doing exaclty what us doubters hoped for. He is playing at a high level in a contract year. Good for him. If he keeps it up then go ahead and extend him. If the price is too steep longvterm then they can still tag him. 

This is a fascinating start to the NFL season.  I don't think you could script a more challenging start.  Each of the first seven that get played stresses a different style of the defense

1. Rams -- On Road with all the world watching.  Cupp and the emotional hangovers of the superbowl won and one not attained.

2. Titans -- MNF.  Run defense with one of the best smash mouth type teams

3. Fins -- On Road with likely the two most challenging WRs to cover

4. Baltimore -- On Road against a run heavy RPO team and a QB that can throw or run 80 yards.

5. Steelers -- Home against a defense first team.  Pass rush diminished without Watt, but still dangerous

6 Chiefs -- On Road,  again 4th time in 6 games, national window.  Scene of the crime and the devil himself (the game everyone will be hyping.  Hell we will probably finally get Romo)

7. GB -- SNF. Home after bye and a 4 time MVP high on life.

Come out of this gauntlet with a 5-2, 6-1 record and the rest of the season looks so much easier.  This team will have been tested like few others and it will just be Halloween.

Edited by wjag

36 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He certainly gets scrutinized. It had to be him who hurt Dane Jackson too, didn't it? Any other player and it just would have been an unfortunate accident. Since Edmunds did it lots of fans were really trashing him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.