The Bills are (literally) changing how defense is played (VIDEO)

MJS

I found this video on YouTube and he really does a great job of illustrating how the Bills defense is played and how insanely well coached the unit is. This is just a breakdown of week 1 against the rams, but really shows how disciplined and fundamentally sound the defense it. It also helped me to gain more appreciation for how well coached this team is. The defensive calls were perfect, countering everything the Rams wanted to do and really showed they were one step ahead of them at every turn. We saw this against the Titans too.

I also gained a lot of respect for Tremaine Edmunds from watching this video. He is asked to do a lot and is very effective in coverage. He had a good game week 2 as well, with a sack, 2 tackles for loss, a QB hit, and a deflected pass that was intercepted by Poyer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Upshot:  Players are very well coached and know the nuances of the play, esp pre-snap, the players are attuned not just to their assignments but to the entire flow of the play.  Buffalo's emphasis on a dominant front four changed the entire defensive dynamic versus LA.  

Continuity, coaching and smart players.

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Just watched the video. None of it is really changing how the NFL plays defense. Fairly typical stuff. Bills are just doing it at a very high level. Executing it nearly perfectly.

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Yeah, nothing ground breaking here. We are one of the more simplistic teams defensively. We just execute at a very high level.

Yeah, I think he titled his video that just to illustrate the current trend in the NFL of going back to the two-high safeties and to blitz less. The Bills took that to an extreme in week 1 by blitzing zero times. Anyone know how much we blitzed week 2?

They've been performing at peak efficiency last two weeks, its been lights out. 

All the continuity we've had the last few years plays a huge part in that. You also have to hope the combination of "13 seconds" and not being given a head coaching opportunity last year has really lit a fire under Frazier to not be the reason the Bills are blowing dramatic performances from Josh and the offense. 

Edited by Yobogoya!

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, I think he titled his video that just to illustrate the current trend in the NFL of going back to the two-high safeties and to blitz less. The Bills took that to an extreme in week 1 by blitzing zero times. Anyone know how much we blitzed week 2?

The blitz thing isn't by design. Every defensive coordinator wants to be able to just rush 4 an drop everyone else. The reason we didn't blitz was because we didn't have to. That's why you saw us blitzing more vs the Titans because we weren't hitting home just rushing 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

The blitz thing isn't by design. Every defensive coordinator wants to be able to just rush 4 an drop everyone else. The reason we didn't blitz was because we didn't have to. That's why you saw us blitzing more vs the Titans because we weren't hitting home just rushing 4.

Oh, it absolutely is by design. We will also blitz zero times when we face Patrick Mahomes, I'd be willing to wager. That's the game plan against good QB's who routinely destroy the blitz, and Stafford is in that category as an experienced, good QB.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I found this video on YouTube and he really does a great job of illustrating how the Bills defense is played and how insanely well coached the unit is. This is just a breakdown of week 1 against the rams, but really shows how disciplined and fundamentally sound the defense it. It also helped me to gain more appreciation for how well coached this team is. The defensive calls were perfect, countering everything the Rams wanted to do and really showed they were one step ahead of them at every turn. We saw this against the Titans too.

I also gained a lot of respect for Tremaine Edmunds from watching this video. He is asked to do a lot and is very effective in coverage. He had a good game week 2 as well, with a sack, 2 tackles for loss, a QB hit, and a deflected pass that was intercepted by Poyer.

I keep saying this, but people are going to be shocked at the contract Edmunds gets from another team as a UFA.  He is exactly what most teams are DYING to find right now...a player that can compress windows in the middle of the field and make throws much more difficult than they normally should be with his size, wingspan, and ability to drop deep. Bills fans crying about his ability against the run, but other teams are watching themselves get shredded in the passing game week in and week out and could care less about stopping the run at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Just watched the video. None of it is really changing how the NFL plays defense. Fairly typical stuff. Bills are just doing it at a very high level. Executing it nearly perfectly.

Yes, that is the problem...the Bills are so well coached on D and do execute it so well that even if you know exactly what they are going to do it STILL is very hard to actually beat it. Like Orlovsky said Monday night... "Nothing is easy against the Bills. Most times teams will give you some easy throws at times. Even 4 and 5 yard completions against the Bills are hard and they make you work for every yard you get."

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Yeah, nothing ground breaking here. We are one of the more simplistic teams defensively. We just execute at a very high level.

Similar to what Kelly said of the K-Gun offense...they only had like 15 plays, but they ran a lot of window dressing to make them look different out of different groupings, motions, etc, and then just executed them at a level so high it was nearly unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

No doubt they are playing very well with better pass rush. I think even the most ardent fans would agree last years #1 defense was a mirage.  

This year's looks like the real deal. 

Edmunds is doing exaclty what us doubters hoped for. He is playing at a high level in a contract year. Good for him. If he keeps it up then go ahead and extend him. If the price is too steep longvterm then they can still tag him. 

• Agree 2

Amazing how little is understood by most fans. I get the disconnect between all of these rebrands of terms, and the philosophical aspects of offense. There are basically only 3 offenses, which is hard to understand. There are only so many effective NFL defenses, too. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No doubt they are playing very well with better pass rush. I think even the most ardent fans would agree last years #1 defense was a mirage.  

This year's looks like the real deal. 

Edmunds is doing exaclty what us doubters hoped for. He is playing at a high level in a contract year. Good for him. If he keeps it up then go ahead and extend him. If the price is too steep longvterm then they can still tag him. 

This is what McDermott and Frazier have wanted: getting pressure with only 4. That's why Beane has been so heavily investing on the line in both the draft and free agency, because it is such a weapon if you can get that organic pressure.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is what McDermott and Frazier have wanted: getting pressure with only 4. That's why Beane has been so heavily investing on the line in both the draft and free agency, because it is such a weapon if you can get that organic pressure.

Pretty much every “dominant” defense that goes to the Super Bowl has followed this recipe. Denver, Seattle, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.