How in the world do you stop this offense?

JerseyBills

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

If you don't run against 2 man then you're a terrible OC - you have a 5 man box!

Not if you have Josh Allen on your team. Virtually any run is a wasted play 😂

The rules are different with him.

Edited by Big Turk

Stunts and blitzes. Hurry Tua into errant throws. Get him rattled.

Usually not a huge fan of too much blitzing, but in this case pressure Tua early, and press receivers hard at the LOS.  Of course the best defense is a good offense.. Let Josh run wild and run up the score at his home away from home in Miami.

If we are being serious to stop the Bills it is something like this:

Zone/Man coverage mix rushing 4-5 tops and you need the edge rushes to press the side of the pocket so Allen can't escape while having a force up front to move the pocket into him. Like the Rams tried to do you need to force him to chunk has way downfield without blitzing. You also have to have the personnel to do all of this. BUT if you can it can frustrate Josh sometimes where it throws him off enough. The Jags game was a disaster because he didn't have time and the Jags pass rush ate our o line so he was to the point of rushing a lot of throws and plays. Steelers game was similar in this regard although I think the Bills lack of points stemmed more from playing calling and mistakes by everyone minus Josh. If you can do that you and your defense can get a turnover or two while the Bills offense spins its wheels you can pull a win. The Jags/Steelers games last years are the best examples of this as the Pats loss was weather, Bucs Allen was the reason they almost won, and Colts basically was a mix of some bad luck and ill timed turnovers that put the game out of reach which happens to every team once a year.

Regardless Allen's ability to rush makes him really difficult to defend and if he starts to see this super Josh will start running. Josh has seemed far more patient and even knell this year as the Rams game showed where he is now more then willing to chunk the ball downfield.

Elite QB's like Allen, Mahomes, Brady etc.. the best way to get them slowed down is with pressure that does not give them anytime. That typically is a 4-5 man rush ala what the Giants did the SB while mixing zone and man on their favorite targets. 

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

double team Diggs

Double Diggs + stop long plays.
make Josh 13+ plays slow, methodical / run plays. hope a mistake happens or impatience sets in. Don’t let him roll right. This has worked before. It’s not a super plan but it’s all a D can do. 

Edited by Since1981

3 hours ago, Tanoros said:

But can a defense take away the deep/intermediate passes and the short passes at the same time? It’s very hard to do both of those, it’s generally one or the other or man coverage. 

The Chiefs did it in the AFCCG in 2020.  I know things are different now and there are some other variables.....But I am absolutely not going to claim that the Bills are unstoppable.  Someone is going to beat us this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

The Chiefs did it in the AFCCG in 2020.  I know things are different now and there are some other variables.....But I am absolutely not going to claim that the Bills are unstoppable.  Someone is going to beat us this year.

Definitely some different variables from 2020 to now, the biggest being Josh’s overall consistent play. 

As far as this years team loosing, my guess is they lose on a game when making mistakes and can’t overcome them or due to injuries. I don’t expect to see a Jacksonville type game out of this years team, they just seem to have a different, more locked in vibe going. 

Pray you can get pressure with your front 4 while doing a two high safety zone look. Force Josh to beat you with shorter throws and running the ball. That’s about all you can do is hope your front 4 are good enough.

5 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

The Bills WR corps entered that game with everyone but Diggs hurt and then Diggs got hurt early in the game. Not really a fair assessment of the Bills offense give the mass injuries to the WR position.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Pray you can get pressure with your front 4 while doing a two high safety zone look. Force Josh to beat you with shorter throws and running the ball. That’s about all you can do is hope your front 4 are good enough.

The Bills WR corps entered that game with everyone but Diggs hurt and then Diggs got hurt early in the game. Not really a fair assessment of the Bills offense give the mass injuries to the WR position.

I mean, judging by the responses, I guess this question was meant more as a joke than to be taken seriously, so that’s my mistake. 

Bills are unbeatable, 20-0 here we come!

7 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Well...the Chiefs also committed illegal contact pretty much every play and didn't get called for it much. Kudos to them tho...the refs let them play and they took advantage of it while we did not.

12 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It was 10 - 10 at halftime though and the Rams were getting the ball back after the half. I think if you are going toe to toe with the Bills, that's where you need to be. It wasn't a runaway at that point.

The problem for the Rams was they came out of the half and had a 3 and out, then the Bills scored on their drive. Then they had a 6 play drive that ended in a punt. Then the Bills scored again and just like that it's 24 -10 and the games getting away from them. Their offense just couldn't keep up. 

You argue that's the right approach but whether another team can keep up with he Bills and Allen, is the question.

The Titans also went 3 and out on their first drive out of halftime. Also, like the Rams they scored zero points in the second half.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.