How in the world do you stop this offense?

JerseyBills

I think it's same way the Bills would stop the Chiefs. Cover 2 shell, make the Bills run or dink and dunk down the field. Get pressure from 4, in the Bills case I think that's up the gut. 

If a team can do that, it will shorten the game and eat up the clock. This allows the game to stay close, if the other teams offense can keep up. It also gives more options to the other teams offense and doesn't force them in to the Bills defensivee strength, pass defending. 

55 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That's what the Rams tried to do, and Josh just got the ball out really quickly to short to medium targets to negate the rush. 

This was the most impressive (and scariest to every other team) thing about W1.  The Rams' defense did not play poorly and Josh still carved them up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, eball said:

This was the most impressive (and scariest to every other team) thing about W1.  The Rams' defense did not play poorly and Josh still carved them up.

It was 10 - 10 at halftime though and the Rams were getting the ball back after the half. I think if you are going toe to toe with the Bills, that's where you need to be. It wasn't a runaway at that point.

The problem for the Rams was they came out of the half and had a 3 and out, then the Bills scored on their drive. Then they had a 6 play drive that ended in a punt. Then the Bills scored again and just like that it's 24 -10 and the games getting away from them. Their offense just couldn't keep up. 

You argue that's the right approach but whether another team can keep up with he Bills and Allen, is the question.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Couldn't agree more, but the Titans were selling out for the run most of the night. Even after Josh kept the death by 1000 cuts approach goin, they still acted like we had Jim Brown in his prime in our backfield

Maybe they figured they couldn't stop us passing anyway so they at least wanted to put us in longer down and distances if we ran the ball on early downs?

2 minutes ago, eball said:

...because of a McKenzie bobble, one bad Josh throw, and a fumble.  Josh was dealing, even in the 1st half.

Did I say anywhere Josh wasn't dealing? I simply stated it was 10 -10 at halftime, if you are an opposing team, that's where you want to be if you have any shot at beating the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

If the Bills do not demonstrate that they can run the ball, all season long , it will come back to bite them in the late season & playoffs, ya can’t be a one dimensional team against the good teams, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

The Bills aren't built like the Browns or Titans, who need the running game to carry them for 4 Quarters.  If you are looking for a 20-25 carry, 100 yard game from an RB on this roster, you are probably going to be disappointed all season.  That's just not us.

All we need from the running game is the ability to gain 4-5 yards when the defense shows light boxes and plays heavy coverage.  Doesn't matter if that comes from Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, James Cook or from Josh Allen.  So far, I would say that Singletary has been very effective in doing exactly that.  6.0 YPC against the Rams.  5.4 YPC against the Titans.

The Rams came out with plans to stop the deep passing game.  So we picked down the field underneath, and broke off some nice runs with Singletary/Allen.  The Titans seemed geared to stop Allen from breaking the pocket, so we hit them downfield.  

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills aren't built like the Browns or Titans, who need the running game to carry them for 4 Quarters.  If you are looking for a 20-25 carry, 100 yard game from an RB on this roster, you are probably going to be disappointed all season.  That's just not us.

All we need from the running game is the ability to gain 4-5 yards when the defense shows light boxes and plays heavy coverage.  Doesn't matter if that comes from Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, James Cook or from Josh Allen.  So far, I would say that Singletary has been very effective in doing exactly that.  6.0 YPC against the Rams.  5.4 YPC against the Titans.

Which is fine.  The Patriots and Brady won a couple Super Bowls using the pass (short quick throws) as their running game.  

Grits blitzes.

8 man rushes the entire 1st qrtr and hit Allen on every single down.

If he's still standing in the 2nd qrtr keep running it but dropping the occasional zone dawg in there to see if you can steal a turnover.

Complement this with heavy packages on offense to run both the ball and the clock and with just enough PA sprinkled in to keep the 'backers honest.

If Allen finishes the game, you probably lose, but at least you have a punchers chance to break him.

Oh, and sacrifice goats in the locker room both pregame and at halftime.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hypothetically,  if you were a fan of another team, going against our boys, what in the world do you do on defense to stop the Bills?

I mean they were tough last year but wow , they are operating on a different level. 

We can go 5 wide to a heavy set in a matter of a play and destroy you. With a running game that's effective as well.

Man/zone, a spy, it doesn't Matter..

A DCs worse nightmare. 

Just curious about some opinions on What would we be saying in the lead up to a game against Allen and this O? Because I have none.  I have no clue how you stop this O, or slow them down for lack of a better term.

Go Bills!

I saw someone say that “only the Bills can stop the Bills” and I do think that’s true.  Allen is getting to the point where he’s combating everything a defense does.  I hate to say it but he’s starting to get the Mahomes treatment…as well as similar results:

- Drop 7 or 8 in coverage - run the ball versus a light box

- Rush the passer - dump the ball off quickly 

- Cover 2 protecting deep - dink and dunk to move the secondary up.

- blitz - good luck 

I think unforced errors is what can hurt the offense - INT’s, fumbled, missed blocks etc.

With that being said I don’t think they are invincible…but for a team to beat them they will either need to score points or the Bills will really have to turn the ball over.  

13 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Rams came out with plans to stop the deep passing game.  So we picked down the field underneath, and broke off some nice runs with Singletary/Allen.  The Titans seemed geared to stop Allen from breaking the pocket, so we hit them downfield.  

We all know we are a pass first offense, but, we need to show we can run the ball when we want to, not even every game but we must show that we can, like I said, being one dimensional as an offense is not ideal, gotta keep defenses honest, that’s a must. I’m NOT an four yards in a pile of dirt guy, but ya gotta keep your opponents guessing, 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

Even the best quarterbacks in NFL history have the occasional bad game.  And even the best offenses have days where they have trouble getting in sync.  That's pretty much what you need to hope for, because I'm not sure a scheme alone is enough to stop them for an entire game.

At this point, Josh Allen has shown success against every kind of defense.  Man, Zone, Cover 0-1-2-3.  He can beat you with the short game.  He can beat you over the top.  Even when you do everything right, he can beat you with his legs.  And with more experience, he is becoming tougher and tougher to fool with exotic looks and trickery.

Like any great QB at his peak, the best way to beat Allen is to beat the guys around him.  Specifically the O-Line.  Find ways to get pressure with only 4 guys, leaving 7 in the secondary, and that's always a recipe for success.  If you go back to last year, the common theme in our bad offensive games (Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, New England) was a breakdown in the offensive line.  Each of those games saw terrible pass blocking, and an inability to generate any push in the run game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If someone figures it out, Bill Belichick wants to know as well...the greatest defensive mind in NFL history hasn't figured it out either, and he was the one who drew up the plan to slow down the Bills in the first Super Bowl when the K-Gun no huddle offense took the NFL by storm.

He's got nothing for Allen. Probably why he went to visit him after their wildcard game...as a man with deep respect and knowledge of the NFL game all the way back to it's beginning he probably knows as well as anyone what Allen could become.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Couldn't agree more, but the Titans were selling out for the run most of the night. Even after Josh kept the death by 1000 cuts approach goin, they still acted like we had Jim Brown in his prime in our backfield

I think the with this offense, you chose one thing to contain, and pray maybe the others are off.  The fact that Allen can make any throw anywhere on the field with reasonable accuracy, even on the move, makes them nearly impossible stop.  Reminds me of the Chiefs a few years back, Kelce, Hill, that RB i can recall his name... like to much speed, too many ways, with a QB who is a damn Wizard...

and I think Allen is better.

I still think the most effective way to stop Allen is sit in cover 3 shells or combo coverage. Teams with athletic MLB can cause problems, if you have an athletic spy and play the lane game in pass rush you almost force Allen to run towards the middle of the field. I don't think you can effectively beat the offense, but making everything a play in front of you defense would "slow it down". As Allen's become more willing to check down and take what's given to him it's still going to be pick your poison death by a thousand cuts or try to blitz and hope you're not beat over the top once he gets away from the pressure.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.