How in the world do you stop this offense?

JerseyBills

I don't think this offense can be held under 30 points by anybody.  We can turn the ball over and get ourselves behind the schedule with penalties, but that's just us stopping ourselves.  

I mean, our defense is arguably the best in the league.  Suppose Tre was back and everybody was at full health.  I'd fully expect our offense to consistently beat our defense if they played against one another for real.  That's just how the NFL is these days -- it favors the offense.

40 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I'm not sold on the running game being effective just yet. The Titans sold out to stop the run which I thought was odd given their secondary wasn't exactly all pro. The narrative has changed this year to it seems to only team to stop the Bills is the Bills

If the Bills do not demonstrate that they can run the ball, all season long , it will come back to bite them in the late season & playoffs, ya can’t be a one dimensional team against the good teams, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Make the Bills run the ball.  Easier said than done but they haven't proven they can switch up and run the ball consistently.  

They pretty much abandoned it against the Titans because the pass game was clicking....but I would be concerned if a D-Coord actually finds a way to take away the passing attack. Does anyone feel comfortable that the Bills can ground and pound it for a win?

No matter how the season plays out I would expect Beane to focus on the OL in the upcoming draft. This is still one area of the team that can be upgraded. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

If the Bills do not demonstrate that they can run the ball, all season long , it will come back to bite them in the late season & playoffs, ya can’t be a one dimensional team against the good teams, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I get why they went away from the run against the Titans, which just drives Vrabel's nickname home even further as he painfully found out. I think this week with no Donald or Simmons to worry about, they'll open up the run game more and it'll probably be more productive. I just hope Singletary gets the majority of the touches

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep the players who have wrecked games for us have mainly been interior penetrators. Even that Jags game where it was Josh Allen they had him rushing from the 3T in some nascar packages. 

this is what i am thinking. use LB's against our interion OL who are not the skillset to stop aggressive LB's who can move and hustle.

i will try to get some time to put some info in this post if i think about it. but i wouldn't care about the run game, i would not care about josh running the ball right now. i'd sell out in pass coverage and if josh runs then he runs - i wasn't going to stop him anyway. i'll just use that LB to put licks on him every time i can.

• Agree 2

I don't think you can go into a game thinking you are going to stop the Bills, with that said...

I'd go almost all zone. No partial man/zone combos.  MAYBE give the Bills 1-2 looks per quarter of man to keep them honest, but base I'm going to play zone coverage (should help SLIGHTLY with keeping Allen from scrambing for big gains)

I'm going to go with exotic rushes. Very few full blitzes, but I want to bring some pressure from all over.  Every other play I'm going to bring a Safety or even a Corner blitz from someplace. I want pressure coming from all angles just to keep the Bills guessing.  Blitz a corner from outside the hash marks, have an end that play drop into a shallow zone coverage.  Maybe have some plays where I only have 2 DL on the field, but then overload with pressure from LB/DBs all from one side of the field on those plays.

Again, you aren't going to stop the Bills, but I want to do enough to possibly cause some turnovers.

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You have to play press coverage with your corners, and pray your safeties can stop anything over the top. Then, let your interior linemen stop the Bills totally average running game. What Josh has learned, and I’ll never figure out why more teams don’t, is that as soon as he sees soft coverage he throws to the outside for an easy five to seven yards. 

I agree with this.

Over the last year or so, when you watch the Bills big plays a lot of them are when the Safeties are SUPPOSED to play deep but they often bite on shorter routes, and when they get out of position that opens the medium-long routes up for the Bills.  

I'd want to make sure my DB's who are in zone are discipline, don't try to be a hero and make sure everyone maintains their zone.

• Agree 1

Well, you could always forfeit the game!

Ok, serious question then. 

First, I think that you need to bite the bullet and double cover Diggs. I love Gabe Davis, and I want him back soon, but there is a severe drop off between Diggs and him. I see a big drop off between Diggs and the rest of a receiving threats (Davis, McKenzie, Knox, Crowder). The most significant loss on offense was Beasley as a zone beater, so if you are playing tight, disciplined zone coverage you can at least contain them and hope for a mistake.

Next, I'd do my best to stunt, overload and double gap on the D-line, trying to overwhelm Saffold, Bates and Brown who are all good but not world beaters. You have to generate quite pressure while cutting off escape routes.

Try to force third and short where the Bills seem to keep having problems. 

This is not easy. I do not foresee many games this year like the Steelers and Jaguars last year. But if I am trying to come up with something that's what I would try. Josh Allen is playing out of his mind right now, and while he does still sometimes have a dud, his short field accuracy has looked amazing and he is now willing to take the profit. I keep going back to all of those easy Diggs completions because the CB just played so far off him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.