How in the world do you stop this offense?

JerseyBills

Hypothetically,  if you were a fan of another team, going against our boys, what in the world do you do on defense to stop the Bills?

I mean they were tough last year but wow , they are operating on a different level. 

We can go 5 wide to a heavy set in a matter of a play and destroy you. With a running game that's effective as well.

Man/zone, a spy, it doesn't Matter..

A DCs worse nightmare. 

Just curious about some opinions on What would we be saying in the lead up to a game against Allen and this O? Because I have none.  I have no clue how you stop this O, or slow them down for lack of a better term.

Go Bills!

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I don't think there is anything you can do gameplan wise on a week to week basis. I think if I was a General Manager of an AFC East team my team building plan would be to try and have really elite players on the defensive interior. I know we have done a reasonable job neutralising Donald and Simmons the past two weeks but they have still had their wins in those games and I just think you know enough about the Bills team building now to know they prefer a smart, athletic finesse guy at center to prioritise pass pro and haven't been super aggressive in upgrading the guard spots. So I'd start there. I think in terms of the defensive backfield you have to have four coverage guys. Don't go drafting box safeties, draft rangey cover guys. 

I think that combination of prioritising the interior rather than the edge on the defensive line and coverage rather than run stuffing in the secondary is the way you have to build to give yourselves the best chance to cause the Bills offense problems. But ultimately you are gonna have to have very good to elite level players at all of those spots to actually succeed against them on any sort of consistent basis. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Our running game is reasonable but not the top of the NFL. It is probably still the weakest side of our offense, doubly so if you consider our offensive run blocking doesn’t seem to be top tier either. Best way would be try to close off the passing routes, rush Josh and force us to run the ball - but that’s easier said than done.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Hypothetically,  if you were a fan of another team, going against our boys, what in the world do you do on defense to stop the Bills?

I mean they were tough last year but wow , they are operating on a different level. 

We can go 5 wide to a heavy set in a matter of a play and destroy you. With a running game that's effective as well.

A DCs worse nightmare. 

Just curious about some opinions on What would we be saying in the lead up to a game against Allen and this O? Because I have none.  I have no clue how you stop this O, or slow them down for lack of a better term.

Go Bills!

I think it is tough. But if if were a DC, I would double team Diggs and force other receivers to beat them. 

Pressure up the gut has been Allen’s only real kryptonite. But only a few have been able to really wreck a game in recent memory. 
Heyward

simmons 

Chris Jones 

If you can pressure up the gut and put a spy on Allen or have the LE play qb contain and stop him from running to the right sidelines is probably the best defense. 
I can’t give any credit to the run game, we are still barely attempting runs. 

• Agree 6

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Pressure up the gut has been Allen’s only real kryptonite. But only a few have been able to really wreck a game in recent memory. 
Heyward

simmons 

Chris Jones 

Yep the players who have wrecked games for us have mainly been interior penetrators. Even that Jags game where it was Josh Allen they had him rushing from the 3T in some nascar packages. 

• Like (+1) 2

Same way you have to deal with KC and how they should deal with Miami.

Rush four drop 7 in deep shell. Hell rush 3 and drop 8 at times. Stunt your DL to try and create some pass rush lanes. Hope for a 1:1 pass blocking breakdown. Bills OL is still a work in progress. Saffold did not look good in pass blocking Monday but Brown looks improved to me.  Probably have the most success rushing up the middle. Get Saffold or Morse moving laterally and then have the DE loop back around. Or rush a guy in the gap between Bates and Morse to occupy Morse and then bull rush Saffold. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Our running game is reasonable but not the top of the NFL. It is probably still the weakest side of our offense, doubly so if you consider our offensive run blocking doesn’t seem to be top tier either. Best way would be try to close off the passing routes, rush Josh and force us to run the ball - but that’s easier said than done.

Agreed. But our #1 and most talented RB has 14 carries in 2 games at 4.8 ypc , because the pass game is that good. And play action has worked great. Add Josh in the run game mix as well, I feel we have a very respectable run game. Not calling it great, but definitely effective 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

A DCs worse nightmare. 

Go Bills!

Pray.

Curious to see how Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner does against the Bills. Jets fans think he can be the next Revis type of CB for them. As for stopping the Bills I think only the Bills can stop themselves. But remember the Jacksonville game last year so the Bills offense may have a bad game at some point.

Make the Bills run the ball.  Easier said than done but they haven't proven they can switch up and run the ball consistently.  

They pretty much abandoned it against the Titans because the pass game was clicking....but I would be concerned if a D-Coord actually finds a way to take away the passing attack. Does anyone feel comfortable that the Bills can ground and pound it for a win?

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
  • Agree 1

You have to play press coverage with your corners, and pray your safeties can stop anything over the top. Then, let your interior linemen stop the Bills totally average running game. What Josh has learned, and I’ll never figure out why more teams don’t, is that as soon as he sees soft coverage he throws to the outside for an easy five to seven yards. 

• Like (+1) 2

The only way to stop this offense is Allen not playing.  

They broke down some defensive strategies on NFL Network yesterday.  The Rams and Titans did their best, but Allen is uncontainable now that he can read any defense and throws accurately.  And of course he has that additional ability to buy time or escape the pocket when a play is covered.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.