Is Christian Benford better than Wallace?

John from Riverside

I know it’s early I’m re-watching Monday nights game and I got a Telya I’m really impressed with Christian Benford he looked really good out there and made some key tackles on the Titans running back

He also didn’t get beat in coverage much

Is he already better than Levi Wallace was

He is physically more talented than Levi, no question. So is Dane. So, obviously, is Kaiir. 

But equally that is why you have to give Levi just a ton of credit. What he was able to do here the last 3 and a half years as a starting cornerback in terms of contributing to our defense and doing his 1/11th despite that was really comendable. He made so few mental mistakes and played exactly the role the team wanted. 

Can Benford already make plays Levi couldn't make? Yes. But let's see how he holds up on the mental side of the game over the next few weeks before we declare him a definite upgrade. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Christian has a lot of promise as a rookie 

he is very consistent in his coverage but when he loses he loses bad,,, QBs haven’t been able to attack that yet 

levi rarely got beat deep deep … Christian can definitely improve but he needs to clean up consistency issues 

hes a rook but the upside is there and he can play multiple technique’s… Sean preaches not giving up the big play… which should eventually click … when he is able to mix press zone/man abilities , with his off technique he will be a better player Than Levi 

its just gonna take time and the ability to develop the skill he has …  mastering every technique is near impossible… ask Ramsey who cannot play off zone coverage with outside leverage to save his life 

but Sean is a DB whisperer 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know it’s early I’m re-watching Monday nights game and I got a Telya I’m really impressed with Christian Benford he looked really good out there and made some key tackles on the Titans running back

Yes.  I was never a Wallace fan.  He had a few good games but he was always picked apart way to often by average qbs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I will argue that both our rookies are better then Wallace with a way higher ceiling. Seriously Elam impressed the heck out of me that last game.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I've got one of those too.

14 minutes ago, Utah John said:

It's like a Tesla but it runs on your wife's talking, so it's really fast.

Might also be a covert attempt at a 'where's Christian Wade?!' thread. 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

My take is if the Bills had resigned Wallace as many wanted - most likely Wallace and Jackson would have been starting.

Benford (and Elam for that manner) are both way more gifted physically than Wallace and both can make plays Wallace simply couldn’t, but they also have a benefit of a pass rush in week 1 that was devastating and a team in week 2 that was limited at WR.  

I would most definitely take Benford and Elam (and Jackson) over Wallace - especially long term, but there will be games where they get tricked and Wallace would have done his job.  

To me Wallace is like Edmunds - he manages to do his job correctly almost 100% of the time, but that means many times he is not in the best place to make a huge play - he just make the steady correct play and move on to the next down.  I think they wanted more at CB and therefore you have Elam and Benford locked and loaded - long term improvements in place.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Christian has a lot of promise as a rookie 

he is very consistent in his coverage but when he loses he loses bad,,, QBs haven’t been able to attack that yet 

levi rarely got beat deep deep … Christian can definitely improve but he needs to clean up consistency issues 

hes a rook but the upside is there and he can play multiple technique’s… Sean preaches not giving up the big play… which should eventually click … when he is able to mix press zone/man abilities , with his off technique he will be a better player Than Levi 

its just gonna take time and the ability to develop the skill he has …  mastering every technique is near impossible… ask Ramsey who cannot play off zone coverage with outside leverage to save his life 

but Sean is a DB whisperer 

banford isn't fast, but he's faster than levi was.  he is HUGE and athletic tho.  he's legit like a stripped down milano/coverage linebacker body type out there, he'd be a nicely big safety essentially.  

a couple times he came up and tackled henry or another ball carrier and i saw his number and thought "did one of our lbs get hurt, are we playing w 3 without the announcers telling us?" and then sure enough, it's him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But equally that is why you have to give Levi just a ton of credit. What he was able to do here the last 3 and a half years as a starting cornerback in terms of contributing to our defense and doing his 1/11th despite that was really comendable. He made so few mental mistakes and played exactly the role the team wanted. 

I'm going from memory, so take this accordingly, but as I recall he made two critical mistakes: allowing the winning TD in overtime against the Bucs by busting the coverage, and blowing covering in the famous 13-seconds debacle. Maybe his mistakes were few, but they were fatal. It's probably best he moved on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

dude levi wallace sucks. theres a reason why beane didnt retain him. theres a reason steelers signed him for cheap.

i appreciate his hardwork here and putting his body on the line, but he got beat too many times to be resigned.

except for all the games where he didn’t get beat 

• Haha (+1) 1

Levi played in some really huge games including playoffs..  And he played at a high level despite the flack he got on here. He was always limited physically compared to others and his maximum potential. What he achieved here was really impressive. 
Benford has looked great but we’re talking two games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.