Does any part of you miss the losing?

Einstein

On 9/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, Einstein said:

Before you immediately jump to answer "NO", realize that this question does not mean that you don't like winning.

I enjoy the Bills recent success and I root for a championship trophy. I have a man crush on Josh Allen that my colleagues find odd. That being said, part of me misses the drama of Flutie v Johnson, Bledsoe v Losman, the Fitzpatrick upward trajectory followed by the downward trajectory, top 10 pick draft talk, checking the playoff tiebreakers to find a 1 in 1,000 chance of making the tournament, etc. I wonder if the large swings in outcomes of the past created a dopamine response in my brain.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps I am in a party of one?

I was very young during the Kelly years, as I’ve grew older and the team entered the drought I dreamed of the days I could be the one amongst my friends and family rooting for one of the top teams (grew up in Seahawk country). I love the Bills and will root for them no matter what, but we are exactly where I’ve always wanted to be (during season that is). 

It wasn't so much the losing, but the way they lost.  Some of those losses were brutal like the Dallas MNF game in 2007 when they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  It's one thing to get blown out by NE on SNF 56-10, but there were more absolutely unwatchable games (losing to Cleveland at home 6-3 when Derek Anderson completed 2 passes).  Or JP fumbling late in the 4th at NYJ which was returned for a TD to squander a come from behind victory.  

At one time on TBD, someone had and kept updating a thread that titled something "cathartic" which listed all of the horrible losses going back to the late 90s.  Really wish I could find that because it was comprehensive.    

No, I don't miss the losing primarily because during the RW years there was no hope.  Now, there is order in the front office, they have a QB, they are a playoff team, and whereas once I expected they'd lose in stunning fashion now I expect to win.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, Einstein said:

Before you immediately jump to answer "NO", realize that this question does not mean that you don't like winning.

I enjoy the Bills recent success and I root for a championship trophy. I have a man crush on Josh Allen that my colleagues find odd. That being said, part of me misses the drama of Flutie v Johnson, Bledsoe v Losman, the Fitzpatrick upward trajectory followed by the downward trajectory, top 10 pick draft talk, checking the playoff tiebreakers to find a 1 in 1,000 chance of making the tournament, etc. I wonder if the large swings in outcomes of the past created a dopamine response in my brain.

No, but apparently Tua is gonna kick the Bills ass this weekend so maybe you have some hope?

On 9/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, Einstein said:

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I miss the euphoria of winning. It’s expected now.

5 pages in and noone has stated this very obvious fact in the NFL......any given Sunday. I think taking wins for granted is a set up for an even lower low when they DO lose a game .  No win in the NFL is a total Lock.  I get that this team is extremely talented. And with #17 playing his game and the Von effect on defense it is hard not to be optimistic. But do I miss losing? Heck no Ive had enough "character building" to last me a lifetime.  I think a lot of fans are riding the joy wave and Im with them.

**** losing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can understand maybe why Pats fans would have gotten bored after a while. That dynasty was not fun to watch. They won but it was just so boring and mechanical.

I will never get bored watching Josh Allen play QB. The regular season wins are nice but watching him develop into Peyton Manning with even better physical traits has been a joy to watch and I'll enjoy every play I can while he's here. The simple truth is that it is unlikely there will ever be a Bills player in my or anyone else on here's lifetime that will be more fun to watch. If you aren't enjoying that because you're nervous or bored I feel sorry for you.

I have losing PTSD, so I get what the OP is saying. Getting so caught up in fandom that the football or hockey content isn't as important to protect myself from the inevitable. I expect disaster but hope for none. That's a peace I made with myself after the 3rd Superbowl loss.  I also witnessed the Syracuse Orangemen win a national championship and it wasn't as big a deal as I'd made it out to be mentally after supporting them hard during the 80s and 90s. 

I'm in the "no matter what happens, this is fun" camp. I fear the darkness that will come if the team doesn't meet expectations. 

I don’t miss losing, but I will say the games aren’t as stressful and therefore don’t carry the same excitement with success as they used to. When the Bills are tied, or even down, there’s no anxiety just a calmness in me that fully expects the tides to turn. 

Expecting and knowing we’re going to win isn’t quite as much of a ride as thinking and hoping we win. 

On 9/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, Einstein said:

Ryan Reynolds Seriously GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

No, I don’t miss the losing. Or the terrible QB play. Or always hoping the backup was secretly better than the starter. Like, at all.

I will say, the only thing I miss is being able to watch a game without being nervous. Now the stakes feel so much higher and every game matters. I have a much harder time just relaxing and watching a game. Unless it’s a blow out… lol.

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

I thought oh crap this thread got bumped and I KNEW someone was going to express this....Oh How I love losing gut wrenching losses in s florida in late september

lol

😏

Seriously this thread and that "very few injury" thread really good top 10 cursed threads to start.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.