Does any part of you miss the losing?

Einstein

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i hear what you are saying actually. It was a totally different mindset, for sure.

I would pour over that Schedule and self-delude myself into thinking 10-6 every year! 

Yes! Now tell me you dont miss stuff like that a little bit?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Before you immediately jump to answer "NO", realize that this question does not mean that you don't like winning.

I enjoy the Bills recent success and I root for a championship trophy. I have a man crush on Josh Allen that my colleagues find odd. That being said, part of me misses the drama of Flutie v Johnson, Bledsoe v Losman, the Fitzpatrick upward trajectory followed by the downward trajectory, top 10 pick draft talk, checking the playoff tiebreakers to find a 1 in 1,000 chance of making the tournament, etc. I wonder if the large swings in outcomes of the past created a dopamine response in my brain.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps I am in a party of one?

Nope, not one bit.

Only thing I kinda miss is feeling like only Bills fans' and fans of AFC east rival teams were keying in on games that we played.

At work, as the lone Bills fan, it can sometimes be a little annoying having coworkers so gung-ho about giving me props because of the whooping the Bills put on a team the night before.

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes! Now tell me you dont miss stuff like that a little bit?

In all seriousness I miss it. But I think what we're really talking about is nostalgia. Which can be bittersweet.

I'll never recapture that experience I had v the Browns 2007, hoping to tie from 0-8, for OT to get a 6-8 record, a shot for wildcard at 8-8, then knocking off the Patriots. Then we ran a doomed screen play on 4th and long and got shut out.. I loved the irrational optimism more than anything. Every year. 

I'll never handle/miss/desire tanking well

Edited by FormerlyPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Before you immediately jump to answer "NO", realize that this question does not mean that you don't like winning.

I enjoy the Bills recent success and I root for a championship trophy. I have a man crush on Josh Allen that my colleagues find odd. That being said, part of me misses the drama of Flutie v Johnson, Bledsoe v Losman, the Fitzpatrick upward trajectory followed by the downward trajectory, top 10 pick draft talk, checking the playoff tiebreakers to find a 1 in 1,000 chance of making the tournament, etc. I wonder if the large swings in outcomes of the past created a dopamine response in my brain.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or perhaps I am in a party of one?

The playoff calculations were definitely fun.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

guessing you weren't a fan before they drafted OJ or in the mid 80'S  Hell no, I don't want to relive those days.

My main claim to fame as a Bills fan is that, as a kid, I was at Kay Stevenson’s last game against the vikings. The few Bills fans there were singing “good bye Kay” at the top of their lungs.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What you’re really describing is most likely a fear of success - pretty common in human nature.  Failure is a cozy old shoe; winning brings raises expectations and the spotlight and some fans just can’t handle all of that.

Yeah the OP seems like he's got some Charlie in him.

13251e49-fc03-4ded-a4fb-e7e3f9dc86fc_tex

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

My main claim to fame as a Bills fan is that, as a kid, I was at Kay Stevenson’s last game against the vikings. The few Bills fans there were singing “good bye Kay” at the top of their lungs.

was that the game viking's rb foreman was hit in the eye by a snowball?  Fans were really unhappy back then.  but probably not, those awful games all run together in my memory.

Edited by redtail hawk

7 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

was that the game viking's rb foreman was hit in the eye by a snowball?  Fans were really unhappy back then.  but probably not, those awful games all run together in my memory.

I was a kid so I don’t remember that. I do remember the empty stadium. Seems hard to imagine an empty Rich Stadium now.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.