Bonehead play of year nominee

djp14150

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't blame Chubb in the least.

You go up TWO scores with less than two minutes left in the game and the other team has NO time outs..........

it's next to impossible for a team to lose the game at that point.

The blame FULLY goes on the Browns D for allowing Joe freaking Flacco, that's right Joe Flacco, to march down the field TWICE in less than two minutes.

Plus, the Browns ST's allowed the Jets to recover an onside kick.

A lot had to go right for the Jets to win the game after Chubb crossed the goal line and the Browns did Browns things to allow the Jets to steal the game.

I agree - you don’t blame Chubb, but watching that drive - I do blame Hunt who twice went out of bounds well after picking up the 1st downs that cost them a ton of time.  Stay inbounds and the Browns win.

Now Chubb could of easily just ran out of bounds at the 1 because the 2 minute warning was after his play - so the clock was stopping either way, but I think that had little outcome - it was decisions before and poor coaching after that cost them the game.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

unless he times a dive perfectly, very difficult to stop past the 1st down marker and short of the goalline. Chubb wasn’t the reason they blew that

I agree, but as this was the play that took the clock to the 2minute warning - so the clock was stopping- he could of ran OOB at the 1 - much like he did years ago and guaranteed the win.

I don’t blame Chubb - Hunt was a much bigger issue - but that was bad situational football for an offense that entire drive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, djp14150 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34631088/cleveland-browns-rb-nick-chubb-admits-scoring-late-td-vs-new-york-jets-cost-us-game

Chubb admits fault…it’s the coaches fault.

for a referescher.

Browns at 12 first and 10 after the 2 min warning. The jets were out of time outs.

you should do just 3 kneel downs and win

instead browns give the ball to Chubb and he scores a TD. Miss XP

Jets get KO and on 2nd play get a 64 yd blown coverage TD

onside kick recovery

score another TD

XP wins game.

briwns had some time with time outs to get into FG or Hail Mary range. QB throws a pick.

I can’t remember the player, but we had during the drought era one of our guys ready to go into the end zone, but then there would be time left so the player fell down on the one yard line.  It was a really smart play.

It says a lot about Chubb to take ownership, but DJP, I agree with you, this was a Stefanski error.  Those players should’ve been told the game plan is to eat clock, not score.

To think Stefanski won coach of the year over McD makes me sick to my stomach.  I know the writers like the turnaround story, but what about the Coach who methodically improves his team play. Successfully for three years straight after cleaning up a mess.  I’ve often written IDC about pro bowls, top 100, and whatever power ranking is posted.  OPOY, DPOY, ROY, MVP, ALL PRO, COY, AND GMOY are significant awards.

Well see who is the better coach week 11 when we destroy Cleveland!  That’s what you get for making the worst financial trade for a QB ever who is one hair away from a rapist.

Sure, it would have been nice for Chubb to give himself up at the 1, but the Browns are still going to win 99%+ of the time whether he scores or not.  And it's completely unrealistic to expect an NFL player to intentionally not score unless he's told to do so by a coach.  Chubb's failure to make a smart play isn't a boneheaded play.  His coaching staff should have been more situationally aware.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I can’t remember the player, but we had during the drought era one of our guys ready to go into the end zone, but then there would be time left so the player fell down on the one yard line.  It was a really smart play.

It says a lot about Chubb to take ownership, but DJP, I agree with you, this was a Stefanski error.  Those players should’ve been told the game plan is to eat clock, not score.

To think Stefanski won coach of the year over McD makes me sick to my stomach.  I know the writers like the turnaround story, but what about the Coach who methodically improves his team play. Successfully for three years straight after cleaning up a mess.  I’ve often written IDC about pro bowls, top 100, and whatever power ranking is posted.  OPOY, DPOY, ROY, MVP, ALL PRO, COY, AND GMOY are significant awards.

Well see who is the better coach week 11 when we destroy Cleveland!  That’s what you get for making the worst financial trade for a QB ever who is one hair away from a rapist.

i can’t re all who it was but I recall that.

then there was the New England game at buffalo. Just under 2 and nNE out of time outs. We were down by 2, near the goal line. Kneeling just to burn the clock and kick a FG to win .  The patricheats players tried to push him into the end zone and got a unsportsmanlike/ personal foul.  Buffalo won 33-30 a FG with clock expiring.

there are a few games every year where the offensive team is down 2, 1, tied, or is up by 1 and the D is letting them score but the player goes down.

Edited by djp14150

5 hours ago, djp14150 said:

i can’t re all who it was but I recall that.

then there was the New England game at buffalo. Just under 2 and nNE out of time outs. We were down by 2, near the goal line. Kneeling just to burn the clock and kick a FG to win .  The patricheats players tried to push him into the end zone and got a unsportsmanlike/ personal foul.  Buffalo won 33-30 a FG with clock expiring.

there are a few games every year where the offensive team is down 2, 1, tied, or is up by 1 and the D is letting them score but the player goes down.

Im stuck on boring zoom calls for work today (always angle the laptop up so you can check you’re TBD when it’s bla bla, bla, bla, bla, bla).  I think it was Troy Vincent at the end of his career hear in Buffalo after Philly.  I don’t remember if a fumble or int, but he ran down the field and then just dropped to the ground on the one yard line.  Such a smart move from a veteran as he knew exactly what to do.

One of these “A beautiful minds guys” who remember every play for the last 50 years probably know the point of reference.  Anyway,  good topic DJP.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.