Bonehead play of year nominee

djp14150

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually bet that the odds were worse for the browns to win if Chubb had stopped short. That is, the odds of a muffed/fumbled snap on any of the three kneel downs probably was greater than what actually happened. 

I don’t know about that, but the real issue is that twice prior to that Hunt went out of bounds including the play before with 2:02 left.

If Chubb goes down the clock stops with 1:55 and it is 2nd down (unless he just slides at the 2, but either way the bigger issue was Hunt.

Did anyone notice who the holder for the Browns is?  Good old Bojo holding on a missed XP - coincidence?

Hmm.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t know about that, but the real issue is that twice prior to that Hunt went out of bounds including the play before with 2:02 left.

If Chubb goes down the clock stops with 1:55 and it is 2nd down (unless he just slides at the 2, but either way the bigger issue was Hunt.

Did anyone notice who the holder for the Browns is?  Good old Bojo holding on a missed XP - coincidence?

Hmm.

haha— I had no idea Bojo is in Cleveland now. That is classic. I am going to have to go back and see if the laces were out! 

Edit: holy cow! I went back and watched it and sure enough, the laces were in on the kick! It was bojo’s fault!!!  Stop this at 13:07:

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would love to see an analysis of the different odds there between three kneel downs and Chubb scoring. But it is hard to beat the near 100% that the browns were at after Chubb scored. 

You’re talking fumble on a kneel down (got to be about single digit times in the modern era). Then defense recover that ultra rare fumble. Then offense goes 90 yards to score and convert the extra point. And then win in overtime.

compared to score (common), onside (like 10%), score from mid field (common minus time constraints). And possibly be in overtime from there. 

both very rare but obviously the second is far more viable. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I totally disagree. He is going into score with about a minute left to make it a 14-point game. That wins the game. 

I don’t think it is fair to blame Chubb for the kicker missing a PAT, the defense folding on a long TD, the jets recovering an onsides kick, and the defense collapsing again.  When Chubb scored, the Browns had a 99% win probability. 

Yes, but kneeling makes it a 100% percent probability. Whether you’re playing against the Jets or the 2007 Pats, it’s a stupid decision. Just like not squib kicking it when there’s only 13 seconds left. It’s start with the coaching…

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes. He did it before.

THIS! ^^^^ 

I didn’t see the Sunday play at the time, but when I did, I immediately recalled that Chubb was involved in an identical situation.

So, while the HC should have reminded him, it’s on Chubb. He knew what to do from his OWN prior history! 

There was a lotta stupid in Week 2, but this was the worst.

(Addendum: I trust McDermott has gone over ‘13 Seconds’ 1000x by now to ensure HE does it perfectly the next time!)

20 hours ago, djp14150 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34631088/cleveland-browns-rb-nick-chubb-admits-scoring-late-td-vs-new-york-jets-cost-us-game

Chubb admits fault…it’s the coaches fault.

for a referescher.

Browns at 12 first and 10 after the 2 min warning. The jets were out of time outs.

you should do just 3 kneel downs and win

instead browns give the ball to Chubb and he scores a TD. Miss XP

Jets get KO and on 2nd play get a 64 yd blown coverage TD

onside kick recovery

score another TD

XP wins game.

briwns had some time with time outs to get into FG or Hail Mary range. QB throws a pick.

Man, I sure am glad that the league isn't actively doing business with bookmakers, because this would sure look like a fix job (especially the Browns coverage guy along the sideline on the onside kick who just seems to stare into space and do nothing).

I will repeat that Chubb should of known better, but his TD run started at 2:02 - without a 1st down (sliding down inside the 2) the Browns couldn’t run out the clock.

The Bonehead was Kareem Hunt - he cost the Browns the game.  The Browns scored on a 42 yard drive that took just 35 seconds and was 6 plays, but the biggest issue is twice after getting 1st downs - Hunt ran OB before the 2 minute warning and both times he was well past the 1st down line and just needed to get down.

1st on 3rd and 6 with 2:15 left - Hunt catches an 11 yard swing pass and goes out of bound taking only 6 seconds and leaving the Jets 1 time out.

Then after using a timeout on Hunts next run- Hunt breaks outside for 11 yards and goes out of bound with 2:02 left.  That was egregious.

That made it 1st down from the 12 and of course then Chubb scores.  The only chance the Jets had was if Chubb scored and then he did them that favor.

That was terrible coaching and more importantly terrible field awareness by 2 veteran players - and I hope that costs the Browns their season.  Stupid team, Stupid coach, Stupid organization.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, djp14150 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34631088/cleveland-browns-rb-nick-chubb-admits-scoring-late-td-vs-new-york-jets-cost-us-game

for a referescher.

Browns at 12 first and 10 after the 2 min warning. The jets were out of time outs.

onside kick recovery

score another TD

XP wins game.

briwns had some time with time outs to get into FG or Hail Mary range. QB throws a pick.

this sounds like something that would have happened to us not so long ago

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

The amount of people in that thread who don't understand the basic concept of kneeling it out for the win rather than giving the other team the ball back, makes me sad.  So many idiots screaming rigged.

It’s a CRITICAL end of game indice for a HC. In 2022, there is ZERO excuse. A HC is paid mega millions to be an expert in multi components of the game and end of game, time management is at the top of the list!

I’ve said for a decade, that EVERY HC interview must have at least a 1/2 dozen, end of game, time, down and distance questions, to each be answered in < 10 seconds.

You simply MUST know the answers and exactly what to do and get that imparted.

And with 13 seconds to go, 🙄you absolutely call a TO to instruct every critical aspect with those who you are relying on for the W.

On 9/20/2022 at 6:16 PM, Gugny said:

This is almost as bad as not telling your kicker to squib it.

How does a squib kick help you in that situation ?

The clock doesn't start until a player on the receiving team touches the ball. If the player just falls on it, he's giving himself up and the clock doesn't move, or it takes just a tenth or two off the clock as the play is over.

The kickoff was fine, not holding all of their receivers on first down cost them the game. That and calling not one but two time outs so the Chiefs could talk it over on what to do.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, djp14150 said:

for a referescher.

onside kick recovery

score another TD

XP wins game.

unless he times a dive perfectly, very difficult to stop past the 1st down marker and short of the goalline. Chubb wasn’t the reason they blew that

I don't blame Chubb in the least.

You go up TWO scores with less than two minutes left in the game and the other team has NO time outs..........

it's next to impossible for a team to lose the game at that point.

The blame FULLY goes on the Browns D for allowing Joe freaking Flacco, that's right Joe Flacco, to march down the field TWICE in less than two minutes.

Plus, the Browns ST's allowed the Jets to recover an onside kick.

A lot had to go right for the Jets to win the game after Chubb crossed the goal line and the Browns did Browns things to allow the Jets to steal the game.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't blame Chubb in the least.

You go up TWO scores with less than two minutes left in the game and the other team has NO time outs..........

it's next to impossible for a team to lose the game at that point.

The blame FULLY goes on the Browns D for allowing Joe freaking Flacco, that's right Joe Flacco, to march down the field TWICE in less than two minutes.

Plus, the Browns ST's allowed the Jets to recover an onside kick.

A lot had to go right for the Jets to win the game after Chubb crossed the goal line and the Browns did Browns things to allow the Jets to steal the game.

💯 💯 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.