Pro Football Hall of Fame Announces 129 Modern-Era Nominees for Class of 2023

chongli

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2022/129-modern-era-nominees-announced-for-pro-football-hall-of-fame’s-class-of-2023/

"Those making the list for consideration for the first time include running back Chris Johnson, offensive linemen Jahri Evans and Joe Thomas, defensive lineman Dwight Freeney, linebackers NaVorro Bowman and James Harrison, defensive backs Kam Chancellor and Darrelle Revis and punter Shane Lechler. "

Formers Bills nominated are G Ruben Brown, LB London Fletcher, and K Gary Anderson (played for us only in the pre-season of 1982 before we cut him).

25 semi-finalists will be announced in November.

Edited by chongli

6 minutes ago, chongli said:

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2022/129-modern-era-nominees-announced-for-pro-football-hall-of-fame’s-class-of-2023/

"Those making the list for consideration for the first time include running back Chris Johnson, offensive linemen Jahri Evans and Joe Thomas, defensive lineman Dwight Freeney, linebackers NaVorro Bowman and James Harrison, defensive backs Kam Chancellor and Darrelle Revis and punter Shane Lechler. "

Harrison, Freeney, Thomas and Revis should be the only ones getting in IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Harrison, Freeney, Thomas and Revis should be the only ones getting in IMO.

Jahri Evans has the accolades, but obviously being an interior linemen seems to give you a lesser chance. But he was a 6 time pro bowler and 4 time First-Team All Pro.

Guys like Bowman, Chris Johnson, and Chancellor shouldn't be anywhere close, honestly.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe Thomas and Revis Island are locks. 

No Tasker on the list? Or is he on the old guys list now?

Yep, his would be nominated by the senior committee since this is his 25th season of retirement. His last year of regular eligibility was for this past class.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/2022/24-finalists-named-for-class-of-2023-in-seniors,-coach-contributor-categories/

"In separate elections announced Wednesday, the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee and its Coach/Contributor Committee have reduced their respective lists for consideration for the Class of 2023 to 12 Finalists each.

In the Seniors category, the Finalists are: Ken Anderson, Maxie Baughan, Randy Gradishar, Chuck Howley, Cecil Isbell, Joe Klecko, Bob Kuechenberg, Eddie Meador, Tommy Nobis, Ken Riley, Sterling Sharpe and Everson Walls."

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Rico said:

HOF’er Ruben Brown. :lol: 

49 out of 53 inactive players with 8 or more pro bowls are in the HOF. I know that was sort of the running joke with Brown, how he always seemed to end up in the Pro Bowl, as quality nominees dwindle and reality slips away, things like individual accolades start to play a big role in this. It would actually surprise me if Brown didn't make it at this point. We will see.

Man, they just aren't ever going to put Tasker in, are they? It's a shame.

And I absolutely love Pat McAfee and his show, but is he deserving of the hall? 8-year career, 1 All-pro, 2 pro bowls, 46.4 yard punting average on 575 punts? I hardly remember him in the league and he only retired 6 years ago. This isn't a knock on Pat (as he was very humble about it and said, "Put Lechler in, not me...I didn't play long enough or have a big enough impact on the game"), it's a knock on the Hall selectors. Pat had a real nice career, just not HOF worthy imo.

Punter comparisons:

Shane Lechler (nominated this year): 18-year career, 9 All-Pros, 7 Pro bowls, 47.6 yard punting average on 1,444 punts.

Ray Guy (in Hall): 14-year career, 4 All-pros, 7 Pro Bowls, 42.4 yd avg on 1,049 punts.

Sean Landeta (not in Hall): 21-year career, 3 All-pros, 2 Pro Bowls, 43.3 yd avg on 1,401 punts.

Reggie Roby (not in Hall): 16-year career, 3 All Pros, 3 Pro Bowls, 43.3 yd avg on 992 punts.

Brian Moorman (obv not in Hall): 13-year career, 2 All Pros, 2 Pro Bowls, 43.8 yd avg on 979 punts

And so many more. I threw Brian in there just for comparison, there are many others (including some real old-timers) that are probably above Moorman and McAfee. Sure, Pat's yards per punt average is really good, but he only played 8 years. If he played another 6-10 years and punted 500-900 more balls (like the other guys listed above), would his average have held? Lechler deserves to be in, no doubt, but I'd rather a special teamer like Tasker (13 years and 7 Pro Bowls as a STer) make it over someone like Pat. And I think there are other punters ahead of Pat too.

The HOF has become so watered down and yet there are lots of guys that are deserving that can't seem to make it. Seems like it is more about names and personalities now than consistent, elite play over a long period of time on the field.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Weak list. This is why I hate that we have a quota every single year. Only put the guys in that really deserve it. Skip years if you need to.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

HOF has turned into Hall of players that were good.

Harrison, Freeney, Thomas and Revis were all elite, all-pro, generational players.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Harrison, Freeney, Thomas and Revis were all elite, all-pro, generational players.

Great, so let's put them in. Let's not scrape the barrel for 10 to 15 guys every single year (over 30 in 2020!).

Guys that are shoo-ins, even if not this year:

Holt, Joe Thomas, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, Revis, Freeney, & Simeon Rice.

Eric Allen should already be in. He was elite in his era, made 7 Pro Bowls, & only missed 7 games in a 14yr career.

With recent HOFers with short periods of dominance like Boselli, maybe Patrick Willis or Priest Holmes has a shot. Holmes has 94 career TDs, and Willis made the Pro Bowl all 7 of his healthy seasons. Both had very dominant primes.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I can understand why people don't like him with the bits that him and his crew do but I think he's actually one of the better personalities that doesn't just spew back what everyone else is saying and actually speaks his mind (right, wrong or indifferent).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.