The short yardage conundrum

Einstein

19 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Looking at the Jaguar game, the Bills had a 1st and goal from the 3 that eventually became a field goal, a third and 3 that ended up as an interception and a third and 2 which led to -1 yard run and fumble by Allen.   So not quite 1 yard to go but still pretty short yardage.

Against the Steelers, they had a failed 3rd and 1 flea-flicker, a 3rd and 3 incompletion, a 3rd and 3 run for two yards which led to a failed 4th and 1.

There were times last year that I felt more confident they would convert on a 3rd and 7 than a 3rd and 2 (even though I am sure the statistics will probably say that is not true.)

Good points.  That 4th and 1 play was that funky pitch play that Cam Sutton blew up.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

The Chiefs do that Kelce thing. The Bills could do a Knox thing. You have show different looks to get the defense to play honest. Bills don’t do that AT ALL.

We need more than a trick.

We need to be able to blow their d-line off the ball when it matters most.

Why can’t we ever QB sneak??

• Agree 1

Conversely, the defense can't stop anyone on 3rd & long...

The 2 spots that are supposed to be the easiest to convert, the Bills struggle with. On offense, can't gain 1 yard when we need to. On defense, 3rd & 20 is an automatic layup for opposing offenses for some bizarre reason.

Truly a weird dynamic this team has...😅

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Conversely, the defense can't stop anyone on 3rd & long...

The 2 spots that are supposed to be the easiest to convert, the Bills struggle with. On offense, can't gain 1 yard when we need to. On defense, 3rd & 20 is an automatic layup for opposing offenses for some bizarre reason.

Truly a weird dynamic this team has...😅

Yes.

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We need more than a trick.

We need to be able to blow their d-line off the ball when it matters most.

Why can’t we ever QB sneak??

They seem to be scared of calling QB sneaks since last year's Titans game.  Weird, since I think Allen was something like 29 out of 30 before that.

I personally was hoping for three QB sneaks in a row, if necessary, at the end of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

They seem to be scared of calling QB sneaks since last year's Titans game.  Weird, since I think Allen was something like 29 out of 30 before that.

I personally was hoping for three QB sneaks in a row, if necessary, at the end of the game.

Yes, i’ve noticed that too and wrote a bit about it in my McDermott thread.

Our short yardage issues continue.

Wonder if the people early on in this thread, who mocked me for being concerned about this when we were scoring a lot, still feel that way.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

72 to 17 

and you are worried??

😳 😬 

Yes. And you should be too.

Because even during blowouts, you can see problems forming. And those problems follow you from week to week. Just like this short yardage issue has.

If we don't run the ball when we are not in 3rd and 1 why would we all of a sudden be great at running when we get in short yardage.  We are just a throw all the time team and that makes us predictable on all downs and out of rhythm in short yardage when we actually want to be able to get a yard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.