The short yardage conundrum

Einstein

As great as this team is, the offense struggles in short yardage situations.

The Bills were dead-last in the NFL last season on 3rd and 1. And they were 0-4 on 3rd or 4th and 1 last night.

Question: Why do you think the Bills struggle in this area and what specifically do you feel that they can do to improve this facet of their offense?

Edit: A poster pointed out that we did actually convert one 4th and 1 last night. Sorry about the incorrectness above.

Edited by Einstein

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Bills were dead-last in the NFL last season on 3rd and 1. And they were 0-4 on 3rd or 4th and 1 last night.

Question: Why do you think the Bills struggle in this area and what specifically do you feel that they can do to improve this facet of their offense?

We scored a TD on 4th and 1 last night so... 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Singletary should be the short yardage back. He finds a tiny crack & slices through it better than just about any RB in the league. Him over Moss in those situations should be a no-brainer. So what if he's small, he accelerates in an instant and gets positive yardage.

Moss runs hard & is a big body, but takes longer to get going & struggles to find a crease if a hole isn't initially there.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

They try and get too cute at times instead of just running a play that will pick it up or sneaking Allen

I dont think it's homerism, but it seems to me that Defenses play the sneak more against us than other teams. What I mean is, when I see other teams in short yardage, the DL lines up like they normally do. Against the Bills, they'll stack all 4 DL between our 2 Guards. Giving Allen no lane to sneak. Makes it tougher for us to get the sneak through. And given how soft our Interior OL is, it makes sense that we dont (cant) run up and sneak it.

I've always thought Any Down and 1 yard should be an automatic pick up for a team. Especially when your QB is Allen's size. Just fall forward and you get 2 yards automatically. But teams have been effective at stopping that.

I type all this to say, likely time to upgrade from Morse.

• Disagree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think it's homerism, but it seems to me that Defenses play the sneak more against us than other teams. What I mean is, when I see other teams in short yardage, the DL lines up like they normally do. Against the Bills, they'll stack all 4 DL between our 2 Guards. Giving Allen no lane to sneak. Makes it tougher for us to get the sneak through. And given how soft our Interior OL is, it makes sense that we dont (cant) run up and sneak it.

I've always thought Any Down and 1 yard should be an automatic pick up for a team. Especially when your QB is Allen's size. Just fall forward and you get 2 yards automatically. But teams have been effective at stopping that.

I type all this to say, likely time to upgrade from Morse.

Yes, which is why I think an off-tackle sneak might work better for us than a guard/center sneak.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It was evident yesterday they don't want Josh running the way he has in the past.  That's OK with me.

Seems to me the team has put the emphasis on the pass pro for the OL which can be confirmed by the fact they can throw the ball anywhere

they want to.

The weather is fine and passing the ball all over the place seems to be the smart move.  They got plenty of time to bring around the

running game as time goes by.

• Like (+1) 1

They didn’t want Josh running last night.  Had I believe 3 fourth and 1’s?  Josh should have RPO’d or just swing left or right die then first.

Fet we don’t want him hurt, especially in a game we are winning.  If it’s a close game, run him.

Otherwise, on obvious short yardage runs, defense stacks the box and seems we don’t get a great push?

OL is average. More specifically, OL is better pass blockers than run blockers. You can basically forget running on 3rd/4th and 1 because they get no push against a loaded up front. And in those situations, Allen ends up panicking and having to create. It's not sustainable.

Edited by Airseven

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I honestly think its because they take it out of Josh's hands in too many of those situations.   Just let him run the RPO like it's 1st or 2nd down and all will be well.  I mean the fact that they're converting like 80% on 3rd and long says something..

Edited by Lost

No problem trying to address any chinks in the Bills armor.  

Seems like they need a beast running back for short yards.  

Singletary is 5-7, Moss is 5-9, both are 205 or so.  Cook is a 5-11 string bean.  

The FB Gilliam is 6 feet 244 but does he have it?  

Spend a high pick on a RB.  

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.