Sean freaking McDermott...let's offense just do what they do...

Hebert19

Truthfully, I had the opposite take on his 4th down decisions last night. 

You have a human cheat code at QB operating one of the best offenses in the league. If you have a 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the field you should almost always be trying to convert it. It shouldn't require the QB to wave at the sidelines to convince the head coach of that. 

Why are we bothering with these shenanigans trying to draw the opponent offside? 

It's backfired on us a number of times. Including our failed 4th and 1 attempt where Shakir didn't react after the ball was snapped. It looked like the offense wasn't ready to run a play (presumably b/c McDermott didn't want them to run a play - just try to get Titans to jump). This also happened in the Steelers game last year.

27 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

I particularly loved his timeout on fourth down that stopped an Offside and an easy first down. He is a clown when it comes down to game management, and there are only two reasons why this team will not win the Super Bowl this year, and he is one of them, the other the wrong injury to the best player.

He’s literally one of the best coaches in the NFL… What he’s done to the bills organization 100% proves it

And we have the best player in the NFL

We just kicked two teams asses in a row you’re definitely grasping

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Was listening to the herd today and he makes a great point.  Mcdy is a defensive coach thay stays out of the way.  Let's beane get offensive weapons.  Hires great o coordinators.  And honest to God I think he let's josh make most of the calls on 4th down.  Last week and last night you could see McDermott thinking about what to do and josh just says we are going and he just says let's do it.   It's amazing. He has 100 percent faith is his QB and his hires and it is a beautiful thing. 

He has gone from a solid conservative coach to a fantastic coach.  Props to him. 

I trust Josh's instincts in a lot of these situations more so than McD so let him have the reigns.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

There were NO designed runs for Josh last night. That makes McDermott happy 

What's the "over" on McDermott having heart palpitations when Josh hurdled that guy and came down on one foot, awkwardly, then got the first down?

Jeesh that guy is an incredible athlete, anyone else destroys their ankle there but he has the timing and strength to push off and free his foot before he goes down.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Valid argument. But with this offense there are very few scenarios where we should be putting on 4th and 1 from the 50. Think we could have just kept our foot on their throats in that spot.

Not a huge deal, and yes, it did work out well.

At that distance a sand wedge might have been more appropriate. 

The punt on 4th and 1 from the 50 was really bad. But in general McD is good in those situations.

Could be nitpicking, but tt wasn't 4th and 1 - they took a delay of game penalty so it was 4th and 6.  I think we all would've liked to have seen them run a play instead of taking the penalty, but on the flip side they have been pretty aggressive going for it on 4th and short, so maybe they thought they could get a guy to jump

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Was listening to the herd today and he makes a great point.  Mcdy is a defensive coach thay stays out of the way.  Let's beane get offensive weapons.  Hires great o coordinators.  And honest to God I think he let's josh make most of the calls on 4th down.  Last week and last night you could see McDermott thinking about what to do and josh just says we are going and he just says let's do it.   It's amazing. He has 100 percent faith is his QB and his hires and it is a beautiful thing. 

He has gone from a solid conservative coach to a fantastic coach.  Props to him. 

Good post, but I will refute one thing here...there has been no point in his tenure that McD was ever conservative. 

It was a myth and narrative forced upon him over the fact his background was defensive.  He got a bad rap when he first got here and we had zero playmakers to turn to.  But since the day he got here, he has been willing to take chances and been aggressive every season.  There have been a few instances where he made the absolutely correct football decision that people turned into a conservative narrative, even when his decision proved correct.  But those few instances don't make him conservative, sometimes you have to make a tough call in a specific situation.  Doesn't erase all the other times he was aggressive.  

And since the day Josh got here, he has turned him loose and let him just play his game.  And he started trusting Allen and his ability and drive to make a play all the way back in his rookie season where they really started turning Josh loose when he returned from injury.  

I can honestly say that I have never sat back and watched a single game McD has coached and came away feeling like this guy is conservative.  

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

?

We punted on 4th and 7 from our own 48.

Yes because offense was not looking good at that point and more likely something bad than something good would happen if they went for it.

Our rent-a-kicker is not a god (previous one was struck down due to blasphemy) but he has some tricks newly minted kickers do not have.

Sorry but I still need to see what McD does in a critical situation again late in a game when this team is either ahead by a few points, tied, or trailing.

Because the warning signs were still there that he doesn't seem to make the best decisions and still fear that could cost this team when it matters again like KC last year.

I also think the 0-6 in close games stigma isn't going away until proven otherwise as well.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

At no point last night did I think that McD put a stranglehold on the offense.  And honestly, I don't know why this thread even exists.

It's now on to game 3, the Bills destroyed another potential playoff opponent last night, and really, who cares?  If this keeps going, at least at scale, this team cannot be stopped in the 2022-3 season.  Let's all hope for that.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stenbar said:

I particularly loved his timeout on fourth down that stopped an Offside and an easy first down. He is a clown when it comes down to game management, and there are only two reasons why this team will not win the Super Bowl this year, and he is one of them, the other the wrong injury to the best player.

You people still exist?

We have the best team we have had in decades, maybe ever, have been murdering our opponents ruthlessly, and you continue to talk bad about the one man who started all of it? Just incredible.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Sorry but I still need to see what McD does in a critical situation again late in a game when this team is either ahead by a few points, tied, or trailing.

I'm sure McDermott can improve in your view if he modeled his decision making on a different McCoach in our division

Me, I think you're silly

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post, but I will refute one thing here...there has been no point in his tenure that McD was ever conservative. 

It was a myth and narrative forced upon him over the fact his background was defensive.  He got a bad rap when he first got here and we had zero playmakers to turn to.  But since the day he got here, he has been willing to take chances and been aggressive every season.  There have been a few instances where he made the absolutely correct football decision that people turned into a conservative narrative, even when his decision proved correct.  But those few instances don't make him conservative, sometimes you have to make a tough call in a specific situation.  Doesn't erase all the other times he was aggressive.  

And since the day Josh got here, he has turned him loose and let him just play his game.  And he started trusting Allen and his ability and drive to make a play all the way back in his rookie season where they really started turning Josh loose when he returned from injury.  

I can honestly say that I have never sat back and watched a single game McD has coached and came away feeling like this guy is conservative.  

Exactly. Just a bunch of ignorant fans who claim otherwise. I don't get it. And there are legitimately a handful of fans who seem to hate McDermott. It's incredible.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Stenbar said:

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Because the warning signs were still there that he doesn't seem to make the best decisions and still fear that could cost this team when it matters again like KC last year.

I also think the 0-6 in close games stigma isn't going away until proven otherwise as well.

Have you two ever been seen in the same room at the same time?

Enquiring minds wish to know

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm sure McDermott can improve in your view if he modeled his decision making on a different McCoach in our division

Me, I think you're silly

I'll never truly believe McDermott is 'the guy' until he gets this team to a SB.

Bad coaching is often overlooked when you are running other teams off the field but at some point when things tighten up (and trust me they will no matter how good this team is this year) it's coaching that ultimately decides a game and that's exactly what happened last year in KC no matter how many want to forget about that game.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

I'll never truly believe McDermott is 'the guy' until he gets this team to a SB

When Champion Bills

hold their Buffalo Parade

You will still doubt him

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Bad coaching is often overlooked when you are running other teams off the field but at some point when things tighten up (and trust me they will no matter how good this team is this year) it's coaching that ultimately decides a game and that's exactly what happened last year in KC no matter how many want to forget about that game.

Stuffing opponents

While scoring a lot ourselves

Is not Bad Coaching

• Haha (+1) 1

The punt on 4th and 1 from the 50 was really bad. But in general McD is good in those situations.

We were up 24-7 at that time midway through the 3rd quarter. If we had no gotten that 4th and 1(a solid likelihood with our short yardage yesterday), we could have let the Titans back in the game by giving them a short field to make it 24-14 in the 3rd. We ended up punting, and it benefitted us after the fumble by getting an extra 3 points regardless. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.